1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Might have to use disk cleanup rather than just trying to delete the folder.

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I like my Linx 8, I use it for web surfing, reading ebooks/comics and occasionally Plex. With that in mind, if you do get one, I've gone back to W8.1.

My Win10 update wasn't particularly stable, apps crashed, start screen failing to appear, battery status wouldn't appear unless it was charging or in saver mode, so it needed a reinstall anyway.

However, personal preferences aside - which would be non-fullscreen apps, taskbar is fiddly with autohide, and placement of settings and other things which are far more fiddly on a tablet that W8 was, and other things - Edge lacks gestures.

W8 Modern I.E. was fullscreen, worked well most of the time and had gestures to allow swipe for back/forward. Edge doesn't do this, seems fairly trivial I know, but I was also a big fan of the whole screen being the page, hell if chrome ran fullscreen I would probably have gone back to Win10. At the moment I don't really have a compelling reason to do so.

As a tablet, it's good for the price imo. I've rarely found the screen lacking, again that's a personal thing.

Ljs likes this.
  3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I have upgraded mine to 10, and seems to be working ok

4. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Well my upgrade to 10 borked, and I now have a relatively new screened brick. Turns on, waits 2 seconds, and turns off again.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Mine did that. Then it worked :confused:

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, I had a go at dual booting android and windows 8.1 on my spare Linx.

It borked the boot system and I couldn't run either OS - so I eventually got it to reset to win 8.1, but not without a small annoyance.

Every time I switch on the tablet I get a dual boot menu:

Windows 8.1
    Unetbootin

Unetbootin doesn't work, but 8.1 is fine.

How do I remove the boot menu and get rid of unetbootin? It used to be a case of editing BootIO or IO.sys in the root directory, but they aren't there any more. Can't see anything in MSConfig.

Any ideas?

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

editBCD might help

David likes this.
  8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Anyone find their tablet doesn't want to respond to touchscreen input for ages on a cold boot? Rotation works fine, just unresponsive to touch on the lockscreen. Sometimes you can get the password box to appear, but tapping the field to input the password results in no response either! Massively frustrating...
    Once the tablet is unlocked, there are pretty much no issues whatsoever - touch response is fine.

9. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

If I use my linx 8 from flat or near to flat (<30%) after turning on or charging my screen has the same thing where it takes 5 seconds or so to open the pin input, after that absolutely fine as is yours. Mine has been doing it for the best part of the year and you almost get used to it :wallbash:

10. David

BCDedit worked, thank you.

belated +rep

For those that might need to know how, open an admin-enabled command prompt window (by right-clicking on the windows start menu and selecting from list)

BCDedit /delete {boot menu item ID}

You can find the item ID by typing:

BCDedit /enum

It's a long 20+ character hexadecimal string

Last edited: 17 Oct 2015
  11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Fixed this in the end. Was caused by a mapped network drive being unavailable. For whatever reason, this seemed to lag the system whenever connection attempts were made. Fixed by removing the mapping.

12. SKYNET

SKYNET What's a Dremel?

Had some issues with my old Linx 10.1 where it would just beep upon touching the screen or windows button however, it also kept triggering the narrator on the odd occasion when pressing the volume keys!

Thankfully my new unit doesn't appear to suffer from these issues.

13. Risky

Risky Modder

Folks,

I was tasked to find some kind of music player for my daughter(8) and instead I'm thinking about getting one of these as it can just play music off our collection on the server and as a windows tablet will be easy for me to secure heavily. Furthermore it will be mercifully incompatible with most of the apps that are pushed with every toy and game there days!

Anyone see any obvious problems?

And does the (cheapo) Linx 7 cope ok with the Win 10 upgrade?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you're not a Linx owner yet but are for some reason in this 'ere thread, or you want a second, the Linx 7 is back in stock at Game for just £39.99. Bargain.

15. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's showing as £80.77 now.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's a third-party seller - Game's sold out now. Not surprised at that price!

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Just a thought but the shops might still have some in stock.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sainsburys had the 32GB 8" down to £40 for new customers the other day, £50 otherwise. They may also have a few lurking about in stores.

19. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Hoping for a little advice. I'm going to buy a tablet for my partners birthday, and I like the look of the LINX 1010B 10.1" tablet. Anyone got one, or would recommend?

It's probably between it, and an Android Tablet such as the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 10", or the Asus ZenPad Z300C 10".

I'm not overly struck by Android (never owned an Android phone), and find it a bit cumbersome to use. My partner seems to think the same. We both have Windows based mobiles (Lumia 950 & 920). If I had more money to spend, I'd get a Surface 3, or in an ideal world a Pro 4; but I can't stretch that far.

20. David

I have the Linx 10, the Linx 1010's predecessor. AFAIK, the only real difference is the 1010 has full sized USB ports, and it comes with a keyboard dock (an extra on the Linx 10).

I got the Linx 10 for £30 (after the £50 trade-in cashback) a little over a year ago, and I still can't fault it. I think the full price was £160 initially, and it would've been worth it.

dullonien likes this.