1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Metro 2033 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Mar 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

We're going deeper underground with Metro 2033, a Russian shooter about the survivors of a nuclear holocaust, who live in the metro tunnels beneath Moscow. Developed by former STALKER developers, will Metro 2033 turn out to be out new favourite shooter?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/03/26/metro-2033-review/1

:)

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Oh a 6 hmmm can't honestly say that feels right still I think some of the lack of story is lost on me as I am reading the book and progressing though the game at the same time so everything feels a bit more fleshed out. I'm also playing it alone, in the dark and that is where this game shines I get a real sensation of dread from wandering about the tunnels the above ground stuff was ok but I much prefer the cover of darkness.

I do agree that the guns seem weak against mutants though and that can be irritating even when you get a better shotgun for upclose they still take way to much to kill which isnt scary or exciting it's just monotonous.

I think that the weaknesses in Metro could easily be rectified the same way they were in Stalker, by modders so lets hope that those clever folk find a way or 4A release and SDK. Overall though I was pleased enough with what I paid for and perhaps without the time restraint to get a review out being able to walk away from it when it annoyed me to come back fresh the next day works out better.

My advice read the book it's better and will make the game feel better as a result even though you will wonder why they missed out on so much character back story.

3. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

Broken leg thats what i feel about this game

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Quote of the day :thumb:

5. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

I loved the game :) Guns are waaaaaayyyy too underpowered when it comes to mutants though. I guess this isn't why I'm a game reviewer, I would have given it a 9! Tbh I think this game is marmite like Stalker, you love it or hate it.

6. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

When all anyone eats is pork and underground mushrooms that might not be so ridiculous

7. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

...on rails, yeah!

I see what you did there.

:)

8. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I've only been playing for around two hours, but I have to agree. Combat and voice acting is dreary at best. I hate the way combat is broken into two minute sections by cut-scenes or loading points, too.

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

So this game is as bad as Command and Conquer 4 which also scored a 6. (And that game really deserved a 2 at best). I know I shouldnt place too much emphasis on scores, but essentially that is what it boils down to.

Ratings are important to me as I normally dont give a game that scores less than 7 a chance to be honest.. unless its something Im specifically interested in.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  10. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

loving the game, yes, it's heavily scripted but has a solid story and is scary, more than desolate STALKER.

btw, STALKER isn't inspired by Chernobyl tragedy it's based on a book The Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky brothers. in the book however there's more than one Zone, in fact the entire planet is littered with them, created overnight and dangerous because of the anomalies. they serve as a scientific and scavenger paradise, where the sought after artifacts make STALKERS rich overnight and scientists solve problems like world hunger or energy production.
    Chernobyl serves as an explanation and reason for the Zone, and since the devs GSC are Ukrainian, working barely 3 hours drive from the place, then why not use real renderings of the place for the game, right?

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I know, but if you read Roadside Picnic then you'll see that it itself is heavily inspired by Chernobyl and that it actually doesn't have strong a connection to the game as the game does to the location itself. Roadside Picnic may have been the genesis and the goal, but Chernobyl + Radiation is the more evident influence and the reality of where the series is headed.

12. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Game is very average, Call of pripyat was a lot better, longer, and cheaper to boot with replayabilty and a lot to explore as well as multiple ways to do quests, different outcomes, etc...

13. mastorofpuppetz

PS: modders cannot save this game and its gripping linearity or lack of replayability.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Really, in a game called METRO your biggest complaint is tunnels?

The AI is a great improvement over Stalker, you can actually sneak now! Apart from combat with mutants (take WAY too much damage to the body, it breaks the flow) i think the game was downright amazing. Your western minds just can't comprehend the awesome of this game.

I just wish they didn't leave out some parts of the book that they did leave out. The game didn't really do a good job at explaining the Dark Ones' intentions either. If it wasn't for the book i'd be like wtf.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

in my opinion but the hit detection seems to be getting worse as I get further in.

16. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

u have to understand that here on bit-tech
    they give 6 for good games

17. mastorofpuppetz

HUH? There are A LOT of complaints other then tunnels, maybe read again.

18. mastorofpuppetz

Ai is a joke compared to stalker, Stalkers AI evolves in large areas and random fights, schedules, Metros's, just stay in small linear areas. The Ai in Stalker seems alive, both have AI issues, but stalkers living breathing AI in large open areas is a lot more impressive then Metro's AI.
    Your western minds can't comprehend the greatest of this game? LMAO, please. Game is average all over. Stalker is a lot betetr then this.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Agreed - STALKER's AI poops all over Metro 2033 as if it has awesomeness diarrhoea. STALKER fails in many places, but the AI is superb.

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm... I was kind of hoping for some comparison screenshots, given that it can be DX9/10/11...

Tags: Add Tags