1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Can someone allow me access to the world we're using now? (And let me know what the world name is, or how to access it!) My username is 'blc'.

I haven't been around in a while, feeling the need to jump back in now that so much has changed.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Playing on World17

/goto world17

Just need someone to grant you access.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, it looks like my permissions are all still in order. I can access world17 without a problem. All my cool stuff is still in world18beta too :). I can't bring my horsies to world17 tho - mutliworld won't TP me when I'm riding a horse :(.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Jumped on to take a nose around, start scouting out somewhere/something to build, aaaaand.... before I know it I've got the Minecraft bug again.

5. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

* thumbs up *

Tapatalking from my own galaxy

6. MrsFio

Playtime, anyone?

7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

oh well that lasted long...

nevermind guess ill find a different server

any suggestions ?

8. MrsFio

did you give up before we could help? well good luck in finding a friendlier server. :)

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

a had a couple of lagspikes, saw a character in chainmail armour, then the host closed the connection ( i assume i had been kicked ) and that happened twice in succession

10. Revil0

Revil0 99% lurking

That's just the server having trouble! (it happens now and then...)

11. MrsFio

The character in chain mail was me trying to save you from dying AGAIN ;-)

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The host closing the connection problem seems to be caused by the host server failing to deliver the data out from the host country (as XM didn't disconnect when the rest of us did), so anyone in Europe and possibly other locations are getting dropped... generally it seems to be happening somewhere near to 21:00 GMT.
    At the same time I've noticed in the chat log that there's often a back-up of the worlds happening during the disconnects, so my guess is that the server doesn't like the active connections from across the pond while it's trying to back-up.

I think we can rule out the issue being multiple people connected or the connections being from various countries, as the game ran fine when there were 5 of us all in MrsFio & JR's house with all their farm animals.
    I also haven't noticed any lag/disconnects when it's not got that backing up message in the corner, so that would be my prime suspect for the connection closing.

When the back-up & disconnects occurred on Sunday, it seemed that the problem was all clear again after about 20-25 minutes.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  13. MrsFio

tho I barely understood half of what you just wrote : thanx for writing it!!:thumb:
    I think it is a lot more helpful to XM than my stumbling attempts to describe the same thing :blush:

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

^_^ I barely understand myself most of the time when I write stuff down, it's much clearer in my head though.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I'm noticing quite a few forced disconnects and a lot of lag spikes. Without access to log files or the server console it's hard to say whether it's internet connection related, the minecraft server software, or a bukkit plugin (I know dynmap has already been killed).

There's a hell of a lot of data in those world folders now; wonder how big those HawkEye SQL logs are getting? There used to be a lot of issues with the index sizes on HawkEye databases/tables - used to cause performance problems when they started getting quite big. Not sure if this is still an issue now though, it was a few years ago when I last had problems with it.

I've stayed connected during world backups with no lag.

EDIT:

It's worth a little patience. I know there aren't many people online these days, but the people that are here are pretty damn decent. As the man himself said a few pages back, this isn't a managed server being run by a professional service provider: it's a box running in someone's home that they're not charging you to use. I don't know what specs it's running, but I speak from experience when I say that renting a Minecraft server - managed server or a self-service virtual machine - capable of handling all the mods and plugins that this one has is not a cheap proposition. Not to say that you shouldn't speak up if there are problems (and there do seem to be some hiccups lately), but you can't expect a service level agreement on someone's good will.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  16. MrsFio

thumbs up to BLC :)

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Sounds quite possible that something could be clogging up the system causing the issues, as iirc with Minecraft it's not so much the CPU that gets used by the server software but more the Ram, but I may be wrong.

If I could I when I build my media server, I would run a Minecraft server as the spec of my server will be a I7 950, 6Gb ram and will be on a 12Mb upload speed connection, but as the media server will have up to 20 people connecting to it at the same time, I won't be running anything on it.

If I end up not running the media server though I will look at running a server if I can.

18. MrsFio

*sigh*
    Kiteninja's portal is surrounded by angry pigmen who stole my best armor and weapons..

Anyone got any good Ideas? - or want to help me reclaim some stuff?

19. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

I'll help but I don't have armor/weapons.. and I'm up in my treehouse hiding, MrsFio..

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Depends on whether you run a lot of mods/plugins or not. If you've got a heavily modded server (with a Forge modpack or similar) then the CPU can take a massive hit too. But with Vanilla/Bukkit it's usually the RAM that kills you... and disk access speed. Personally I think an SSD on SATA2/3 is a minimum requirement for a Minecraft server; it dramatically speeds up chunk loading. Running HawkEye doesn't help either, but IMO it's pretty much a requirement for a non-whitelisted server. Each and every single change to the world by a player is logged and recorded in a local SQL database; with more than 5 or so players that can massively slow things down.

Minecraft might look simple but it's deceptively resource hungry. Mojang/Microsoft, please re-write it in C/C++/whatever! Even C# would be better! Java stinks!