1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia’s GTX970 has a rather serious memory allocation bug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lancer778544, 23 Jan 2015.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

To be fair to the majority of members involved, I'd say the flaming has been minimal on here compared to the vast majority of other sites.

Sometimes a bit of light-hearted humour or analysis can be construed as a dig or insult in the heat of the moment. Usually people spot it, sometimes they don't. But it's nothing to get emotional about particularly as you can now RMA your very fast graphics cards for even faster ones.

FWIW I sincerely hope that the new influx of 980 owners will come and post in my much maligned and neglected 980 owners thread now:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=279327

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Earlier on in this thread people who didn't have the card were told off for sticking their nose in where it wasn't wanted, and now people who do have the card can't comment because they are biased?

Dun mayk cence :confused:

I stand by my statement though. Way back in 2012 I wrote this huge post on SLI Microstutter. The 4xx series was terrible for it, it’s been steadily improved in the following generations but it’s still not a perfect technology.

Comparing the 980 and 970 isn't a good way of measuring the effect of this 0.5GB of vRAM - it could be just about any of the differences between the two cards causing the microstutter you are seeing.

Venders accepting returns is really just about them caving to a vocal minority putting pressure on them to do so, rather than anything else. Overclockers even said "please bear in mind as 970 is the card everyone was raving about only a week ago, nothing has changed, it is still the same awesome product it was previously and still is. But if you are truly unhappy then please contact OcUK returns in regards to your 970 purchase (all brands)."

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I tend to agree with Glenn, this is pointless and souring relationships. I believe based on first hand experience and some very good testing (PC Perpective) that this undisclosed thing with the memory (undisclosed for whatever reason) does affect a niche amount of users, particularly those with multiple cards, of which I am one. Scan acknowledge this as the case, which is handy as that's who I bought from.

This does not detract from the fact the 970 is a great and very reasonably priced card, I still like Nvidia, AMD or any other company that releases awesome hardware, and would likely buy a 970 again if I were using one card for 1080p or whatever. Namaste :thumb:

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Internet hug? :hehe:

N17 dizzi likes this.
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What is this forum for, if not for pointless bickering about trivial aspects of technology? Are we geeks or are we geeks? :p

Of course people make an emotional investment in something they pay several hundred quid for, and perhaps sometimes I need to remember that. It's more important to be happy than to be right. So may the FPS be always in your favor --whatever your choice of GPU. :)

N17 dizzi likes this.
  7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

A fairytale ending :blush:

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think there should be a massive Nvidia’s GTX970 has a rather serious memory allocation bug hug at some appointed hour and then the thread should be closed.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

carry on talking rubbish

the GTX 970 plays games at 4k quite well - outside of twitch kills in FPS , its plays CIV , wow , sc2 - all at 60fps.

This is a family forum. Please rein it in. Ta
    (Also, the thread was looking just a touch more harmonious before that...)

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Feb 2015
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

...and the moment is gone. :p

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It certainly looks like it.

Very well I will virtually hug you all.

Feel the love.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hahaha I just edited the language and thought exactly that - moment = gone ;)

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'll look into that... cheers. Still not entirely convinced I should get rid of the 970... will ponder this weekend.

Just to check.. the RMA was with Scan, yes?... not the card manufacturer.

I'm sure you will. I didn't post it to say a 970 sli set up is better... but rather better than you'd imagine. I wouldn't expect a 980 sli set up to be anything other than faster. It woudl appear that a 970 sli set up is more than capable with 4k though, and if it wasn't for the potential of other issues, I'd probably be more than happy.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Still feeling the love. Hugs all round :)

[​IMG]

Direct with Scan, they issue the refund. I can see your dilemma, not sure what the cutoff is for EVGA. I would likely keep it in your shoes, its still best bang for buck.

Dabs £40 off, plus a further £30 knocked off for a problem that occurred during delivery.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If vendors are taking returns I wonder if there will be deals to be had with B-grade stock for sale.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I offer to buy one of your 980 for £40+20 off, so that you make a tenner :thumb: This is the deal I would have had if I gone for the 980 during Black Friday.

I'm more than happy to give you money, used graphics card is still pretty much brand new.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

sorry was just a little annoyed

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Heh, thank you for your offer, but no. I have registered them with EVGA for the extra warranty. Who knows, the 980 ti may get released in time and I can step up! Very happy with them either way :thumb:

20. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Depends on if the manufacturers / nivdia will be offering credits down the supply chain or expecting the cards back themselves.

Im hoping the former too as well im tight and my gaming needs peaks at 2048 x 1152 in wow.