1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linus' content; unappreciated here

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 9 Mar 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Poor Austin Evans, no ones even mentioned him! :p

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Linus does write his ownn stuff, but he has something like 8 writers that do the bulk of it!

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My hips have started lying and I'm developing breast like mountains. :eyebrow:

I get what you're saying. It took me a while to dial in to him, but the vast detail and preciseness of the reviews kept me in there. I do skip a lot of the charts though, it only takes a couple to get the message then skip to the conclusion.

If you have a fascination with guns and want to go full detail nerd, gun jesus from the 'Forgotten Weapons" channel is a joy to watch.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Linus Tech Tips is a small dose channel. I've never felt inclined to watch a follow up video. I don't watch them for tech info, but to the over the top, silly, and or stupid hardware which usually equals humor.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

Coming back to the topic, and apart from all hardware chanels anchors preferences, I wonder if it is really relevant to spend 4500 euros for this famous Ryzen 3990X, 64 cores/128 threads...how is it possible to benefit from so many cores and threads? AFAIK, all softwares and apps, likewise games, are not able to use more than 8 cores, and even multi-thread softwares like Handbrake are not using more than 16 cores, without mentoning that Windows itself isn't able to take advantage of more than 64 threads for a single implementation...I may be wrong but...it looks like the core's race is just a marketing weapon.

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's not true: a lot of what I do is *extremely* happy with as many cores as you can throw at it. Compiling software? Goes a lot faster the more cores you have. Batch processing files? GNU Parallel will spawn as many jobs as you like. HandBrake certainly scales above 16 threads - hell, the official documentation benchmarks it on a 22-core 44-thread Xeon. "While the x264 codec doesn’t scale linearly with such high thread counts," the docs note, "it’s still much faster here." Blender, in particular, likes ALL THE CORES, and wouldn't complain at running 128 threads for a given job.
    Eh? Windows supports up to 256 logical cores in the consumer editions and "unlimited" in the server variants.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Depends on what you do with it.

For some grandma who has never done anything more demanding than posting cat pictures on facebook even a decade old mobile SoC is overkill.
    But if you are trying to use something like Indigo Renderer then 64 cores is merely a nice start.
    And of course there is about a billion different usage patterns in between.

But the most important thing to keep in mind:
    The PC in that particular video isn't meant to be practical, affordable, sensible or anything like that...

9. kim

kim hardware addict

Fine :happy:, seems like I gotta seriously deepen my knowledge, like I said, I might be wrong, thank you for your reply and additional informations, I will read more and reconsider my opinions...
    yes, server versions are able to , I wasn't including server versions I reckon :worried:
    that's right, I understand and agree, after all of this, I realise I should have keep my coments for myself, but now I changed my mind with what you guys learned me, that's the most important thing :grin:

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nah, it is perfectly fine to post stuff like that, so what if it leads to some disagreement?

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, just look at how much discussion has come from it!

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I should make it plainly clear that I post, in general, from a position of believing i'm funnier than I am, having opinions that are so lightly held that they border on hypocrisy and apply an approach similar to that of walking upstairs and forgetting what I went there for.

That is how most of my posts end. Like this one. The point of which I think i've just dropped down the back of the chair.

Vault-Tec, The_Crapman and Fingers66 like this.
  13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I disagree Jeff, your post is of value and worth your time and effort. For example, as a result of your post Kim,and possibly others, have learned of the use case where high core counts are beneficial.

One shouldn't take people's opions of a Y.T. as a measure a agiasnt you.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If everybody agreed the world would be a very boring place :)
    If you're not insulting others then never think your time and effort is wasted.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No it wouldn't...

:p

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Lol I sent my buddy a video the other day from GN about why his Enermax cooler died. My mate's one like.

Any way about 30 seconds in he said "ugh I'm losing the will to live" which made me lol.

Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is how I feel about GN! OC3D TV is by far the worst though, just so long and rambling about nothing, saying the same thing multiple times, nothing interesting nor any character!

18. Vault-Tec

Hey goys.

Yeah, he rubs me up the wrong way.

Everyone knows Dawid does tech is the best pc channel on there.

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's perfectly fine to post whatever you want mate. Whilst I may not like that guy, many will, or just like the content. It's sparked some good conversation and whilst the thread has gone off rails so much it's running tyres on the road, conversation is always good.

Just ignore me, I'm just a grumpy cripple fed up of these 4 walls. lol

adidan likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Oh go on then I will discuss the subject.

Recently I have totally stopped watching TV and pretty much spend all day watching Youtube. I do sub to Linus and a couple of others, but only because they upload daily and hey, it is at least keeping me up to date with current tech. Something I had not really bothered with in about two years.

I mostly watch car shows. Oh and Dawid Does Tech who is so funny. Last week he "infected a PC with Vista". Really does cheer me up and make me laugh.

I wouldn't say it's totally dependable yet as sometimes for several days nothing goes up, but it's getting there.

MLyons, Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.