1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, I've been using these for a while now. Thoughts:

The slidey pads make a right mess of the desk, though it wipes off easy enough with a bit of kitchen roll.

They're a little low to use with the keyboard (that cheapo AJAZZ one I bought - I'm still using it!), which is fair enough 'cos they're supposed to be for using with a mouse. It's do-able, but I don't tend to rest my wrists on the desk when I'm typing anyway so I might not bother. (Which does mean I don't need the left-hand one any more, but whatever - 't was an experiment.)

The right-hand one is perfect for use with my trackball. Used to be I'd get to the end of the day and notice a pain in the sticky-out wrist bone, but that's completely solved. Don't really need it to be able to slide around for that, mind, but it does mean I can adjust my grip a bit without lifting and lowering my hand like with a traditional wrist rest.

IanW and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@Gareth Halfacree Who knew a wonderbra would make a mess of your computer desk.

Everyday is a school day :happy:

b1g-d0g, BeauchN, perplekks45 and 4 others like this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

A whole crap tun of stuff because a quick paint touch up escalated quickly to turn this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - which is what happened when the majority of the paint commited seppuku on the shame of it's brother's that had already fallen off into my hair while showering - into this
    [​IMG]
    That's a new floor, on top of the old one, which was the wall tiles. Was an absolute death trap.

Also acquired a new knife block
    [​IMG]

And new knife is on the way, had my eye on another global, fancied a nakiri and had my eye on a couple, then found this absolute bargain special edition with £70 off, allegedly only 500 made for public sale.
    Global G Special Edition Kiritsuke (G-106)
    [​IMG]
    It's halfway between a gyuto and nakiri, and with a blade length of 24cm, should be good for carving cooked stuff too. Also grabbed a steel for maintenance in between sharpenings, and not just because it has a very sword-like hilt :worried:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Apr 2024
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Put me in mind of the Fairbairn-Sykes, apart from the loop on the end.

Byron C and The_Crapman like this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

3 sets of these binding posts

[​IMG]

some polyester wool for infil, much cheaper and same thing as the "snake oil" premium angel hair most audio parts places sell

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I do love a Nakiri style knife, especially for dealing with large amounts of veg. I’ve got a Nakiri, a ‘deep’ Nakiri, and Chinese veg cleaver and love them to bits.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Doing a LAN game soon and I'm going on the bike, so there's no way in hell I'm carrying a monitor with me. So.... portable monitor:

[​IMG]

One of those "smash your face against a keyboard and see what comes out" brands on Amazon.

Seems decently bright; I can't see any immediately obvious image quality issues; can't notice any obvious blurring or ghosting; colours are probably oversaturated, and although HDR is "supported" you're probably in for a piss-poor "HDR" experience, so just... don't. Only 1080P 144Hz but I think I can live with 1080P for one weekend... :grin:. Bonus points for the fact that it can be powered by a Type-A to Type-C cable; the manual says it needs at least 5V 2.4A but it's coping just fine on a motherboard USB port. This means one of two things: my motherboard's Type-A ports do not limit current to 1.5A like the spec says they should, or the screen manufacturer is lying about power requirements - both options are equally likely. Camelcamelcamel says that the price bounces between £240 and £120, so it turns out that "limited time deal" isn't quite so "limited"!

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I have 2 big clevers now, I didn't often use the one I had unless there was something that required quite a choppy action, like nuts or portioning a chicken, but somehow my little bro thought I wanted one and got me one from his friend who makes them, also did the tiddler at the end. I've used it quite a lot and really enjoyed doing so, especially as it was then the sharpest of the bunch :hehe: plan to spend a lot of time this weekend watching the golf and using my new diamond stroke-type sharpener to give them all a fresh edge. Had bought a pull through one on someone's recommendation and it's obliterated them, the little global especially.

Very almost got this pro cook nakiri
    [​IMG]
    I really liked that it had an outwardly pointing tip for precision bits and scalloped sides to aid with the chopping. Might still get one, but save that for a later date

Last edited: 10 Apr 2024
  10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yes, very.

[​IMG]

Easy enough to go up, especially if you have a relative (if not wanton) disregard for ladder safety. Definitely a two ladder job as well, would have taken all day and then some with just one.

Well put together, everything fits, no jimmying anything into place and feels very sturdy even before anchoring.

Weekly_Estimate, Goatee and IanW like this.
  11. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Some gaff that.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My very old Dyson is making all the right noises but is unable to suck any better than the worst of dad jokes. So I went for a bit of a newer one, a v11 with all the bells and whistles. I think my old one is a v6? It's lasted about 14 years or so! It's a shame the fittings don't look to be compatible as I like using the bendy hose when vacuuming the car, ah well.

13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

My wife got me a lovely 3 set of knives from pro cook for Christmas. Really nice knives and you can't beat a good Damascus pattern.

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I went and got a block and a near full set (8 knives) in this range. I absolutely love them. The edge is rock hard and holds well regardless of what I am using them for. Only sharpened them 3 or four times with a very light wet 600/2000 and on to leathers in the 12+ months of ownership. For a mainstream readily available set you can’t go wrong.

adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

All I ever use my printer for is printing shipping labels, so...

[​IMG]

Got a label printer instead.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I still like playing Star Citizen, so:-
    • Ticket for this year's event in Manchester
    • Long weekend in a 4* hotel nearby.

Pete J, b1g-d0g and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Very nice!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2024
    IanW likes this.
  18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Bought a Pure Gym membership for £20.99 with no joining fee, which I'll use for the month and then I'll be moving to a local 24/7 gym that's just opened.

Turns out nobody likes to lift weights at 8am on a Sunday morning:
    [​IMG]

goldstar0011 likes this.
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Now that I'm drinking much less, I've changed my gym times from lunchtime to 0530/0600ish for the same reason. Equipment all free, in and out and back home and logged on by 0730 if not before, ready to attack the day!

Feel much better and more positive for it as well, starts the day off with a massive tick as well as making me feel like I haven't just spent the whole day in the same office room should meetings etc. start to encroach on available lunch time.

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Wish my puregym was that empty, tried early morning but it's still busyish and I don't much care for the shower facilities.
    The local JD is now 24/7 but that gets full of "lads" ego lifting last I checked and most machines are full when I used to go

Gym hunting continues

LennyRhys likes this.