1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Matt Damon wanted Myst-like Bourne Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

nice effort Damon. more puzzly is good. but we all need abit of action. just abit. we'll see how it goes when its out....

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the game is going to suck anyway...... even if a myst like game would be a breath of fresh air considering the types of games we have.....

4. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

After seeing the previews for the game that are available, I'm really disappointed. I think Damon's idea sounds much more intriguing.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"By following the rules of the Film Actor's Guild, the world can become a better place; that handles dangerous people with talk, and reasoning; that, is the *** way. One day you'll all look at the world us actors created and say, "wow, good going, ***. You really made the world a better place, didntcha, ***?"

MatT DayMurN....DURR....

hehe, sorry couldn't resist the jab!

at the end of the day, I don't really expect any film actor/producer to haver that big an impact on the way a game is made. they're in the film industry, not the game industry. they may overlap, they may share similarities but require completely different expertise. but hey, Matt, nice to see you've got good opinions about the violence in games not being presented to kids. shame it clashes with your film ethics. good effort, ***.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

no-one will play it anyway

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

typical joe martin again.

i COMPLETELY disagree. his films are hardly marketed at children, whereas the games could quite possibly be. you're the most biased "journalist" ever with a narrow minded hippy view. hardly good reporting.

i for one, would probably play the game because i though the myst series was GREAT.

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm suprised when an actor starts in a movie production they don't automatically sign their face to whatever spinoffs the film has. Eh, I didn't actually notice he didn't look the same till now.
    Making a bourne adventure game wouldn't really work, I mean, you have to have action Somewhere in a bourne storyline. Combining the two game types would be kinda jarring. Hmm.

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Thing is, even with all the action in the bourne films, its the storyline that keeps you interested.
    I think the more puzzle-y game might have been more interesting.

Something along the lines of splinter cell might have been good?

Still, even if it is an FPS, they may still have the sense to include a really good story etc instead of another tired movie-tie-in rip-off. :(

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Ok, joe ain't my favorite writer either, but I think you're missing the point.... there was a bit of sarcasm there....

11. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

Also I feel the point was that it wasn't going to be anything like Myst? Kinda like saying im TOALLY going to eat that apple.... because I think bananas are really cool.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:jawdrop:

Sorry. I feel my point stands though, without having to get too deep into it. The game is marketed to adults, just like the film, but what his mother seems to have implied is that Matt believes violence in films is fine, while violence in games is deplorable. For a man that actually made an action film, that is a bit of a double standard no matter how you look at that. Sure, you can say that kids would likely buy this game - but that's mooted by the fact that kids would likely see the film too. All I was doing was pointing out that if a man is going to put his face to a violent film character, it's odd that he wouldn't want to put his face to the same character in a game. I've edited the article to make this idea more clearly stated.

I actually think his idea for the game sounds good too, but I don't think it would have sold. Mass audiences wouldn't buy it.

And I'd go as far as point out that considering someone a hippy on the basis of the above point is hardly fair and is, in fact, a tad narrow-minded in itself.

I've no problem with criticism, and indeed welcome anyone to contact me directly with feedback, but at least make sure that feedback is constructive and non-inflammatory. And properly punctuated too, please.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

So:

Bad:
    Joe SUXORS!!1!!!

Bit better:
    Joe, you suck!

Bit better still:
    Joe, I'm afraid that I believe you suck, and this doesn't sit well with me at all

Perfect:
    Joe, I'm afraid that your sucking is, personally for me, an undesirable quality, and I would much prefer it if you would, and I speak only for myself here, cease your sucking. If you could instead actually blow more often, if it's not too much trouble, that'd be really beneficial to my happiness. Thank you

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Either I'm missing some big in-joke or we somehow found some very pent up and viscious members on our forums today. I come here to read and post because it doesn't contain the bs-n00b-kiddies that places like Engadget does. I've never seen someone on here go: "I like Macs" and then someone go "[profanity] fanboy [lude comment about his mother]" etc. Sure there are still the devided camps, just like with everything else but its not venomately degrading to where you're scared to voice your oppinion.

My point is, Joe, just like the rest of the writers at this site, work their butts off to bring us good content and reviews. No one is forcing Bit down your throats. No one is forcing you to log in and post a comment. If you don't like the site, find another, or another. The internet is a big place.

You say Joe is bias but I read an article here or somewhere where a reviewer is always a bit biased because a video game is a subjective experience. And Joe is usually up front in his reviews saying things like "well this isn't my type of game but..." and sometimes even he is surprised how much he likes the game.

Think you can do a better job reviewing or writing articles? Apply to write for Bit. Or any other site, or start your own. But for bloody sake, don't sh*t in Bit's yard with flaming comments that are nothing better then childish abuse. You have every right to voice your oppinion but you don't have every to insult his character.

I mean seriously:

What the ****!

1) "Typical Joe Martin again." - This right off the bat implies that anything following is probably going to be close minded.
    2) "You're the most biased 'journalist' ever..." - Most of Joe's work is a constructed subjective opinion modified into an analyse that the public can digest. Its his friggin' job. If you don't like his work, don't read it. And certainly don't b*tch in such a manner. This is miles away from constructive feedback.
    3) "...ever with a narrow minded hippy view." - I can't break down all the things wrong with that but lets start with: I have friends' parents who are/were hippies. One is a very successful lawyer. One teaches Wicca. In their time, Hippies (some/most) were rallying for peace and an end to a senseless war. They saw the future more clearly then the politicians at the time. (Which kinda makes us the new Hippie-generation; but that's a conversation for another time.) In fact the only narrowminded thing I can think of is your sentence itself.
    4) "Hardly good reporting." - This explains Soooo much. Refer to #2 for more.
    5) "I for one would..." (et all) - This is the closest thing to a competent sentence that you wrote. Good job.

Oh and for the record. Who the hell thinks its a smart time to flame an Admin/Moderator/Author of a site ON their site ON A THREAD THEY JUST POSTED IN. :duh: You don't do that. Its not civil, its not smart, and it SHOULD get you banned.

No one's perfect. If you disagree with a review or an article you should have the right to say something. But to say something INTELLGENTLY.

------------------------------------------------​

@On-Topic

I like action games, and I like puzzles. I have never played Myst, but who says they have to be mutually exclusive. You could blend it like Max Payne's dream scenes, hazy flash backs between levels, or any other of a dozen ways. I agree that its a bit of a double standard to say: "I hate violence in games; but i'll shoot everyone in this movie." I mean reverse that: Let's say they made a Max Payne movie but instead it was a Love-Drama with almost no guns. That would be retarded, right? Same deal here. I like his idea, but his logic is flawed. There's ratings on Movies and there's ratings on Games. Kids will still see what kids want to see. This marks the first time that I recall an actor talking about video games since Vin Disiel. I see this as a good thing.

------------------------------------------------​

P.S. - Any typos are blamed on this craptop's IE6. I am way too dependant on Firefox's spell check. And to all the intellgent respectful members of Bit: Thank you for making this place all that it is, and to all the Bit Staff: Keep up the amazing work. :thumb:

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The only thing i would say i Damon's defence is that US games don't have a legally enforced rating so would very easily and legally find there way into the hands of minors.

/off topic, Personally don't see the problem with the article.

16. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

The movie is about jumping through windows and shooting people. Why should the game be untrue to that? It's a movie to video game transfer, it's going to be bad no matter what you do with it, so why not be true to the content and let people who were in love with the movies drive sales?

17. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Faulk_Wulf and CardJoe, sitting in a tree....

:D

18. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

From this post, we can clearly establish that you have either confused yourself with other films, or infact haven't seen said films.

Yes a first person shooter based around The Bourne trilogy would suck, and making it more 'puzzley' would be good. However, insulting the Trilogy just isn't cool.

19. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

yeah, i was thinking that too. bourne doesn't kill anyone unless he absolutely has to. it should be mostly a stealth/exploration game.

20. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Well I would never get this game, but that has more to do with the fact that I read the books before watching the movies and it seems all they actually kept from the books were the titles and some of the character names. The books are fantastic, the movies are probably good if you have not read the books, but if you have they are bad :-(
    Anyway I see no reason why you could not merge action and myst.. could be quite cool.. I liked Myst!

Tags: Add Tags