1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

3. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

R5 3600... and I'm prepared for said update. :p

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Jolly good!

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

It's part of the (reasonable, to me) paranoia that goes with a new build...

Spending the money is the easy bit; deciding what to put in the 'basket' is the bit that takes 100x longer.

6. Gareth Halfacree

I made a boo-boo with my last upgrade: I stupidly thought that boards sold as micro-ATX would, y'know, adhere to the micro-ATX standard. Like my last board, which had two PCIe x16 slots, a PCIe 4x slot, and a 32-bit PCI slot. Turns out that the board I bought is micro-ATX-minus-a-bit, and only has one PCIe x16 slot and two PCIe x4 slots. One of which you can't actually use 'cos it's under the graphics card's cooler.

Ah, well, ne'er mind!

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Labelled micro - closer to mini...?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye mATX is up to 4 expansion slots, and they're not always the same. Handy that.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Basic chipset mATX boards have been a real size lottery for a long time.
    The smallest seem to be 'ITX' width with 2 DIMM slots and are '2 PCIe slots' long, sometimes 3 if you're lucky.

The former are, as stated a bit useless when GPU is in place, as there's no chance of getting anything in slot 2

I have a B250 that is full length but 22cm wide...At least they put the M.2 where the 'useless' 1x PCIe slot below the 16x
    would usually be; then a 1x in slot 3. and a full length 4x in slot 4. Also unlike a more expensive Z270 mATX board that is 24x24cm, this one has 2 M.2 slots both on top pf the board - good design thinking.
    Also seen some newer 'narrow' mATX boards that have a PCIe 1x in slot 1, with the main 16x below in slot 2, therefore guaranteeing one useable slot for sound card/WiFi card etc

@Gareth Halfacree At least they're 4x not 1x slots...handy for PCIe M.2 cards if nothing else.

Is that the same old up to as used in broadband adverts? ;)

adidan likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Buying stuff makes me ill. Like you say, paying for it takes about 20 seconds but the mental thrash needed to decide makes me ill.

So much so that 2 months ago I spent my entire monthly allowance within 3 hours of getting it just to take away the torture of trying to decide.

Thankfully I never ever spend beyond my means but that technique didn't work either. I am leaning hard on my mental health centre to actually help me but crap, that's a total waste of time also.

And no, Britain, putting Prince Harry on TV and telling everyone he suffers from depression doesn't fix anything. Nor does telling you to listen to your friends and be more sensitive. Proper mental health services cost money.

Once they learn to help people the homeless problem will be solved.

11. Gareth Halfacree

I've got a two-slot AIB GPU in the x16 and an HDMI capture card (which is just x1) in the one x4 slot I can actually access. Even then it's right flush up against half the first fan of the GPU, but it doesn't seem to have hurt temperatures any.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Massive Gail Carriger fan, and after finishing the Parasol Protectorate series last month, I'm overjoyed to find out that the series continues, albeit several years on. Good Omens, because mine was destroyed by my ex, and Romancing the Werewolf because yay gay werewolves.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG]

Now to wait on it (from Americashire) order the adaptor plate, and a power brick

Goatee and Arboreal like this.
  14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

4 bricks of Italy's finest
    [​IMG]

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's a tasty little PSU... what are you planning to power it with?

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Forgot to respond to this, are you actually going to use it?

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Its both for use (messing around with 775 crossfire) and for display purposes.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My current rig really so ITX board 16Gb DDR4 Ryzen 2400G an M2 and SSD. Theres enough juice wise left to slap my RX570 back in if I so wish.
    Need to hunt down a dell 330W power brick and order some new case panels so I can mount it.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2019
  19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hope you do some serious clocking, can't have a rare board like that waste away on a shelf :D

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Planning to clock the Q6600 as far as it will go.

Also planning on picking up a QX6850 and going for 4Ghz+. This may require a large AIO, ICE and zip ties, lots and lots of zip ties.... :D:D