1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Music industry thinks DRM is bad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 15 Feb 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So they don't like it, we don't like it. And yet we still have it. Interesting.

I guess it's good news though. Finally music executives seem to be getting the message. The consumer now has total power. They have to please us or they lose at what they do. If we're not pleased we can simply cut them out of the loop at no big detriment to ourselves.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Other than wanting to make it easier for others, I don't give two shakes of a dogs tail about DRM, it doesn't affect us much, we just wait for someone to crack the DRM and then we are DRM free. However for the consumers it just seems that their product wont work, I know of several incidents of DRM inflicting pain into the lives of normal people. When people can't play their music on their music player they come to the store and demand a new player because theirs is broken, not knowing that their $20 player only plays MP3s and not the stuff you download from iTunes etc.

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Well, they can obviously see that DRM doesn't fit a consumer/user model. It only fits the industries financial model.

However I can't see any changes take place until they [industry] come up with a replacement that will still allow them to reap ungodly amounts of ££ for overpriced media while still protecting their copyrights.

I would be very shocked (tho happy!) if they dropped DRM altogether and assumed an "honesty" policy whereby ppl who purchase and dl a tune will keep it to themselves and not distribute.

In my opinion, I wouldnt -- simply cos if i paid for it, why would I want to give it out for free?

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some people like to share the things they love, and see as many other people taking enjoyment from something as possible. Materialsm for the lose and all that.

6. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

If only the coders for DRM went with my plan to implement ninjas that spawned on an attempt to hack the encryption, then this problem not be!

Last edited: 15 Feb 2007
  7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

ahh the DRM scam. I say get that piece of **** *** *** **** **** ;) out of our lives, and while we are at it... Also dish the HDCP scam

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The big companies who like to sue the shirts off peoples backs "for the good of the artists" are the ones who like DRM though, and thats why it's not gone yet.

Now I'd like to see the same thing done with games, I'd like to see more games like Galactic Civilizations II and Company of Heroes, where you don't even need the disk in the drive to play it.

9. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

DRM is bad, M'kay ?
    Seriously, I think it's crippling our content, and it can be defeated, in a few months, even with the millions of dollars used to create them. (AACS anyone ?)

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Seriously, artist don't get any penny... they get hudge loans for the msuic industries, and in extenge (to replay the loan) the artist soul belongs to them...
    e.i: "Here a castel, make us 20 CD per year for the next... well we will tell you when you repaid us..."

Probably now, the music industry is near bankrupcy, so they they start to be depressed...

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well, it's a start. I certainly won't buy any music infected with DRM, and I know I'm not alone. Now they just need to think about paying the artists instead of the suits and I'll actually have a reason to pay (I *want* to support my favorite artists; I *don't* want to support a bunch of asshats with lawyers).

12. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

They must of figured it out by now, drm is only an inconvenience more than anything else.

At the end of the day, to the thief the lock is only as strong as the window. You can pour as much money into buying the strongest locks but it only slows the user down. I dont want to have call the company up every time i want to unlock my house.

I remember my first encounter with drm'd content with sky by broadband. It was a major pain in the ass, the content and the client was locked to a single computer. If any other family members wanted to watch a film they had to do it on my pc, but we all have our own pcs so it just didn't work out.

I know drm won't be going away too soon but i would rather it be a little more slack and just actually test drm in a normal house hold that is a little more grey area or unaware than what the record companies think we are.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know if you relise but, I never saw teh msuic indutry suewing a person that is in teh upper middle clas... maybe because they know they can offord a lawer and know that they will lose.

Already, just the fact that they know that you downloaded music illigally, is already illegal in their part, without permition from a judge. And to have that they need solid proof that you did it.

Incase you don't know, this what, form the people that got suied, said it happended: the msuic industry comes with a hudge pack of legal paper, with ocmplicated term, so that you wither need to have a high vaccabulary level, know well the law, and have A LOT of time to read it all, or pay a lot for a lawer to read it trought, and tell you at the end... "Your getting suied by them, vbecause they suspect that you downlaoded X numbe rof music, they are ready to setle for 50 000$"
    (I smell music industry needing some money here).

Wait until they do that in Canada, specially in Quebec, where if you are suied and you can not offord a lawer because you are at minimum wage, the provincial goverment will pay you one (no loan). :naughty:

NOTE:
    Due to the msuic industry, a lot of the songs you listen were not done by the artist you like. Did anyone listen to U2... Apple U2 song they play in their ads, are way off from the average style U2 groups song is like...
    And let's not talk about Maddona.. where when she did a concert in Montreal, teh music indutry made "Madonna radio".. where you can listen to madonna song 24/7 with interviews, and lots and lots and lots and lots of ads (you really can not imagine how much ads they are)... it's like song + ads + half a song + "this song is sponsord by...." + rest of song... and so on.
    Station was removed teh next day she played... Not all tickets were sold for here concert

Last edited: 15 Feb 2007
Tags: Add Tags