Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

FFS… the turned up this evening, but the right ear is dead. The case claims it’s fully charged but won’t switch on, won’t pair, no LED to speak of :grr:

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Was about to quote your previous post about those :) was interested in what they'd be like but looks like not so hot lol

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not a glowing recommendation so far. I’ve left them to charge for a bit more since they’ve not had the full 2 hours as per the instruction leaflet. But the left one was 86% and the right one was dead, so I don’t have high hopes.

Not sure whether I'll replace or return them... in my current grump about it I don't really want them any more, but also I'll probably come round to "just one of those things".

I'm presently faced with whether I try to cram the big boi airpods in, or purchase two overpriced lightning/usbc adaptors at the airport in the morning, or maybe dust off the Mojo and take that.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2023
  4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I always vote Airpods they're just so easy, I normally stuff the bra in my bag and wear them to save space :).

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not today but Thursday

Nitrofurantion Mercury Pharma

Yay for kidney infections

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Golf bat purchasing escalated somewhat, but managed to grab a few bargains.
    [​IMG]
    To add to the D7 forged irons, got a pair of new Cleveland wedges for the price of 1, got a tenner knocked off the putter, a pair of ping g crossover hybrids for a smidge over £100 which ain't bad going. A pretty nice and really light bag for housing said bats.

And then some nice luck from the golfing gods, ordered a single glove on and a box of gloves turns up.
    [​IMG]
    Along with balls, tees and a fancy doodad that's a ball marker, putt aligner, pitchmark repairer and a neat function of assisting putting tees in the ground at the correct height. I play public municipal courses that tend to have soil compacted like concrete in tee boxes, so a helping hand getting the little buggers on will be very welcome.
    [​IMG]

Spraduke likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Picture nab, just picked some up.

Always need it for cleaning CPUs but I need something for phone screen cleaning, getting some adhesive off the bathroom floor (hoiking out some trim around the shower I don't like) and umpteen other things it can be used for.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C asphinctersayswhat

Starting to put together a build for my brother, so...

Basic-ass 550W Be Quiet! PSU

[​IMG]

1TB Crucial P5 Plus

[​IMG]

He's got a case I'll be recycling, I've already got some parts, and I've put in an offer with an eBay seller for a board/CPU/cooler/RAM combo.

Only thing left will be a GPU. I was tempted to go for a second-hand RX 6600 card... but the brand-new price isn't all that much more expensive than second hand: ~£200 vs ~£160-£170 respectively. Makes more sense to pay a bit extra and have the peace of mind of a warranty - unless of course someone here has a bargain 1080P GPU they want to sell me :grin:. The main use case for a dedicated GPU in the first place is for PS2 and Xbox 360 emulators; they don't need massive GPU power but the more headroom the better, and it'd be a nice bonus if it could actually play relatively modern games. He's a console gamer first and foremost, so 1080P with med-to-high settings at ~60FPS on PC is more than enough. Plus he's making do with a GTX 750Ti right now, so even an Intel A380 would be a massive upgrade :grin:

Be careful using that on phone screens! They're more duable than monitors, but you still run the risk of causing damage to coatings, etc, with isopropyl alcohol. The best thing is a microfibre cloth slightly dampened with plain water.

Big Elf and adidan like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

yup it’s good at everything tbh.

I was debating where to put this next post. I almost whined in the ruining thread for the first time in years but that wouldn’t have gotten me anywhere.

So I bought a freesat hd box for recording tv. I upgraded it with a 1tb ssd and it all worked great. Or so I thought.

Got it home and spent three hours wiring and fired it up “hard drive not initialised” ran an error check, got in, recordings gone. So it works fine until you turn it off then it doesn’t.

Found an upgraded bios file and put it on. In the end the upshot was I wasted 7 hours today messing with it. Tried 4 different hard drives (3 different ssds and a 1tb 3.5) and all the sodding same. Of course I forgot to bring the original drive home to clone but by 3pm I was super annoyed.

I then found out my android TV has a satellite tuner and apparently can record to a usb ssd. Plugged in the sammy 1tb, formatted it, then the problems started.

It found 1000 channels. Most of which are either encrypted or 8 duplicates of the same channels. I gave up removing channels at 400 and tried to record….”function not supported” by this time I was effing furious and had wasted 8 hours.

So I may have spunked £280 on a Humax Aura 4k with upscaler.

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

Thanks for the heads-up, was going to double check before doing it as I wasn't 100%

Was wondering if you could dilute it down, I tend to use a damp cloth but it's more to make something for my OH who insists on spraying her screen with kitchen cleaner and wiping it off with kitchen roll no matter how often I scream "nooooooo!" :jawdrop: :happy:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Phones are usually ok, as they're sapphire glass or something like it (apart from folding ones, never use anything on those). Monitors however...

adidan likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah just don’t get it in the opening for the ear piece because they are usually glued in.

Byron C and adidan like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Years ago a friend of mine's misses, cleaned their CRT monitor's screen with furniture polish, left the screen looking blotchier than a dalmation! I offered to bring isopropanol next time I visited but, he didn't want to upset her...

adidan likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C asphinctersayswhat

Ironically, I need to give my old CRT monitor a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol to remove what remains of the anti-glare coating. It's failed over the years and you can see streaky marks and blotchy patches. I could disassemble it and try to peel or clean the tube directly, but I really don't like mucking about with those things; far easier to try and wear away the coating from the outside with IPA & microfibre cloths.

15. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I quickly (and accidentally) removed the oleophobic coating from one of my Note 4s years ago using diluted IPA and have been very careful with what I use on my phones ever since. Best to date has been ScreenDr Professional from Currys but a damp microfibre cloth as suggested above is also pretty good.

Byron C and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

Good to know.

I was in two minds especially as I know how good it is at removing grime.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Had a moment of weakness last night, and popped an order in for one o' these:

upload_2023-10-25_10-2-17.png

The original Variable Balans, designed by Peter Opsvik in 1979. I used to have a (much, much cheaper) kneeling chair and really liked it until it broke, but this is a level up.

I'll tell you who's fault it is, tho': Hank Roberts, writing for the Whole Earth Review, January 1985, who espoused their many benefits on Page 64... back when you could buy 'em for $165. They are not $165 any more.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

A new mod, Smok Fortis in gentlemanly brown pleather, what for when I'm out and about, along with a chonking 21700 battery

[​IMG]

adidan and Byron C like this.
  19. adidan

Oooh, I could do with a new one. One that takes replaceable batteries, I hate sending old dead mods to the recycling centre/tip.

Are there any go to battery makers out there or is it pretty much any from the store? Speaking of which where did you pick it up from?

Here endeth all questions :D

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

New kitchen has been paid for.

Now just to sort the flooring, tiling, lighting, paint and finalise the fitting along with plenty of other things I'm sure we've forgotten :D

IanW and Arboreal like this.