1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Nebie build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rouler, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Hello all

I posted last week about purchasing an MSI GT740 laptop to replace my old deel desktop. I did'nt get any response from anyone on recommending an alternative. I'm glad i did'nt go out buy one now anyway. So i'm thinking of having a go at a custom build desktop myself.

This is the list of components i have chosen for the build, all recommendations in Custom PC.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Motherboard: Asus P6td Deluxe
    CPU: Core i7 920 DO
    RAM: Corsair Dominator XM3 PC3-12800
    CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir
    GPU: Sapphire HD 5850
    PSU: Be Quiet DPP 650w
    HDD: Samsung F3 1TB

Any thoughts on an optical drive. I thought of an LG blue-ray.?

I have priced all the components up and the cost is around £1250 give or take. Which is cheaper than buying the MSI laptop. Would this build kick the ass of the MSI.

Also i thought of adding a Western Digital Velociraptor 150gb hdd to install the OS onto and maybe downgrade from the 1TB hdd to a 500gb unit.

I have never built a pc before so would the list of components make a decent setup.?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would anyone choose anything different.

Thanks
    Dale.

Edit. What a c**k, i can't even spell newbie.!
    Forgot to ask, has anyone got a copy of issue 73 kicking around that they could sell me. I have called the subscription line to order a back issue, but the girl on the phone say they have stopped doing back issue's of custom pc.????????

Last edited: 4 Jan 2010
  2. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Im guessing you want to use the issue 73 to help build it? I have this issue but I am sorry I will need to keep it for future builds :)
    The components look fine, where would you be purchasing them from?
    Don't take my word for it but wouldn't a 5870 be a little better?
    How much Ram, I would recommend 6gb.
    Stick with the 1tb as you may need it in the future and, well its not much more than a 500gb :p
    If you want I can scan the buildadvice pages from the issue and pm them to you :p
    Good Luck

Edit: The desktop would eat the MSI for breakfast..No question

3. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Make sure your PSU is a modular one (not sure if the one you picked is) you don't want excess cables all over the place.

Also i would get 2 hdd's something to boot on and something for storage, makes things alot easier when reinstalling etc, also if you just have a 1tb drive for storage it wont be used as much (hopefully) lasting longer. Thinking about it, 1tb worth of data is alot to lost, why not buy a second external one for back ups:)

Everything else looks good, not a massive fan of the case but thats personally preference:)

Good luck, hope i've helped:thumb:

4. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guy's. I was beginning to think noone would reply, as in my last thread about the laptop.:worried:

Mystiik, sorry i forgot to state how much ram, 3x2gb sticks. Yes the 5870 is a little better, it's about £100 more expensive though, what started as a £800 budget has quietly risen to £1250. I have got my prices from Scan and E-buyer. I have'nt looked anywhere else for prices yet. Though i will be doing tonight.
    Yes i was wanting issue 73 for walk through of the build. I would have thought once you had built two or three systems that you would'nt need the guide anymore.? Thanks i will send my address for the mag.:naughty:

GingerFox, yes i had thought of using a seperate hdd to boot on. I asked in my first post if i would be better with the WD Velociraptor 150gb to boot on. To be honest i think the 1tb hdd is overkill, as i will never use the full capacity. I may go for two 250gb hdd's to use for storage. As i say i have'nt built a system before so i will take all advice on board. I would like to use a more sleek case as well, it's just the 900 2 got really good review. Do you have any suggestion's for a different case.

Yes you have both helped and i appreciate it.

Thanks.:thumb:

P.s i'm unsure as to whether the PSU is modular, but i had looked at an Enermax modular psu as well.

I have edited again because i know it's frowned upon to keep adding new post's.
    I had previously specced a system on cyberpowersystems and chose this case because i like the sleek design. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129986

But i know looks are'nt everything when it comes to choosing a case. The dimensions are slightly bigger than the Antec. Does anyone have this case and what's it like for cooling.
    Thanks.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2010
  5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Modular power supplies are not important, actually there not there great as the connectors are another stage the current has to pass, so not as efficient as if it was a direct cable. not talking huge amounts of difference.

Personally everything in that list is fine, i would keep the Samsung F3 1TB, you may not fill it but its fast and keeping free space on the drive helps maintain its speed.

if your worried about just having one drive, then partition it into multiple drives say 250Gb boot and 750Gb storage, that way if the windows install goes tits up then you haven't lost your data. If the drive dies then i would be amazed, HDD's die in the first day or last years, they don't randomly die two weeks in.

6. GingerFox

Coupld of thoughts, you never think you will fill the HDD space, but if your anything near a heavy user (the fact that you want to build your own system suggests you are) then you probably will.

If you can afford it then i don't see why not to get the Velociraptor (unless someone knows something i don't)

I can give you two recomendations (both are what i use:p)

One is the haff 922, im almost in love with it...well not quite its just a computer case, but it has great cooling, quite quiet and great cable management. ( i got the version with the window instead of side grill, got mine off ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179990

And the OCZ modXstream 700w modular power supply http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=32424&category_id=263&manufacturer_id=0

Anything else do say:)

7. GingerFox

I respectfully dissagree, well if you want a neater case i dissagree anyway. Otherwise there not important, but i likes mine:)

8. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Thank you

I have just re-read the component price list i made. I did'nt price the Be Quiet psu after all. I priced for this Enermax, 91% efficient;
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W...I-E-6plus2P-12xSATA-6x12V-70A-PeakPower-1020W

I have looked at the the one you suggested GingerFox and it's a bargain and very efficient. I think i'll go with that one :thumb:.

I have looked at the case you recommended, it's not really my taste, what do you think of the NZXT Lexa in the link. I'm more into this type of look, smooth lines etc.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2010
  9. GingerFox

Good stuff:) And that case looks good, not my taste haha but got all the right stuff, i would make sure you buy a front cooling fan for it though as its optional, will keep your hard drives cool:) God yeah that other PSU is very pricey!

10. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Yes it is a bit pricey that psu. Your link was the OCZ psu was the deal clincher., cheers. Do you buy all your components off of the internet, or is there a local store around Pontefract that i don't know about.?

Look's like i better get ordering some components ready for the build. I'm really looking forward to the build, it must be really satisfying knowing that you have built your own system.

Thanks everyone for the advice, keep it coming, you can never have too much good advice.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

modular cables has nothing to do with cable management, routing them is exactly the same process of management.

12. GingerFox

Yeah, but less cables to route, the easier the proccess?:p

13. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Like i say i'm new to the self build route. So i'm all ears.

Different people have different ways of building their own systems.

What power supply would you recommend Burnout21, also what would be a good 120mm case fan for the front of the case i chose. There's an Antec 120mm fan on ebuyer for around a tenner. With Antec being a well known brand will this suffice.?

Thanks in advance.

14. GingerFox

Nah i get all mine off the interwebs, i only once ventured into a pc shop and that was when i was building a pc that i had sold to someone on ebay, only to find i was an adaptor short and i couldn't wait for one to be posted. :L I think its generally cheaper online.

And i know its cheeky but feel like splashing some rep my way?:p I don't have alot:( haha

EDIT: they seem to be talking about 120mm fans here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=180815

15. Rouler

Rouler What's a Dremel?

Sorted mate;)

I was just about to scan through the threads looking for fan's. That'l do nicely.

Cheers.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Antec just re-brand fans iirc. For me i would go for some of these, and find a fan controller to provide them with 7 volts to slow them down for silence.

Fans should be cheap and simple, fancy lights are for children.

As for power supply the beQuiet brand have come into there own with quality products, but i would go for a Corsair TX 650W, its total overkill as you would really only need about 500W for that spec, but no harm in having some overhead for future crossfire potentially although crossfire as with all multi card graphics setups it a waste of money, a single fast card will always be enough unless you're gaming on a 30in dell! lol!

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

They'd make a very respectable PC. I personally would get a Corsair HX650W for that kind of price point; I've got an 850W Corsair and it's rock solid. Regarding the Velociraptor, I actually wouldn't bother. Save the money, or get an SSD. They're not different enough in price for the vastly slower Raptor to make sense. Regarding the optical drive, I actually wouldn't bother buying a Blu-Ray drive unless you have no other player connected to a TV. The writers definitely aren't worth it; even if you're pirating like a maniac, the writable discs are so expensive it's cheaper to buy more HDDs to keep the films on.

At any rate, yes, the MSI would be unable to sit down for literally weeks having had it's arse kicked by this desktop. If you have any questions about the build, just ask! :thumb:

18. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Not only is that sensible advice it also made me chuckle.

The Corsair HX650 that Burnout and PureSilver suggested is a good solid PSU.

Another couple of options are the Seasonic X-650, which is an absolutely superb PSU but a bit on the pricey side, or the Enermax LibertyEco 620W.

19. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

for the case: p183 silent pc review i have the p182 and i absolutely love it.

as for the fans; i don't think spending a little bit more is a bad thing. you get the quality you pay for.

power supplies; modular or not, it's your own preference

the hdd's: go get the samsung F3 1TB. it's not that pricey and even if you're not a power user, it's nice to have the wiggling (jumping, dancing, running) room. if it's in your budget, a SSD is a nice idea too.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

paying more for a fan isn't guaranteed quality, a lot of is it just branding you're paying for.