1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Let us know how FTL behaves, if that runs then im sure a lot of steam based content will as well.

Is the max SD card size 64Gb on these? thinking of lobbing a chunk of my steam library on there if FTL behaves

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have FTL as a stand-alone as well as in my steam library.

Unfortunately, my Linx 7 hasn't arrived today. Looks like tomorrow (hopefully).

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Okay, so I installed Steam to see what would happen. Updated the Intel HD Graphics drivers to the latest version and ran Gone Home - which is pretty graphically intensive. Using the 'Fastest' graphics preset... it's actually playable, albeit only just. Okay, if it were a twitch-shooter itd be useless - but although the framerate is in the low double-digits, it's fine for wandering around and exploring. I'm genuinely impressed.

Interesting other quirk: I installed DOSBox, but it kept crashing on start-up with a message I was too slow to see. Turns out that DOSBox won't load unless there's a mouse present. Plugged a wireless mouse into the USB-OTG port, and sure enough DOSBox works fine. How's that for odd?

EDIT: Installed FTL, and it runs absolutely perfectly - except it can't cope with the touch-screen. Connect a mouse and it's entirely playable.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2014
  4. legoman

Very odd, It must be that its looking for a HID input device but is not picking up the touch screen as one (probably not actually coded) I'd expect at some point there will be a patch for that though how useful it will be would remain to be seen.

Gaming wise that looks pretty promising, OK we know itll never run far cry (someone please try) but it should be able to play quite a chunk of the steam library well enough. Think ill be ordering one after work. It should be here before christmas too!

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I dunno, if the CPU with 2GB RAM can apparently run Crysis, then original Far Cry shouldn't be a problem.

Any new game though, I'd imagine you might have the problem of not enough space for it, let alone being able to run it, :D

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hmmm shame that games I thought theoretically would've worked fine with a touch screen don't :(
    Removes some of the temptation....

Don't particularly want to have to use a mouse, to me the whole point of a tablet is portability, and the ability to use anywhere and a requiring a mouse limits that somewhat (bet it will also impact battery life...)

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently this can help for some games by adding on-screen virtual controllers. Haven't tried it myself.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

these low storage capacity devices use wimboot, so you would be able to put 8.1 pro on them, if you are able to create the wim files, there is a chat about doing that here

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Anyone noticed the charging time for the tablet being quite long.

Went on charge thing morning at about 10am and by 3:30pm it was at 97%.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Gareth you should try Civ 5 windows 8 touch enabled version, assuming you get to play any before the game crashes :D

11. David

My Linx 7 is still a no show. :wallbash:

12. legoman

My Linx 10 arrived, 64Gb SD card plugged in an steam installed. Ran KSP its slow but perfectly playable if you turn down the pretty bits. Keyboard is a bit naff but works. Lobbed some music and a couple of films in to see how it behaved. movies run smoothly music quality is fine for what this is. Only minor gripe is the mini USB to USB cable. The housing could have taken a full sized USB port

Not sure what other games ill lob at it Sup Comm would kill the poor thing.

Cerbrus, charging for mine seems OK WiFi is on an display brightness set to about 25%

13. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, I've noticed that. Ran into a bigger problem today, though: it went from 95% to 56% while on standby. Think that there was a problem, though: the Wi-Fi had disconnected and refused to reconnect, and it got stuck trying to reboot - had to kill it. Hopefully just a one-off, that.
    I would, but I'm brassic - well and truly spent up for the year now!

EDIT: That's annoying: I had my KryoFlux working fine on the Linx 7 via the USB-OTG port, and now it's failing. Refuses to communicate with the client software: I issue a command, and it disappears from Device Manager and reappears as a broken device. Well, that's sad.

EDIT 2: Nup, no joy. Something has broken it - perhaps when I installed EMET. Reckon I might give the 'wipe and start from scratch' option a try at some point, see if I can bring it back to life - running the KryoFlux was one of the main reasons I bought the tablet!

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Mine arrived today.

Can we all just take a minute, step back and revel in the fact you can get a quad core, ips, 32GB tablet for less than sixty quid delivered.

That is just incredible.

15. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Looks like they didn't last long, :D.

That would have been a cracking bargain, especially with £30 cashback. £20 for the tablet, how much are these things costing Linx to make?????

Ours now won't load the windows store, just gets stuck on the green store loading page with the little circle thing continuously going round. Tried a few solutions on the net but none of them have worked.

Also yesterday I may have put Firefox into Fullscreen and then realised that I had no way of getting it out of fullscreen, :D. Had to get my spare keyboard out and use the OTG cable to get an F11 key, :D:blush:

Might start monitoring the charging times, for the cost of the thing I doubt the mains charger is particularly high quality, :D

17. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! For future reference: hit the top button (which acts as a Super key) to get to the Start Screen, load Task Manager, kill Firefox. Bosh.

18. David

I got mine today - not done much with it yet, other than a quick browse around, but it's very snappy and responsive. Granted, it's a fresh install so it hasn't been burdened with the usual crap the gradually drags windows to it's knees, but I'm still very impressed.

The £50 10" tablets didn't last long, unsurprisingly. They are the 2GB models with double the memory bandwidth too.

You can close an application by dragging your finger down from top centre of the screen. :thumb:

19. Gareth Halfacree

The £50 ones were the 8" models - identical specs to the 7", but with a physically bigger screen. The 10" models were £80, but with £50 trade-in for a £30 expenditure if you've got a knackered old tablet you don't value.

This I did not know! Does that work for Desktop apps as well as Metro^WModern apps?

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Forgot about Task Manager. I'm stuck thinking of it as an android tablet rather than a small but fully formed windows machine, :D