1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux warns companies over motion sensing controllers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 23 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I think I'd be to lazy to do any of that motion stuff, just sit and press buttons is what I prefer. But I never realy thought of that before.

3. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

Going down the road of one man knows everything. Not so - each to his own. I think the idea is innovative and the future for gaming. Nintendo 64 Z-targeting etc. - innovative and super.

For those of us not lazy its a great idea.

As for struggling to get out of the chair after/whilst gaming - this chap should seek a gym before its too late.

4. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I expect every one to love it and the idea.
    Buy the console

use it for the first weekend heavily.

wake up Monday for work/school and spend the week with sore shoulders, arms, writs etc.. try it again the next weekend get the same result.

then never touch the thing again.

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

there was a steering wheel controller, i think for the gamecube

it had motion sensing stuff in it (so when you turn it, it turns your car, like a steering wheel, but its wireless)
    However its never turned out very popular (i doubt u can still get one) perhaps this is an example of it ....

it will be interesting to watch the wii develop then, whether gamers wont be able to play for long because there's too much movement

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Lazy 'tard. Shows why our country is becoming obese more then anything.

(PS. Link to the article doesn't work)

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Sure it may create physically demanding games but if people play them for less time in some respects all the better.

For the developer its good as they could create shorter games which could lower development costs and also lower the investment risk or perhaps drive up profits.
    The second thing I think is that if it stops people playing so much perhaps they will go out and find something else to do.

Having said all of that look at the DDR games. They require a hell of alot of physical movement yet they are stupidly popular and not many people really complain.
    The only people who may find it a problem is the over-weight or unfit gamers anyway. Perhaps this such issue will spawn a whole range of keep fit type games that are a great way for the lazy to get exercise ;)

8. fingers

fingers What's a Dremel?

So true!

I think it will be great personally! Just look at how popular the Eyetoy and dancemats are! I also know loads of people who use these to exercise so playing fun games and getting a bit of a workout will justify the console for a lot of people as it costs less than 3 months gym and looks to be great fun!

Though of course there are plenty of fat lazy s*ds that will moan that they have to lift thier arm to do more than take another handful of crisps and a swig of coke!! :rolleyes:

9. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

DougEdey, what link is that?

10. fingers

fingers What's a Dremel?

Nutts, ignore me! :blush:

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The one in your OP

12. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Sorted thanks for that!

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I think the guy has a point like, I could see what he said happening. Though methinks the excersise involved would be minimal at best for any fit "normal" human.

14. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

Making gamers fitter? You mean all us kids that spend our lives on the internet need MORE wrist exercise? ;)

I do think there needs to be a lazy option, but not EVERY game is going to need full swinging around, surely? I think motion controllers are a great option, and there'll probably still be a lazy guy version. Then, swinging your "sword" around like a muppet can be saved for when there's a group of drunken mates playing. Ooh-err, careful how you read that...

(sorry, filthy filthy mind today.)

15. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

So people that want to be lazy can be lazy and just not get the games that require a lot of movement. It would be like saying that they should make a controller driven version of DDR ... just pointless.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think I actually agree with him. Once the novelty has worn off will people still want to use it? Unless the game is so completely fantastic, addictive and fun or simple like swinging a golf club that ADDS to the game rather than just for the sake of it it might not work. He definately has a point.

17. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

18. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

The guy is pawning his laziness off on the rest of the worlds gaming community. Last time I checked that silly dance revolution game was popular and what about guitar hero? That is a really popular game and I have never seen anyone playing it while sitting down they are always standing up moving around.

I know when I'm playing a game even when I am sitting down I'm never slouched back on the couch I'm always sitting on the edge of the cushion. I tried to sit down once to play time crisis 3.. as if that was going to last, I had to stand up because I was too in to the game to sit down.

At first I bet people will get tired when playing the games but after a while you get used to it. (Like exercise) I really think it’s an awesome idea to get kids off their butts and get some kind of cardio workout while being in front of the TV and honestly Nintendo has always been a Kids console. :rock: I'm all for letting my little girl get her hands on the Wii controller. :hehe:

19. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

You meen Link?

20. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

As someone above me has pointed out, when most people play a game they would rather sit down in a comfortable sofa and relax and play a game for a few hours. Standing up or even sitting down and flailing around your arms might be fun with a fun game, but I dont think it would be fun for hours on end. I think Wii's games will mostly end up with games (like ddr) that you play for a half an hour or an hour at most and then turn off. HOPEFULLY though, alot of game developers will not rely on the motion sensing controller and use the regular gamecube shell instead.

It really has nothing to do with lazyness, it has more to do with being comfortable and relaxed. I dont know about everyone else, but I play games to sit down and get away from all that hard work I've had to do earlier in the day. The last thing I want to do is exersize and get even more tired and worn out.

Tags: Add Tags