1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal help re Piercings

Discussion in 'General' started by Pha3dr0n, 7 Sep 2004.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Completely acceptable statement, and I appreciate that. Although to be fair, this comment should be directed at grump as well as a standpoint for where our arguments come from.

2. fatty

fatty Minimodder

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

yes, hence the everyone else -

now reads everyone.

sorry for the confusion

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Spot on. Humans work by stereotyping, whatever Political Correctness says. It's a survival thing. If I'm waiting to use a cash machine and somebody with excessive piercing is hanging around, I worry, I leave it till later, it's a gut reaction. I'll have the same gut worries over a bunch of (what look like to my stereotypical image-recognition system) chavs or pikeys, so it's nothing personal, Penski & Co. ;)

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

ok... i haven't read the whole thread, but i'll give you my POV...

When you are getting a job, it's the employer that decides who he or she wants to employ.

It's all up to them, and no law can "help them choose"... after all, they can give the job to someone else just because you have to short fingernails or something... It doesn't matter what reason they use.. they pick the people they want,a nd forgets about the rest... never, ever give them a thought... they just become names in the "round archive" (paperbin)...

so if you want the job, do as you'r employer tells you, and be happy to even get a job... You can live without piercings for a few hours a day...

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Difference is... nearly all chavs will try to rob you... most pierced folk, won't..

7. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

I can see where both sides of the arguements are coming from, it is very well known that old people do stereotype really badly, hell I had it today from my grandad, I got my ear pierced 2 weeks ago, and when he saw it today, he decided to twist it into a local youth drugs chat, which was like wtf, its true that old people stereotype, most might not, and might not be bothered, but this is grumps choice, if he looses one customer because there scared of people with a bad appearance then so be it, he is the boss, and ultimatly its his descision, and even loosing one customer might be a bad thing for a small buisness.

But on the other side of the arguement I see the discriminatory part, I often got evil looks from old people in the street because I had spiked (sometimes bright colour) hair, and carried a skateboard and a large dog chain (ahh the days of been 12 :p) And they automatically decided I was up to no good, also in some shops I would get the security guards look at me, but I always endevour to be polite to people in the street, and try to change there stereotypical beliefs, as around here its always in the newspaper how skaters push over old people or run into them, or mug them, so it just gives us all a bad name...

- M@

8. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I thought I made it quite clear and I'm sorry if I didn't. I don't care what an employee does in their spare time. I don't even have the prejudices my customers have. I do, however, base my rules on what is acceptable or comfortable to the majority of my customers. I don't necessarily even agree with a lot of their knee-jerk reactions, but it's business.

What makes you think I disagree with this? I pick an employee based on ability to do the job. That means a certain amount of technical skill and a certain amount of people skills. And they must be willing to abide by the rules. They don't have to agree and they don't have to be Mr. or Ms. Professional off the job, just on.

There are a variety of issues that combine to help me determine what the rules and conduct of behavior should be. My priority is a satisfied customer. If it takes extraordinary measures to earn a living here, that's what I do and expect of my employees. Wouldn't it be nice if my customers embraced the 21st century? It's not my job or mission in life to educate them about social mores, only to gain their trust in spending many thousands of dollars with me.

Some of you may be confusing my company policies with my personal beliefs. If I believed as some of you think I do, I wouldn't be spending much time on any of these modding forums.

Grump

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Just to stir up the embers a touch, I found an article about this over at CNN:

Schools, offices button down dress codes

Thursday, September 9, 2004 Posted: 12:32 PM EDT (1632 GMT)

CHICAGO (AP) -- It's the latest trend in fall fashion: Workers and students who dress down or show too much skin are being told to button up.

Tired of staff members who they see as pushing the limits of professionalism and good taste, a growing number of employers are issuing lengthy dress codes, some with photos to illustrate the do's and don'ts. More schools also are getting stricter about student attire.

M.J. Dean, who's starting his senior year Thursday at the private Cape Cod Academy in Osterville, Massachusetts, discovered new rules at his school when he received the updated student handbook this summer. Among the new guidelines: no pants with side pockets, including popular cargo pants, or T-shirts with writing on them -- and "no tight or excessively loose clothing."

"This very strict new dress code is, quite honestly, ridiculous," says the 17-year-old student body vice president. "You can't really represent yourself the way you'd like."

Likewise, some employees think they should be trusted to use good judgment about their clothes. Joe D'Adamo, associate creative director at Chicago ad agency LKH&S, usually wears jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers to work, and dresses up when he sees clients.

He says a specific dress code would be "irritating" -- but that hasn't stopped bosses at some companies.

Effective this week, Target Corp. has a new, 20-page dress code for employees at its Minneapolis headquarters. Men must now wear a sport coat or tie if they leave their usual work area. Women are required to wear a jacket over any sleeveless blouse; sweater sets are among the other options.

The staff at G.S. Schwartz & Co., a New York investor and public relations firm, also received a recent e-mail memo asking them to bump up their apparel choices "at least one more notch."

"For example," the memo read, "we would prefer that properly fitting sweaters be worn with a collared shirt underneath. Certainly, khakis should be neat and clean ...

"Shaving regularly also is a good idea," the memo suggested, "for either sex."

Rachel Honig Peters, a senior vice president at the company, says the e-mail was sent after company officials noticed their clients dressing up more.

Elsewhere, business owners in the service industry say customer complaints are driving them to put tougher dress codes in place

That was the case for Erika Mangrum, owner of the Iatria Spa and Health Center in Raleigh, North Carolina. She recalls sending one employee home to change after she came to work wearing a cropped Playboy T-shirt that showed her stomach and a navel ring.

"This is really tough stuff," says Mangrum, who understands how frustrating dress codes can be for employees. Mangrum herself once got in trouble, more than a decade ago, for not wearing panty hose when she worked at a major telecommunications firm.

Now, she's had to institute a dress code at her own company _ "no shorts, no denim, no flip-flops." And she's wondering if she should add rules about piercings.

"How far can and should a company go? We're wrestling with that," Mangrum says. "And frankly, we don't have an answer."

Read the rest of the article here

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:rolleyes:

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

And that isn't stereotyping old people? ;)

12. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I've seen plenty of "Chavs" with piercings. I also know plenty people with piercings who are complete and utter ******s. I also know some people who you would class as "chav" by appearance but they are actually lovely people.

Just because someone has a piece of metal in their face doesn't make them a nice person. Just because someone wears a tracksuit and a cap doesn't mean they want to rob you.

Sam

13. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

ok, I'm un-bod modded in any way at all (apart from natural causes).

I work for a reasonably big building contractor in the south of the UK.
    Most of the trades are by their appearance, size, tattoo’s and or other bod mods very intimidating by appearance. To be fair I know all of them and I would be very unsure about "goin' out for a few beers" with some of them.

However, when they are working, they are the most polite, most courteous and generally the nicest people you would ever want to have representing your company or have working in your house.

A Little story from a few weeks ago, Malcolm (the nastiest person you have ever met) was working in the house of a woman (in her 80’s). She offered this not very nice (and quite scary looking man) a cup of tea before he started. The little old lady (could have been your grandmother) comes back and tells the nasty looking man that she is out of milk.

The very nasty man then proceeds to go out and get the milk, oh, and he got her weeks shopping for her as well and bought the cream cakes.

We have at any time, 500 tradesmen working in peoples houses. They are not all nice. But our customers think they are.

"Chav's, nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"