1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Keypad to enter code and start PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WizardLock, 16 Nov 2003.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

while this is a valid point... what is to stop someone unplugging your wonderful device and shorting the pins with a penny or screwdriver?

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

At work I removed the power button completely as the BIOS on my mainboard allows me to boot up by pressing a key sequence. In my case, the computer won't boot at all unless you press CTRL-F1.

3. Cinco5

Cinco5 What's a Dremel?

As for the shutdown, the holding of the button be controled in some bios'es

4. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

Problem spotted...

Hi all...

Been a while since I've had the chance to make a post... Damn exams....

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to read all of the replies in this thread, but i think i can see 1 very obvious problem that many of you have appeared to overlook (suprisingly?!?) :eyebrow:

You could just unplug the device and start the computer with a screwdriver in any case right? cause all you have to do is short the jumper. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of setting it all up in the first place? unless you make use of some sort of chassis intrusion system to work hand in hand with it... so that like if the chassis is open the power goes off?

Mabey I'm looking into it too much. I'm guessing its not for stopping the l33t computer gurus and others alike, but more for cosmetics?

Good luck either ways.

That is all...

--FearsomeMouse

5. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

yeah, you have missed a few replies :rolleyes:

6. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

Im doing this to my next pc (definatly getting by X-mas).
    personaly, im ONLY doing this for the coolness factor. Im cutting out the power/reset buttons on a Pc-61 and putting the Domino keypad in, mounted on plexi(if the keypad case can be opened and removed.
    Truthfully, im over a month away from doing this and i already have the plexi, wires, keypad coming in the mail today, and a brand new, un opened set of files for this.

7. iStormy

iStormy What's a Dremel?

Here's a kit for performing the logic in a 9-key keypad (USA source). It doesn't have a real keypad, so you can build or buy one that looks the way you want it to.

It's $11, has a basic touch-pad that you could solder your custom button wires to, and a relay to control an external power source. 4-digit configurable code. Resets itself after a wrong combination.

8. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

9. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

it seems as though you could also use one of these keypads to work a relay that could kill/reactivate your usb mouse/keyboard and cd/dvd rom eject switch...doesnt it?

i have been thinking about something like this for a while, but recently i was wondering about using a magnetic bar code reader to supply power to the computer. like the ones at the gas station on the pump, but slip it in and pull it out and your computer boots up. that would be pretty swank. any ideas on this too? possibly using the two together like maybe a multiply redundant system where if i loose the magnetic card, i could enter a keycode and still boot up.

10. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

http://www.gideontech.com/guides/electronic_lock/

11. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

ive seen that, was thinking about doing it. that card has holes in it wich turns me off. i was thinking of maybe getting a reader and training it to like, my atm card or something....anyways.

back on topic, i found this PDF that shows how to build the keylock already shown. it wouldnt be as pretty unless you could design and etch your own pcb, but it seems like its an easy circuit to make.

my question is this, do you think the keypad in this kit could easily be replace with one from maplin or somewhere? i noticed the kit only has 9 keys though, most keypads have 12. i guess two of the extra three could be wired to reset and say the * key wired to a number so you type 1234* but it really interprets 12341 or something.

does anyone know off hand if this will work, switching out they keypads?