1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have thought that too! LED and Compact Fluorescent bulbs are no good for keeping you warm in the winter :D

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG]

Needed a kit bag for cycling

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

S'the future, man, I'm telling you: smart heating!

I've already worked out a way to have it power on when the temperature reaches a minimum level then power off when it reaches an upper level, just like a proper thermostatically-controlled heater - and only using parts I've already got lying around. Just waiting for the thing to be delivered now!

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

:clap:Brilliant! I'd expect no less of you, sir.

Hopefully there is something interesting doing the thermal control: Arduino / Pi / Micro:Bit...

I haven't looked at mining, are there things that are better to attempt than others? I gather that it's hard to get a real benefit these days with the electricity and hardware costs.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Arduino - well, a compatible. Going to hook it into the 3.3VSB line of the ATX power supply, which will mean it stays powered on measuring the temperature even when the PSU is 'off.' At least, that's the theory!
    If you buy the very latest generation hardware - the Antminer S9, basically - and you've got 10p-per-kilowatt or lower electricity, you can make a bit of money, but not much. As soon as the next generation comes out, that'll change: it's basically chasing the dragon. The faster the ASICs get, the more hashing power the pools have; the more hashing power the pools have, the quicker the difficulty ramps up and the lower the rewards get; the quicker the difficulty ramps up the more hashing power you need.

To make real money at it, you pretty much need free electricity. The bulk of the mining power is centralised in China, 'cos they've got a bunch of hydroelectric plants and the like with excess power and no way to store it. They've got warehouses filled with petahash upon petahash of power, and my little 441 gigahash Antminer ain't going to make a dent!

It's a bit different for other coins: some have deliberately chosen algorithms which are difficult to build an ASIC for, so GPU mining is still a thing. Those coins don't tend to be worth much, though, so it may still not be profitable unless - again - you've got free electricity.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Laptop as a hot water bottle?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Smartphone as a hand-warmer!

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've always wanted to build a water cooled PC/underfloor heating system. It's on my to-do list.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Huawei Honor 4X

[​IMG]

I needed a Dual SIM phone with decent battery life - picked up a used one, boxed and in mint condition, for £60 because his wife said it was too big for her hands - couldn't find anything fitting the bill that comes even close to that.

I'm fairly impressed - it outlasts my Moto G 3rd Gen and performs better too. Don't know if it will receive updates beyond Android 6.0 (would quite like to configure a MicroSD as 1st tier storage), but it's a tiny niggle.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

In a strange turn of events involving a garage sale at an ex's place (loooong time ago.. and maybe "ex" is overstating what transpired) that I didn't really want to attend (she's selling off a whole lot of her deceased dad's "clutter"), I picked up a complete collection of Prince Valiant books (in German - so it's Prinz Eisenherz) for the price of three beers.

I grew up on those books (a VERY partial collection), and my father and me share the weird obsession with them.
    I thought about importing some second hand ones off of Amazon, but the shipping would KILL me.
    Consider dad's bday present SORTED.

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

New wiper blades for the Saab:

[​IMG]

Very, very highly recommended.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The hidden downside of Pcs getting more efficient, you'll actually have to turn the heating on, no more heating a one bed room flat solely with the excess heat from an oc'd 4870x2:D

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Put as set on my Yaris, made a world of difference, just a shame that i couldn't get one for the back

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ordered the replacement for my stolen bike :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This may need to go, though.

[​IMG]

When they said that they had used all period parts I was hoping that they'd have at least used something more comfy :D

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a much overdue and needed upgrade.

Asus z-170 A
    [​IMG]

i7 6700k
    [​IMG]

4x 4gig DDR4 pc3200 Corsair Dominator platinum
    [​IMG]

:clap:

Last edited: 15 Nov 2016
  16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

May copy you on those fellow weird car owner, not sure if mine are just missing a patch or being daft. Did you go with 22"s 23"s or a mix?

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

:duh:

19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

22" on both sides since Bosch don't make a 23" version. The 22"s fit perfectly, no missed spots on my '05 9-5.

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Now that I have access to laser cutter, I just buyed me a sheet of acrylic to play around with making a backplate for my graphics card.

I would post a picture but it's 3mm thick, black and glossy...

Last edited: 15 Nov 2016