1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Maple's Questions: Current Question; Upgrade motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 2 Jul 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

the g530 is a beast then so zinfandel here is my reason why i go for g530 over g840

2. maple

maple Minimodder

i remember having an amd sempron 1.8Ghz it would give this horrible smell of as if it was burning

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Whoa nelly! I described it as "a decent 775 board with some overclocking skills" which is exactly what it is - plus it cost you a tenner. I sold a Gigabyte P965 based board on eBay for £35 quid the other day, this was supposed to be a budget build, not a "let's beat a brand new computer for hardly any money" build!!

Leave it at stock, or experiment with a small overclock - that's up to you. But be happy with what you've got or sell it on and spend more money, please don't expect miracles from very old budget hardware :)

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The 840 is better has it can use 1333 memory compared to 1066 and is 400MHz faster.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

No, it isn't a beast. Far from it in today's terms, it's about as far from a beast as you can get. On the beast front it's a newly born kitten timidly pawing at a piece of string, about as fierce as a crippled guinea pig.

You're comparing it with a six year old CPU in a sector that advances extremely rapidly.

6. maple

maple Minimodder

why are you thinking im angry that i cant overclock it, why are you suddenly thinknig im not grateful that you gave it for a tenner, i only said you mentioned something about its overlcoknig which you just quoted

a decent 775 board with some overclocking skills

all i said was that you said something similar to the above i never said i expect 3ghz out of it you are blowing things way beyond proportion

7. noizdaemon666

Ok guys calm down, no need to get all riled up :) I think the internet has caused some hostility due to being unable to tell when people are being deadly serious on a forum page.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

i am happy with the board even if i cant get 0.1ghz from it for a tenner i am NOT complaining i just said that he mentioned about the overclocking thats it now lets move on

i am happy
    shirty is happy

= friends

lets leave at that

9. noizdaemon666

Oh so I'm not your friend!? :p lol

Joking aside you should be able to get some more out of the E6400. But it might not be worth it due to the heat etc.

10. Shirty

Chill, chill - that wasn't supposed to come across as hostile so I'm sorry if it did. I thought the smiley face at the end would indicate that :p

I'm just trying to manage your expectations for you. In actual fact, the E6400 is still a very good chip, I can still remember my first C2D (an E6300) - it changed my life and got me back into PCs again after a period of suffering with hot, slow Pentium 4 rigs. I didn't touch the clocks on it for ages, but when I did it set off the upgrade addiction and I got hold of an E6600, then an E8400 before biting the bullet and upgrading the whole rig to Sandy Bridge.

Edit: we're all friends here. As I said to maple via PM a while back, I'm about as laid back as it gets, you'll have to do a lot to rile me :) I don't give away my stuff to people I don't consider friends.

11. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you sir i thought you got mad, how come you went from e6300 to e6600 could the e6300 not be overclocked to e6600 speeds or is it because your motherboard in those days couldnt do it

12. maple

maple Minimodder

i am thinking i'm getting max 2.4ghz if i did could i do it without upping the voltage and if i wanted to underclock which i probably wont since no point could the board let me do that aswell

i have 13 friends on here

hamza is the best though

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

yeah me too - I always try to make full use of smilies to ensure people know when I am jesting or not serious!

Don't worry about it anyone, posting is quite a primitive form of communication :D

14. Shirty

The E6600 had an additional 2MB of L2 cache and a higher FSB multiplier, which meant I could overclock it further and even clock for clock it was a little quicker.

Basically, the original line-up in 2006 went:

Junior (2MB cache)

E6300 1.86GHz
    E6400 2.83Ghz

Midrange (4MB cache)

E6600 2.40GHz
    E6700 2.67GHz

High End (4MB cache, unlocked multiplier)

X6800 2.93GHz

15. maple

maple Minimodder

and now you have 2500k what will you be moving on to next?

16. noizdaemon666

Ivy Bridge or its successor I would guess, and he's going to gift the 2500k to me as he loves me so much :D

17. Shirty

In reality I'll probably keep this CPU for several more years. I have it overclocked a lot already and I've managed to bench it stably at 5GHz on air - nothing I do gets close to using all the power it has on tap.

If it starts bottlenecking games of the future then I'll consider an upgrade, and equally if the CPU broke tomorrow I'd upgrade to a 3570K.

18. Shirty

If I ever decide to sell I'll fire you a PM before I post anything. But don't hold your breath because you'll pass out, start breathing again whilst unconscious and probably bump your head on something on the way down. :D

In all seriousness when I read the original Bit Tech review of Sandy Bridge and they were gushing about it I wasn't sure, but it truly has exceeded my expectations in every way.

19. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well it's new socket time for Haswell (1150) so I'd probably wait for that! Start saving now for new ultra PC sometime Mid/End 2013!

20. noizdaemon666

Intel are doing it wrong, you're supposed to add more pins lol

And I shall refrain from holding my breath then Shirty, unless you plan to sell in the next 1 minute 30 seconds :hehe: (Length of time I can hold my breath. You see, it does make sense)