1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No Starcraft II this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Jun 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

I disagree with this statement

"Let's just hope that it doesn't end up like other projects under the 'when it's done' design philosophy, which often never materialise on the market or which fail to live up to the massive hype surrounding them."

iD software goes by that standard and they always release, Even if the game is all tech'd out, or not.

For example ET:QW is on a 'When it's done' and its a very wanted game at the moment.

Anyway back to starcraft II looks great , loved the first 1 , never played the expansion so cant wait for this 1

3. CardJoe

Speaking of QW, stay tuned for our hands on preview and interview with the designers later this week. Got some very interesting stuff in there ;)

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

5. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

well there's two ways of looking at it IMO.

pessimistic way: Blizzard has a hugh cash cow with WoW. You know they're racking in the dough with that game, especially after BC came out. They're going to milk that cow until it goes sour. And they're going to try to keep as much attention on it as possible. A release while WoW is still steaming along is unlikely.

somewhat optimistic way: Blizzard has a huge cash cow with WoW. The problem is, they have no diversity in their product line like other large software companies do ie: ubisoft, atari, EA. They need to cash in on the popularity of SC2 now so when WoW dies off, they have another strong source of revenue to keep them going while they finish development of WoSC or some new series.

I'm leaning towards the second, mainly because it's a good business practice not to put all your eggs in one basket. Plus they need something they can put out there and not have to support with the intensity of an MMO.

I say release time Q3-4, 2008 (US)

6. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who didn't expect to see SC2 being released this year? :worried:

7. Hells_Bliss

nope, this was the first announcement of it. Blizzard always takes time after their first announcement. They haven't even started promotions or battle.net beta testing yet...at least not to my knowledge

8. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

It'll be the only game I buy in the coming years.

I just hope they don't ask for a monthly payment for service like WoW... I'd play the single player missions and perhaps LAN party type games. But never get a service.

I also hope if they do something like Steam it's not crap. Steam sucked when it first came out, still sorta does. But it's free.

9. Hells_Bliss

they have battle.net that's a free service still like it was with D2 and SC etc.

10. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

As much as I love starcraft I am not sure if I will be spending my money on Starcraft 2. I am sure the gameplay will be pretty amazing but from looking at the screenshots it really seems this is more like Warcraft 3.5 Starcraft edition. Which visually isn't that great in comparison to titles such as C&C3, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, and Company of Heroes.

Though only time will tell, as they could decide to change everything.

11. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I dont know if its just me but i find that i disagree with almost all your game reviews.

Battlefield 2142 is a good game. Iv played battlefield 2 and then i switched over to 2142 and i found 2142 has its own unique feel - I absolutely dont think its bf2 with just a mod on it - the feel is completely different.

I also think battlefield 2142 is a very good game. When im bored on the weekends and i want some quick action, i put in the cd and play a few rounds. I enjoy the teamwork side, especially more so since im in a clan and i think it is reasonably well balanced.

Warcraft 3 + TFT was an amazing game. Starcraft 2 will be an instant success, i guaruntee it. I recall having a conversation with people when World of warcraft was announced and people were moaning about the online fee's associated with it, i told them despite the fee it will be an instant success: Blizzards reputation is unlike any other companys and its for this reason alone they are possibly the best games company out there on value and quality.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I saw a video of actual StarCraft 2 game play presented by Blizzard. And it's different from WCIII. It very close to SC.

Here is the video in question (30min of 100% game play):
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/vids_1.html
    (First video)

So do you still worry? :)

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

[request for deletion]
    NO, NOT me! I meant this post.

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i'm with Solidus.. it'll be a success by all accounts. It doesnt really matter if it's not coming out this year.. as i still need to upgrade my PC before that happens :)

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

It's on the SC2 website in Hi-res :p

Gamestop has it marked for an October 08 release

16. CardJoe

I've not reviewed any of those games solidius...

17. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I think he's referring to the games which you linked to as failing to live up to the 'massive hype'.

Anyway, I speculated based on what I'd seen of the game that it did actually look fairly far along and perhaps they would be aiming for a christmas release. Obviously wrong ;)

But not uset, I'm mainly looking forward to spore :D. But one thing - 'years away' sounds ominous...

18. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

This definitely sounds like the statement of guys really comitted doing their work and seeing their task will be completed. I think we can trust there will be a Starcraft II.

Tags: Add Tags