1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Interceptor Update!!

This looks very cool! I love the new ship style (Cylons - wooo!) and the crystals look lovely, I do like a bit of purple!

Capital Ship Battles and Improved Combat have me interested and yet scared :hehe:

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Loving the looks of that. Always up for new ship types, I mainly use fighters (like most people) due to the speed and handling bonus over other types, but these look promising.

New shiny jetpack as well is always welcome, another one to add to the collection...

And big ship go boom!! If that is going to be an ongoing risk then I shall be getting a few more combat frigates added to the fleet as well as looking into putting together a bit of a better set of wingmen.

Hex likes this.
  3. Hex

Seems like (for now at least) it's only the Sentinel Capital Ships that can be destroyed - so we're safe... at the moment! :hehe:

@Mister_Tad Looks like this update has some new VR improvements too!

4. Almightyrastus

But but but... my freighter is....

[​IMG]

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Hex likes this.
  5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I know nothing about NMS, but those look suspiciously like gun ports on your space truck.

Almightyrastus and loftie like this.
  6. Almightyrastus

That is the same model that is used for the big Sentinel capitol ships. They kind of work like the game's police with a very GTA style wanted level going on.

I have just been on trying to find out how to get the new class of ships and it turns out that you need to get into some fights with a planet's sentinels, especially on a corrupted planet. All well and good, but what happens if you are playing on Creative mode? No sentinels to fight... Hopefully it'll be like the hardframe mech where something does get added to get around that problem.

/*edit*/ So I have just been on again and managed to find a planet that should have the new spicy sentinels, as in a planet in a dissonant system that has gravitino balls on it. But as I am playing on a Creative save, I never have to deal with any Sentinels so none spawn no matter how many of the shiny balls I pick up. Now you need to kill off a full wave of them to get the location of one of the new ships, or you can head into space with a wanted level and go through blowing up one of their capitol ships, but I don't get a wanted level either.

With the previous sentinels update they later added a feature where after a sentinel attack event at your settlement (which gets resolved immediately on occurring under creative mode), one of the items that you needed to start the new content quests spawned. I am hoping that something like that happens this time.

Now I know that I could use the custom mode changes to enable sentinels, but I am really not setup for combat at all. Might have to give it a go.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2023
  7. Hex

Almightyrastus likes this.
  8. Almightyrastus

Yeah, nice surprise with this update just popping up like that. Looks to have some good bits in it, looking forward to doing a few trench runs, although that might be tricky with how fast my ship is, I tend to rely on speed to not get hit and my boosting speed is bordering on ludicrous speed.

Having the usual trouble with getting the Twtich drops though, sit and watch or have a stream on in the background and the progress meters just do not change. Takes me an hour to get the 15 min drop. Might have to use a save editor and just drop them into my account if it carries on messing me around.

Hex likes this.
  9. Hex

That's a bit odd. You don't mute the streams or have the tab in the background at all do you? Often Twitch doesn't count you as a viewer if you do that. Apparently, some ad-blockers stop it working too.

I'll hopefully get it downloaded at some point this week (slow Internet), so I can finally meet the new robot dudes. They look neat, I like them!

10. Almightyrastus

Yeah, it is probably that. I do run a pretty hefty suite of ad blockers and have the streams running in the background whilst I sort some other bits and pieces out.

It never used to be a problem, certainly not for the first 3 or 4 drops sessions, got all of them through no worries at all. This time around and the previous ones I keep having to refresh the stream and my drops page and I get a couple of minutes logged as watched and then it just sits there at the same percentage. There are some nice drops this time around, but not really anything that I have not got already in some form or other.

I shall be jumping on over the weekend and taking a look at what's in there. The files for the next expedition have been sent out as well from what I have heard, but that has not been activated yet.

Hex likes this.
  11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I really want to put some more time into this, but I just get so overwhelmed, I look at a few guides on the net and that sometimes helps and sometimes just makes things worse. :D then I end up wandering around not really accomplishing anything or progressing.
    Nearly all my twitch rewards are still unclaimed as I don't know whether I should have them all in one save, or spread them out or what. Suppose they all want to be in one save as I don't fancy starting over and over.

Can anyone also tell me what I'm doing wrong with space combat, I seem to spend more time turning to try and face the ship I need to shoot at than actually shooting, once I do have the ship in my crosshairs I get about 2 seconds of shooting before it's zoomed past me and I'm turning again.

12. Almightyrastus

For ship combat you can hold s (assuming that you are on PC here) and it should lock onto the target, match speed and allow you to fire when you next have them in your sights. The guns on my ship are quite honestly overpowered due to the way that i have my mods and upgrades laid out and I can rip through a squadron of 5 pirates in about 20 to 30 seconds.

The Twitch and Expedition rewards are set to your account so they will be available once on each save that you load in with. You don't have to ration them out over your saves. They are great for a bit of fun and to add a ship in that you either really like the look of or need at that moment, as in the first time that you get to the anomaly.

As for what to do, once you have progressed through the main story (which has just been extended and tweaked), it really becomes up to you what you do, there are a lot of guild missions to do and build your standing with them, same for the factions. Then there is badge collecting, a lot of which you will do as you progress through other stuff. It's just a matter of picking a target that you want to get to, for me it is making the fastest and best handling ship that I can, so I spend much of my playing time searching out for high economically rated systems and finding out what upgrades they have.

Hex and Cerberus90 like this.
  13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Ah great, I'll try that next time. I got reasonably proficient at combat in Elite which made it even more annoying in NMS when I couldn't hit squat, :D

Is it best to work through the main story before going "off piste"? I've got to the anomaly but haven't progressed any of the storylines any further yet.

14. Almightyrastus

The main story with Artemis and the guys in the anomaly is pretty good, well worth doing. You don't need to have particularly high level gear to do it, it's more about following the path and finding out what happened with Artemis. The story has recently, as in the last update, been expanded on so there should be a bit more to do. I need to get back on and have a play around with that stuff.

Once you have been through all that, you should be pretty well sorted for average gear and upgrades and then you can go off and get yourself into things like the settlements, the corrupted sentinels and the pretty cool loot from them such as the new mech upgrades and multitools. Those tools are well worth working out if you are into the ground combat side of things, they can be made ridiculously powerful for combat with a few s or x class upgrades. Same with the new Sentinel class of ships.

Certainly keep your eyes open for any expeditions that start up as well. They have re run some of the older ones and the loot for them is pretty good, especially the speeder ship, by far my favourite at the moment, even more so than the Sentinel ones with their funky animations.

Cerberus90 likes this.
  15. Hex

Generally at the end of the year, over Christmas, they re-do shorter versions of the Expeditions that only have a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months to complete them. They normally only take about 5hrs or so. I wasn't able to do the last Expedition so I guess I'll be doing it on Xbox and PC over Christmas!

The latest Expedition just started!

https://www.nomanssky.com/2023/08/expedition-eleven-voyagers/

Apparently, this Expedition is a "relaxing journey"...

16. Almightyrastus

This is a good thing. Some of the expeditions have been a bit of a slog, especially the one where you couldn't leave the starting planet until right near the end, I had to turn off multiplayer on that one as some muppet had built a base right on top of my ship. I couldn't select it to get in. I shall see if I can get through it over the weekend.

Hex likes this.
  17. Hex

Yeah, I pretty much always turn off mp for Expeditions now. Which is a shame. You can always report bases and they immediately vanish just for you.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Hex

I finished the Expedition today, it was a weird one. If you take your time it's pretty chill. I highly recommend checking what all the rewards and phases are first so you can get them in a good order as you go. I didn't this time and it screwed me over a bit :hehe:

Trying to complete this one quickly was apparently really frustrating and boring. So definitely a more relaxed just try and do it as you go thing.

19. Almightyrastus

Yeah, I went through this one pretty quickly. Went pretty smoothly too, they are definitely learning what works yet still manages to remain different. A couple of the early ones were a chore, but these later ones have been great.

20. Hex

I just really wish I'd scanned the exotic animals every time I went through an Outlaw system. I ended up using co-ordinates to get that one done as it was my last remaining one.