1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looks like I need a new mouse mat, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 17 Sep 2012.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

In terms of build construction I do have to say that my G5 (now the G500) has been bullet proof. It's as good as the day I bought it, a seriously lovely piece of kit hence the G500 being my recommendation, still. They are good value now, you should be able to get it for £30 delivered I'd have thought.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

G500 here - what is this bobbins about build quality? Its easily the equal of any of the Razer mice I've used, and much better than those R.A.T efforts; which felt like a toy to me.

Take a wander down to PC World or somewhere similar, that has a bunch of mice on display and get a feel of them. They have a limited range, but last time I looked they had the G500, GX9, RATs and a couple of Razers.

3. Mother-Goose

I think the build quality was levelled at the G400 - it's not a poorly made mouse but it is definitely lighter weight so it doesn't feel as solid as the G500 (I can't comment on the other mice but I suspect that what I have just said also applies to them otherwise they wouldn't be getting recommended)

Teelzebub likes this.
  4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well, went for the EC1, and I love the look and feel of the mouse.

However there are some skipping/negative acceleration issues sadly, possibly due to my mousepad, as a result I may end up changing.

Will see if I can try some of the mice suggested, especially the G400/500 since I don't like the look of them, and not sure if I'd find them comfortable etc.

5. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Got the g500 , it's a nice mouse but I do find the scroll wheel annoying sometimes when try to quickly change weapons in the middle of a fire fight. But that might just be my lack of skills.

Other than that it tracks very well. I'd definately recommend trying before you buy as everyone has different tastes.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

George I forgot to mention, a bog standard option for a quality soft mouse pad would be the QCK series, any of them tbh. That's in case you want familiarity of surface (which is important if you have spent a long time on one type).

The QCK+ would rival the size of your Boogie Bug, although you can't fit a keyboard on it as well :D

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

I had a QCK before I got the boogie bug, changed because I wanted something bigger, can't remember which model I had.

Yeah, I'm tempted to keep the boogiebug and put another mat ontop for the mouse :p

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Seeing as Hamza's here. I'll second the Ikari. That mouse is the epitome of awesomeness and comfort.

9. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

I would add my support to the m60 camp although it appears that may be too late! It did take a little while to get used to from my old Habu which was insanely comfortable but developed an issue of double clicking....

Anyway I have a lack of space so use a desk with a slide out shelf for the keyboard and mouse the m60 has fallen a few times and survived without a mark....although it may have dented the desk :p

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I just got my G500 a few days ago to replace my still working Mx518. I'm not sure I like it but then again the Mx518 has been in my hands for about 6 years now :jawdrop:

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Guess I am a bit late as well, but I also have the Ikari laser. Excellent mouse, very comfortable, but a bit light for my liking and also a tad flimsy. I am looking at the M60 now as well :)

12. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

I have a G500 and really like it (especially the free scroll feature), but this is my 1st serious gaming mouse so I can't really compare it to anything else. I'm tempted to get another mouse or 2 to play around with.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2012
  13. GeorgeStorm

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm going to keep playing around with it, and when I get back to uni try it out on some other mats.
    Then choose whether to keep it or not, I think a couple of friends have G4/500s, so I'll give them a go.

Although I do think the Zowie AM looks fantastic...

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

the AM is quite a bit smaller than the EC1

15. Mother-Goose

As for mouse mats, Steelseries cannot be beaten in my experience.

16. GeorgeStorm

Fair enough, just seen the Kana you put in the marketplace, another mice I like the look and sound of.... :p

Fair enough, I'll see if I can test some out.

17. Mother-Goose

Definitely a good idea as it's all very subjective isn't it :)

18. GeorgeStorm

Well, not all as I've discovered with the ec1 and my current mousemat :p

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

From my hours of research I would say the Boogie Bug plus ADNS 3090 sensor skipping is a very specific thing :p It worked a dream with the QCK, even though that's very similar to the Boogie!

Another thing I found is that many USB ports can't handle 1000Hz polling which may result in the skipping. Did you test the mouse at 500Hz George?

20. GeorgeStorm

If the USB port couldn't cope then surely it would happen at all speeds? Whereas it only happens when moving it quickly (tried rocket jumping in TF2 and it can't cope with that at all)
    Both at 450 and 1150dpi, 500 and 1000hz :(