1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jan 2010.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Cheers, ordered it last night so waiting on postie.

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Just finished this. For me the best game in the last five years. Absolutely superb from start to finish. All I want to do is play it again. It's going to take something special to stop this being game of the year.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

just like the first one really.. I don't se much of a difference other than the stores operate by atm and the scanning for resources.. haven't really got too far reading all history and lore in the codex

the quarian said that the scamming midget accused her of stealing.. ran into tali once already- and the bar on omni had some blue stripper taking all my money for dancing

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Feb 2010
  4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

my only complaint so far with this game was that it took me about 3.5 hours to actually start playing, and that's on the xbox. what with saving to the hard drive, downloading the update, entering code for cerebus, downloading the DLC, downloading the blood dragon armour, spending fecking ages working out how to add my pre-order bonus armour, then having to set up an account with bioware, link it to the ea account and my xbox id, download the pre order armour, then start game and spent sodding ages reading all the codex entries. good job I had some free time for all that.

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Banged Tali. Am so looking forward to seeing her face in ME3. I also look forward to seeing the resulting catfight between Tali and Ashley :)

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Feb 2010
  6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

My copy arrived yesterday with an armour code from Play, it took me ages to figure out how to get D/L it too.

Loaded up the ME2 website, created an account, get to the screen to enter the armour code and there didn't seem to be anywhere to tell it what my gamertag was.
    I spent ages searching all the profile options trying to find where to enter my gamertag. Turns out I should have just stuck the game in and registered with EA on the 360 (which then links in with the Bioware account I'd just created).

It would have been much easier to just give us a code to use on the 360 marketplace than jump through hoops on the website.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I disagree. I know it was probably meant to feel like it, but I could not escape the feeling that every action was predetermined and decided on by Illusive Man, rather than Shepard. Sure, conversation choices were my own, but everything else felt like Illusive Man was using Shepard as a pawn. The only time I felt this change was right at the end.

As for the good/evil thing, I sort of agree, but there are numerous paragon options that avoid unnecessary killing, and plenty of Renegade options that actively encourage it. Not to mention the number of times you can just not do to the paragon action and pretty much endorse a killing.

Last time I checked with my moral code, it's not exactly good to kill, or endorse it through inactivity, when your actions could directly save a life.

Even on PC I didn't work out the Collectors armour/Incisor rifle/Infernus armour until my second play through. I couldn't work it out immediately on launch, and didn't really want to delay playing for some shiney bits.

Worth it though.

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I finished it at about 3 this morning, straight play through with some of the side quests. I'll be restarting the original tonight (my finished save game was lost ages ago) so I can get the choices I made, not the generic ones. Possibly go full Adept this time as some of the powers are seriously sweet and the biotic combos (oh, the joy of the combos!!) can sting a touch ;D

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I kinda miss hunting for armor like in me1.. dealing with the traders was a little more memorable too.. guess just less to code when you have two armors for each character- then do squad upgrades to the armor as a whole..

with the way it's setup now.. they could make content for me all day

the voice acting is good but not perfect.. there were a couple of re-takes you could tell were put together last minute.. the scanning isn't near as fun as using the rover

I'm still working the loyalty missions so I can't really comment on the end game.. the opening was one of the best ever :D

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Thing is, you are a pawn. In games it's monumentally difficult to create a setting where you are not a pawn. It's extremely difficult to tell a story in a game if you've got the player able to go off and do his or her own thing all the time. The way ME2 handles your pawn status is good, because you do get to react to it. A game with the player free to make their own mission, set their own goals and hit their own targets is the stuff of dreams I would think. If you want a game with pre-generated content (such as the missions in ME2, as opposed to the more organically occurring content of for example Mount and Blade) then the trade off is you have to follow the path. It's a compromise but the good games pull it off.

Regarding the renegade killing folks, I think it's a case of thoroughness for the renegade. If you play it in Renegade mode Shepard takes no risks by leaving survivors or anything like that, which is cold blooded as hell, but not sadistic or a product of greed. I mean if you go evil in Fallout 3 you can nuke a town for a fistful of caps, now that's evil.

11. Dr Dark

Dr Dark What's a Dremel?

Played the game from start to end - about 18hrs in total for me.... I was like - WOOOO at the intro and story set up... nicely handled...

but...

I HATE the ending. Its like they ran out of ideas!

The first game actually had me "conned" a bit - there were times when I thought I had completed the game, only for the story to continue... I enjoyed that, falt like I was getting into a really deep game and thought it good value...

This time round, as I completed it far quicker than most other games I have (and not on easy setting either!) I felt a bit let down.. .this is just a build up for Mass Effect 3... which to be honest, better be bloody special because I WONT buy it straight away like I did this time.

No... never doing that again. Glad I didn't pay some of the obscene prices I've seen around... some as high as 60 quid! WTF?!!!

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Myself, i played ME through a long time ago on the 360

On one of the many steam sales, i got ME PC, but never quite made it past about 1/3 in (too much distraction from other games)

Eventually succumbed to the good press ME2 has been getting (and the bad press Bioshock2 got, i brought ME2 with the funds i set aside for bioshock 2 after i learned about the ludicrous DRM on it, FU 2k!)

Played 20-30mins of ME2, i've so far been so impressed i've gone back to my 1/3 complete ME1 save so i can complete that then import it first :)

Nearly at the end of ME1 again now, i'm quite impressed i've been able to actually hold off playing ME2 so i can get the ME1 save :rock:

Tags: Add Tags