1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

that is awesome, definately a rig to be proud of here, great work, i love it! :rock: :rock:

2. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

just go to auto zone they sell this leak tester stuff for cooling systems it comes in blue and green shouldent leave a resedue b/c its ment for cooling systems :D

3. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Well, its meant for cooling systems in automobiles -- which don't use clear tubing (or any PVC for that matter)... It's going on 1 week with no buildup, which is longer than I've ever seen. Pug is doing some research into coolant dyes that DONT do this.

4. Starbuck3733T

Ahh, textual update. Not really interesting yet but...

Gary Cho @ CustomPCB and I spoke, and I'm doing a prototype run of my touchbus input panel that uses a Qprox QT150 and provides several lights (one to illuminate keys, one to illuminate keys differently on touch) as well as 2 auxilliary holes per key for any additional LEDs I might think up.

I should have the boards in my hands next week.

5. Starbuck3733T

Custom touchbus input panel shipped today, so 3 business day shipping puts it in my hands on tuesday or wednesday. I hope I have the time to assemble it (not to mention all the components) and test it out. Since electrode design for the Qprox is such a black art, it makes me rather nervous. I'll probably have to switch out Cs (sense capacitor) several times.

6. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

sweet man really sweet that's all there is to say :)

7. Jedateach

Jedateach What's a Dremel?

Seems like the only thing your NOT watercooling is the your Power Supply!

Looking good tho man, I hope your a weighlifter if u plan to move this thing often... if not, Im sure you'll end up being one :p

:dremel: on man

8. Starbuck3733T

That will come in due time I suppose. With the silentstar installed, the loudest thing (or at least most noticable) is the 80mm L1A in the power supply (previous ly modified in). it's at full speed, so it does still make a bit of noise. its also not vibration isolated, so that contributes to the problem.

I'd get in there and swap it/modify it BUT to get the PSU out I would have to remove the radiator and that is not a pleasant or quick task. I've contemplated replacing it with a silenx. watercooling it is a possibilty, but that's way down the line. getting the outsides done is the current drive.

9. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Looks absolutly GREAT!!

me subscribes :p

Cheers,
    Mike

10. Starbuck3733T

I am such a tease.

Here are some proof of concept photos for how I want my front-panel indicators to look. I'd haev done all the colors I have but I can't seem to locate my big bag of LEDs! (GRRR!!!)

Indicator off: (indicator invisible!)
    [​IMG]

Indicator on: (appears out of no where!)
    [​IMG]

Videos in action (Divx 5.1.1 pro codec used on my end)

In the light (812KB)

In the dark (268KB)

This was accomplished by drilling a hole at a 45* angle through solid black 1/4" plexi, and then cutting optical fiber from an SPDIF cable to about 1/2" long. The 45* angle is so that it shines away from your eye, and you don't get 'indicator bloom' like you do on most modded cases -- when you photograph them, you get an indicator that's about 5X as big as it should be. A hole was drilled in the center of the LED, and then fitted to the optical fiber. The 1/4" thick piece holding the optical fiber was placed behind (and being held to by masking tape :p) a piece of 1/8" translucent smoked gray plexi. I'm rather pleased. In the end the 'primary' color for single state indicators will be white. The secondary color (such as the read/write on my CDRW) will be blue. if a tri state is needed (my network card 10/100/act) then it'll go white/blue/purple. I think it looks awesome. :)

11. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

I love your work!! But I can't really see where the indicator is located..

12. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

VERY cool! :rock:

13. Starbuck3733T

Indicator is the blue dot in the 2nd image. Watch the movies. it makes more sense.

I found teh big bag of diodes. white looks lovely! Though I think i'll be locating the actual light source a bit further back from the display than what I have here, as they cast behind the display. If I hide them behind the touch board input panel, any light the LEDs cast for the indicators wont mess up the effect, plus it'll be a neat lightup of the chassis ;)

14. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

I like the case because its long but are its dimensions really 17.5"x8.5"x26". If its really 26" Long I couldn't git that puppy on my desk without it hanging over about 5" :duh: How much did that one set you back because all the ones I see retail are big bucks. Nice mod so far and I bet the space in the that case must be really nice.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2004
  15. Starbuck3733T

Those dimensions sound about right... the front is 43.1mm tall by 22 mm wide. I t didn't set me back a penny because my buddy kyle bought it for me when I did some coding work for him. I bought it from centrix-intl.com for $99 at the time, but now they're down to $49... http://www.centrix-intl.com/list.asp?CategoryID=7 ... you want the KHDBASE part.

Oh, and my desk is very deep - its actually a top for a conference room table. My college room mate had 2 of them in an L for his desk, and he picked me up one. dunno where.

16. Nightingale_zero

Thanks for the info because I have seen similar prices that are much more for some reason. I have been looking for something thats long like this for my gundam mod project and the model I want to use for the main part is a whopping 57cm so that case would just give me room to spare on the top. Great price to only bad part is the shipping cost which brings the total out the door to 70 bucks doh. At that weight it must be a tank.

17. Nightingale_zero

Actually a quick browse on ebay and I found the SC5000 for 40 bucks plus 25 shipping so I can save 10 bucks and get it here faster since the guy is located in TN which is a few hours away.

18. Starbuck3733T

I think its close to 40 pounds w\ just the PSU and the sheetmetal.

19. Nightingale_zero

yeah sounds really heavy. I am trying to haggle a little with the guy and see if I can get it any cheaper not because I want to be cheap but because its kinda expensive for a teen to buy components all the time. I am really trying to get ahold of an AX800 so thats going to set me back.

20. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

Hey starbuck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.