1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

true true but i think you should give us more info on that touch sensor thingie, or even a log on how to make our own

2. GhettoNAR

GhettoNAR What's a Dremel?

case modding is sweet, but re-wireing your drives is definitly one up on others! You should for sure post more on the wireing :dremel:

3. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Got my VFD in on friday, and spent a bit of my day making the cable.

VFD. man,this thing is heavy (it should be as it has two large 3/8" thick pieces of glass sealing the screen)
    [​IMG]

I put some masking tape over the screen to protect it while i worked on the VFD.
    [​IMG]

First task at hand was to add a decoupling cap between the gnd and +5v lines on the display
    [​IMG]

1uF/50V.striped leg to ground, other to +5V.
    [​IMG]

I salvaged a 2x13 pin connector from an old 486 box's parallel port connecor (Before they put them all on the motherboard). Its keyed, so there is no way for me to mess up the connection and fry my precious vfd (hey, its $160 - better be careful.) Below is the 25pin D shell connecor for the parallel port (new, but it was in my bag-o-bits. they can be had at RadioShack/RS/maplin for very cheap)
    [​IMG]

Since pins 18-25 on the parallel port are all ground, connect them all together so one only has to run a single line over to the common ground pins (all the even numbered ones up to 24 on the VFD. Cut a length of wire (see the red mark) then strip all the insulation off...
    [​IMG]
    and solder the bit on...
    [​IMG]

A few moments later, following the LCDStudio/LCDInfo/LiquidMP3] wiring (Ray you rock, but i've got the bar graph driver bug.. :() The beauty of having 5000 ft of extra cat3 ;)
    [​IMG]
    (yes, I did connect the ground and trim the excess wires after this shot).
    (No pics of the other end - oops!)

Nothing impressive, as im having driver bug issues with the display. The noritake blinkenlights player looks really cool. I'll have to shoot some video of that when i get home (at the GFs for the weekend at the moment)
    [​IMG]

4. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

very nice indeed, i love it, i really need a display unit in my case, would help alot

keep up the good work :clap:

5. Starbuck3733T

Accidental Update:

Shut the fans down to blow the case out with some canned air for cleaning (I smoke too damn much, that's what... dust... ick.) I'll be glad when Im married and can't smoke in the house - machines will stay cleaner..

I cleaned it out, all was good. Decided to go take a shower before nip/tuck came on. Looked at houses. Looked for ministers for the wedding online...

All of a sudden the box starts making a hell of a lot of noise, the fans kick up to 100% (the bios QFAN warning trip on the CPU was set to 55*C). I look and realize what I had done. I had never turned speedfans automatic fan control back on after I had turned the fans down to 0% each.

Anyway The FANS WERE OFF FOR AN HOUR!!!

I immediatly check temps:
    CPU: 55*C
    Water: 37*C (HOLY ****!!)

Turned automatic control back on. temps slowly down. About 5 minutes later:
    CPU: 46*C (this in reality means 34, damn IC7 is off by 12*C!!)
    Water: 28*C
    1 hour at passive and this system was solid, given, it was only web surfing, but still that's damn good. 28*C to 25*C is nominal water temp on this rig. Fans run at near silent until the water temp hits 30, then throttle up accordingly.

And now as I finish this, temps are back down to normal. 42, 27*C on CPU, water.

Nuts. Crazy. AWESOME!

6. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

oh the beauties and scared half to deathness of modding, ( on a side note) i was playing around with some LED's the other day and got some to work with frying any!!!!

7. Stoerenfried

Stoerenfried What's a Dremel?

Hey Starbuck, how about a tut for the touch sensor?
    I'm really waiting eagerly since I'd like to integrate one in my recent project and everything else has to wait for it :rolleyes: , or at least for the decision if it is feasible the way I imagine it.
    Btw: Do you think I can use a touch sensor as on/off-switch ie is the system's standby voltage enough to operate the wiring?

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Good job on the soldering

9. Starbuck3733T

Zap: thanks. I feel more validated on my skills as an EET now that you've posted ;) (We all know you have God status here on BT)

As for the touch sensor tut: It will probably happen when I get the rest of the thing nailed down. its a simple schematic really, hit the QT150 reference PDF for an example schematic. The board was a 'proof of concept' to allow me to test out different Cs caps (sensitivity) and some other 'chit.

When spiv gets his laser cutter back together, I'll be able to move forward.

I just came up with the concept to waterjet some custom panel pulls for the back of the box. The panels on this beast don't like to come off unless you push them from the front, which you can't do with the custom front bezel on, so i've got to attach somethign pretty beefy to yank on :-D

I'll probably carry the mesh motif from the top onto the handles. Probably just a short U with perferations in it, made out of 1/4" steel plate. MIG weld them to the panels, grind the joint smooth, then off to mnpctech for paint ;)

10. Seyeklopz

Seyeklopz What's a Dremel?

Kindof a latecomer here. What do you think of an army motif?

[​IMG]

Could use a little finishing..

11. Starbuck3733T

Lollers! that's pretty funky. Thanks for the reminder that I am indeed still working on this project ;)

Thing is, I got married and am in the process of moving all my stuff.

12. Starbuck3733T

I went photo fishin' in the lounge, and here's what I came up with (its just an idea for the window, click the thread if you want the whole story)

[​IMG]

The originiating thread.

13. Starbuck3733T

Video Preview of the Chassis Control Board
    [​IMG]
    Video Preview: 14MB, DIVX Video. ~5 minutes.

I narrate for about functions of the board and some other stuff. Check it out, its worth it.

[​IMG]
    The whole setup - messy, I know. Keep in mind this is ONLY a prototype setup; all of what you see and more will be combined onto one board.

[​IMG]
    the 16F872 powered brain, on prototype board from www.SparkFun.com

[​IMG]
    the input board prototype, as outlined here

14. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

great video! i love the circut boards! very good job! *me wants to learn about circuts*

15. coorz

coorz Miffed

VFD, touch sensors, mmmm great stuff :thumb:. More please :)
    BTW where'd you get that 800A from, 160$ isn't too bad really.

16. Starbuck3733T

thanks for the compliments!

@coorz: bought from digikey, i'll get the p/n if you want me to.

17. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

elaborate work on the circuit :clap:

18. coorz

coorz Miffed

Thanks, i'll have a go at Digi-key. Just looking for a 128x64 for the collection.

19. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

how did i miss this! Awsome controller there, any chance of schematics / code samples etc... :D
    please.. :)

really like your shutdown routine there! :cooldude:

20. Starbuck3733T

Schematics coming when the circuit is done. right now its just a uC and some code.... really simple stuff actually. The LEDs are connected directly to port C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.