1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

What I remember was that the price for the original Linx10 model also came with the keyboard bundled together and what people got from the Staple store limited time sale deal didn't, was that not true?..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I bought a 1010 last month with the keyboard dock, really can't fault it! The full size USB ports are really handy, it is much heavier than I thought it would be but still perfectly portable. I'm going to be getting another to give to my daughter for homework etc.

Mine even came with a MS office key, which were apparently being phased out, but not sure if that's true or not.

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

John Lewis have a similar product from Lenovo on their site. Lenovo Miix 300. It might be missing the full sized USB ports though....

I'll take a wonder there after work and see if it feels a little better (lighter) than the Linx. It has better battery life on the specsheet, which is tempting; as is the Lenovo name which fills me with a little more confidence. I know Lenovo aren't what they were, but still....

It doesn't help that the display unit of the Linx in Currys has a faulty screen so impossible to get a proper feeling for it.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I got the 1010 the other week as a bit of a toy and I'm really impressed with it.
    Runs everything I need it to, VPN's in to my datacentre and gives me access to all my infrastructure.

The touchpad on the keyboard is a bit plasticy but apart from that it's amazing

5. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Had a look at the lenovo, and tbh I thought it was slightly nicer. Felt a little more polished, and the detachable keyboard looked better, especially the locking mechanism.

It was missing the full sized USB ports as expected, but I think the other positives outweigh that. Can't be hard to pick up an adaptor.

Unfortunately they were completely out of stock (warehouse too), so couldn't guarantee i'd get it by Thursday (my partners bday). Amazon Prime it is then.

6. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Just updated my 7 to win10, but there seems to be an issue. At the 'Welcome to windows 10' screen, the touchscreen doesn't respond when I hit next (or anything for that matter!) Anyone had similar issues and know of a fix?

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Press and hold power button for 10 seconds to reset it. It should work.

8. sonicgroove

Tried that several times now, but it remains the same :(

9. David

Hook up a keyboard to the OTG port and backup your stuff. Factory reset and F*** windows 10...

No, no, that's what I did. What I meant was, backup, factory reset to 8.1 and try a fresh update to win 10.

10. sonicgroove

I think that's the only way. Currently I have a pretty blue brick.

11. sonicgroove

I found my otg cable, plugged in a keyboard, managed to get through the initial setup with it, then rebooted. It now works almost flawlessly on 10. The only thing I can find that doesn't want to work is the camera. I can live with that, when you consider I own over 20 proper cameras :)

12. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Bit of a lazy request as I struggle for much free time these days..

I've been thinking about getting a LINX 8 (used).

How to they hold up after a few months use. Does the battery still do ok?
    What's a decent price to pick up a new or used LINX 8?

What I need from it are: more than 3 hours battery life.
    I can connect something over USB (I have a USB OTG cable).
    Needs WiFi
    Needs windows 7 or 8.1

Thoughts?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2016
  13. David

We have all three - 7, 8 and 10.

All a little over a year old and none are any worse for wear.

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Got to agree with the above, my linx10 is still running strong and has outlasted some of the cheap android tablets for holding battery life.

Gets used for all sorts of different tasks, media centre remote, browser, screen casts etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Install this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...age-for-Baytrail-T-SOC-on-Intel-Compute-Stick

Fixed (or it did on the Linx 7 on my desk at the moment!)

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Recently bought a linx 7 from dabs for a smidge under £40 and it arrived today. I wasn't expecting much but I've been completely taken by surprise just how good this little unit is. The operating system is super responsive and the screen is of an excellent quality. At a sharp angle the picture is still very good unlike a non IPS screen! The bundled Office 365 license is the cherry on top. A very well spent £40 :D

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Has anyone had any joy with a USB OTG hub with one of these that will charge the device whilst allowing peripherals / USB sticks / HDDs to be plugged in and used / accessed at the same time? I'm reading a lot of conflicting reports online as to if it'll work or not and if so which ones actually work.

Edit: I have a Linx 7 if that makes any difference

18. David

The 10 has a separate charging port, but I'll try with a 7 tonight (if I can find my hub).

19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Tried it unsuccessfully on my Linx8 with a few different ones including the Inateck HB3001G UK

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I have a (Purchased cheap from Sainsburys) Linx 7 that TBH has never been been used but I picked up an eBay OTG hub for it when I got it so will run some tests for you.

* pause typing for ten minutes *

Okay, yes it works. EDIT: Sometimes and unreliably. See below

Just plugged it in and it's charging the 7 quite happily from a USB port on my macbook with a USB mouse plugged in as well. I also tried plugging in my desktop USB 3.0 hub, and while everything was recognised I couldn't test drive read/write behaviour due to the format of the drives not being so happy with Windows. But the external keyboard and drives were all recognised instantly.

This is the hub

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271641277647?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's very clearly a cheap piece of tat, but my research before purchase said it should work and experience just now says it does indeed work.

Now if only someone could suggest me a use for 7" windows tablet that I can't do on the bucket load of iPhones and iPads I have here then I might use the Linx.

Edit:
    Okay, Linx said it was charging but the battery just died. Running more tests now to see if I can work out when / why it stopped / stops charging..

Edit 2:
    Crap, nope doesn't work. Will either do OTG or unreliably charge but not both reliably. The red 'power in' LED on the Linx comes on when in OTG mode and with the tablet in standby, but when you power up the Linx the light goes out and the device won't charge. Seems to vary depending on the USB power adaptor being used but the take home advice is this eBay piece of tat is tat from eBay. Even in 'charge' mode the charging stops after a few minutes.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2016