1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marketplace sold item problem

Discussion in 'Serious' started by phinix, 3 Nov 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I agree, much better to claim on the insurance than end up out of pocket yourselves.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Postal insurance = blood from a stone. You may get money if something is lost or if the parcel can be shown to have sustained damage, but for this parcel there's no chance of that IMO; it's a dead-end.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

@Phinix Not sure mate, but boxes don't always get damaged when the stuff inside gets broken.

edit:
    That sucks, I'd still give it a try since there's nothing to lose.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

FYI the majority of commercial carriers offer NO compensation for electronics unless they lose the package. It's too high risk for them.

RMSD is an expensive exception to that rule.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Even with RMSD you only have two chances, A dogs chance or no chance :grr: I had a item go missing with RMSD they wanted proof the item was in there in the first place then months later they gave me a book of stamps

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've had the same experience as Teelzebub on 2 occasions for lost items. Either a book of stamps or studied indifference with much quoting of rules and small print.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ sent an SSD to crucial for RMA via RMSD , it never arrived an RM said `so what` - got reall messy really quickly - had some advice from MSE forum which got RM moving.

contact hermes and put a claim in for damaged in transit and go from there

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

If it was me I'd take the item back and give a full refund, then deal with postal insurance etc myself.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Given that time is money and it's only £52 (not a trifle, but not really the earth either), everyone posting in this thread besides the two complainants could just chuck a couple of quid into a collection jar and we'd be almost all the way to reimbursing Oscar. Less than the cost of a pint, after all. Someone said crowd analysis earlier; what about crowd compensation?

(I'm not being facetious, I really think we may as well - given that, if you ran everyone's time spent in this thread through their respective wage rates, we've effectively contributed the original amount between us already.)

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

If you do it for one you have to do it for all, it would also lead people into thinking the forum would pick up the bill if they have problems with their sales.

The way I look at it is, that if you are a seller you take a responsibility on to cover yourself in all eventualities, whenever I sell something on eBay or the forums I video it working first and I take pictures of every detail, serial numbers, sockets, pins etc.

If someone has an issue I can clearly absolve myself by showing the product working, if I fail to do that and the buyer contacts me back within a reasonable period of time then I just suck it up, pay the refund and move on, I'd say 7 days is reasonable.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm with lysaer, cover every eventuality off if losing something unless you can stand to lose that amount.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

I've thought about this and it seems a bit lopsided, given that when something is returned it's usually because a full refund or replacement is coming the other way. From my point of view, I will have lost half of the money + half postage, as well as the £20 I paid someone to troubleshoot. However from your POV you will have still made a pretty good profit, but also have a board which you may well end up get working again or can at least sell for a few pounds as faulty or parts. So the very end result will be that I've lost about £30 (£50 if you include me covering spazmochad's petrol), but you've gained around £30 (assuming it's FUBAR, and much more if you were to figure out the problem and fix it).

I feel if I was to send it back to you, then a refund of the board would be right, because the end result is as close as we're going to get to what we had before the transaction. With the board back, you could hope to find the problem or, worst case scenario, still sell as faulty and make something. Meanwhile I've made no profit myself, and made a loss outside of the motherboard sale which I'll live with.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I will make NO profit! I will lose half of the money and bin the mobo.

Well, I gave you my offer. Your £20 costs of paying someone to test it was your decision and you didn't ask if I would agree on this - which should have been done. I would never pay for tests without agreeing with other side.
    Anyway, I just want the mobo back so I can bin it, no reselling or anything like that. I won't be able to test it either - do not have matching parts.

Anyway, now I say that you still considering that motherboard might me good or can be fixed.
    This is very suspicious from my point of view.

Getting back the mobo and paying you back £26 + half of return postage costs I will not make any profit, same as you I will lose half the money, same amount as you. That is why I think this is fair. Choice is yours. I can have the mobo, or return it and get the half money back.

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'll be blunt. Although I would also want the motherboard back (and would pay return postage) in the absence of damage I would give a full refund. In addition I wouldn't buy anything from you with that attitude and would add you to my small list of people to avoid.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The problem is damage isn't always visible. If both of you guys are gonna bin the board regardless, don't bother returning it and I'd still say split the cost of the board. Returning it would only put more money into the pockets of the delivery companies who I'd personally blame for damaging it in transit.

As for any attitude to be honest I was expecting this to become much more heated much more quickly. The fact it hasn't - yet, and I'd hope it continues that way - I'd say in commendable.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I agree.

I only want to get the mobo back so I know it is scrapped and in deed, faulty. If other side wants to keep the item, it is more than suspicious that it may be in working order.
    I will post a photo of scrapped mobo after I receive it. I will personally use a hammer to break it in pieces. I said it before and will say again - I do not look for profit by cheating and selling damaged items.
    Return postage will cost around £4 tops, using Hermes - no point insuring it now, just to take cheapest method.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I did consider this phinix, but since another BT member went to test it and had no luck I ruled it out. In my mind the board is dead. Since you have no way to test whether it is or isn't, I can't see the point in wasting £4 on postage.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

A thread that could've started with just "I sold a motherboard that I tested and the buyer says it's faulty, what should I do and what's your experiences?" became a 5,000-character backstory about why you shouldn't have sold it to me. I fear you've been trying to convince yourself a way of getting the most money out of the situation, either by enough members saying keep the money or by uncovering a conspiracy (it seems we've moved on to the latter).

When someone mentioned that they once went halves, I wondered if you'd jump on that. And I also suspected that if I questioned it, you'd go off on one. It's understandable to try and lower losses, but it feels like you're only going for that because it gets you the most money, not that it's the best or fair option. It's fair to say that if you were going into this open-minded, you wouldn't at this point be calling the buyer a crook and another member here a liar.

You even give your "offer" a finality, "choice is yours" as if I really have no choice in the matter; if I don't accept your terms, then you can tell yourself you have good reason to keep the money. This doesn't sound like "find[ing a] solution together", it sounds like "finding my solution together".

But any temptation from me to call it quits at halves has certainly gone now. I'm appalled. Spazmochad didn't have to post in this thread, he certainly didn't have to travel 60 miles for no extra money, only to be insulted. And this is why I was initially unsure about posting in this thread. On the one hand it's great because if someone gets hostile, it's out in the open. But on the other hand it feels inevitable it'll turn into an internet argument. Plus it makes the marketplace in general look like it's untrustworthy, and it's said a lot how nice the place is and that's certainly been my experience.

I'm not super active on this forum usually, but I'm going to assume that not every time someone has problems that they make a public thread about it with an essay on how they should've sold it to someone else instead.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2014
  19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Without wanting to take sides, that comment makes me slightly suspicious tbh. Unless I've missed something I thought you'd already tried everything and confirmed that it was the Mobo? with the exception of a bios update, which a new board wouldn't solve anyway.

That being said I would offer a full refund on return of the board, with the seller covering the cost of the return postage.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am also on the side of a full refund. I have dealt with phinix in the past and can readily vouch for his integrity. But this is a no win situation for both parties but I believe that oscy has also acted fairly. Whether he should have got phinix's permission to have spzmochad try and resolve the issues with the mobo is irrelevant, as I suspect if he had of sorted the mobo then oscy would have born the extra cost (£20 petrol) and the matter would have been resolved.

But unfortunately spazmochad could not resolve the issue and found no obvious signs of damaged cause by the buyer. So it looks like one of these inexplicable failures we have all probably experienced at some time with components ETC with no fault attached to either party.

So a full refund is really the only honourable way to resolve this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.