1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 Founders Edition Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Sep 2018.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I guess having a die with the footprint of a small holiday home nvidia thought that it might get a bit toastier than usual, especially with the pre-applied overclock.

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

Thanks LennyRhys...does it ultimately matter which version you buy then? I have a decent airflow system. Big ish case.

I'd favour quiet over bleeding edge performance.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There can be a substantial differences in cooling performance between the various cooler designs, so yes... unfortunately there is currently a lack of reviews for the various cooler designs from Asus, MSI etc.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If you want a quiet cooler, you're best waiting to see what the board partners come up with. I had three 980Tis and I ended up getting a Raijintek Morpheus because I was fed up with so-called "quiet" coolers not being quiet at all (particularly the ASUS Strix cooler, which was awful). The Palit Super Jetstream cooler was very impressive, but I'm not sure how good it was on 10XX series Nvidia cards as the design was revamped.

As Anfield says you'll need to wait for reviews if you want the quietest of the bunch.

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Blowers are good for Sli as you can jam multiple cards into a case and they don't overheat. I think the change is mostly to do with the decline of SLi. Remember the FE design is essentially dictated by PC makers (Dell, etc) as that's who the FE is for. They've obviously asked for the change as they no longer care about SLi as much and want a card that's more like all the other after market cards.

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Well I've been waiting an waiting for something to come along, blow my socks off and get me upgrading again.

After all this time, this is all they can come up with. Granted it's quicker, but my watercooled 1080ti does everything I need right now, this has nothing that screams "buy me!". For me, this is also the first generation of cards in a long time that I will pass.

This ray tracing etc all sounds great but who knows if it will actually perform as they say in the long run and if it will even be implemented like they hope. They promised so much with G-Sync (and when it works it is great) but there are still several issues with it. They've had long enough to work on it but even on their own driver forum they just ignore every question about it. I honestly think they have given up supporting it - don't even get me started on SLI - the amount of money I spent trying to get that to work along with Nvidia Surround multi screen setups. Great ideas and then zero backup. I'll believe all this RT hype when I see it as mainstream and everyone is on the bandwagon.

The price they are charging for this is bonkers. I've been known to spend daft money on new tech over the years (I dread to think how much), but when I did, I always new what I was going to get. With this you are getting a good graphics card and a large amount of promise.

It all sounds like an offer my favourite football club made; they asked us to pay in advance for two or three years of season tickets so that they could spend the money on better players / wage etc and get us into the Premiership. Loads of people blindly took the hype and handed over their money. Yes they got to see the team play football for 3 years but the promised land of the Premiership never happend and a lot of people who would never have bought the season tickets normally got very angry - 6 years on we are no closer to being promoted.

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I think the general consensus of opinion of 1080Ti owners (which incidentally is Nvidia's target audience), is for the better part (there might be a few exceptions) it's a pass on 1st Gen RTX - add The Orange Man's trade war with China into the equation and prices set to take another hike into the stratosphere...

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Gee... thank Ob- ..

Trump!

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I love how the 2080ti pricing was justified at release, because Nvidia had apparently moved it up to the Titan position within the product stack.

Now there will be a RTX Titan.... oh ffs.

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'd heard that said, but when the ti is cut down and there's still a full fat chip out there, there's gonna be a Titan. Because money.

xaser04 and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I think the telltale giveaway was the fact Nvidia released both the 2080 and the Ti together (as opposed to the 2070 and 2080 at launch) - irrespective of their marketing bullsh*t, even after the Ti launched I pretty much assumed they would be launching a Titan.

I wonder if it has Space Invaders pre-installed like some of the other 2xxx series cards...???

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Oh I know :)

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

With the Titan V the 'GeForce' moniker was omitted, same here. Titan is now it's own separate line (along with GeForce, Quadro, Tesla) with the 2080Ti being the 'new Titan' product. For optics it would probably have been better to call the 2080 the 2080Ti and think up some new moniker for the range-topper card (the GeForce Gargant has a nice ring to it).

Tags: Add Tags