1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows **** off EA

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 29 Mar 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sat down this morning with my nice new copy of C&C3, installed it, attempted to boot it up.

"Conflict with emulation software detected"

**** you EA, **** you. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't install on my PC? "Oh noes he has deamon tools, he might be pirating our precious games, even though the disk is in the drive, wah wah wah wah wah!"

As you might be able to tell I'm slightly annoyed.

2. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

That's pretty bad. Not sure i'll bother to buy it now!

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Pretty shanty considering that a crack was out on the webs a day before the game was even released.

...and a patch was released a day AFTER.... to which a respondatory crack was produced some 6 hours later.

4. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

that's pants !

5. quack

quack Minimodder

I really hate those warnings too. There are perfectly legitimate and legal reasons why someone might have Daemon Tools installed.

6. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I've never been a huge fan of EA. They really don't seem to care about their consumers

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I wonder when these idiot developers/publishers will realise that whatever copy protection you try to implement, people who want to pirate it will find a way around it. I wish more companies would be like Stardock and not put on any copy protection, hell, you don't even need the CD for GalCiv II. The only thing this copy protection crap does is annoy the hell out of the customers who actually bought the game.

8. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Could try a drive hider like YASU or similar, not that you should need it to play legally purchased games. Copyright protection is getting a bit silly isn't it?

9. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Can anyone think of a GOOD way to enforce validity?

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This isnt promising, I pre-ordered my copy ages ago and play.com have only dispatched it today :waah:

Sam

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I have both C&C 3 Kane Edition and deamon tools installed, and C&C started up with no troubles :D I already love the scrin, much more interesting than NOD.

Sam

12. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

The only half-reliable way that doesn't muck users around too much is the likes of Steam.
    Even then, if their auth servers go down or you don't have internet, you're stuffed.

Copy protection on games is like DRM on music, its never gonna work, especially when it gets to the point that its easier, more reliable and less troublesome to download a copy than to buy one.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

steam is a good idea but is gay due to the net install issuse.

EA are also annoying as BF2 in single player 'you' have to play online to unlock everything!

the games industry is just gay!

14. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Simple: put the game on a USB stick rather than a CD, and put a little processor on the stick. That way, when the game boots up, it asks the USB stick for authentication, and if the stick isn't present, the game won't run.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Ahh, like a dongle you mean?

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I can imagine that will be very easy to get round, much like how it's easy to get round current methods of making sure the disk is in the drive.

Would also make it horrifically expensive compared to CD/DVD media

Hmmm perhaps I've got some settings in deamon tools enabled that you havn't, I'll have to check that. Still annoying, especially as it takes ages to actually start running the game due to the copy protection software.

I've just finished the GDI campaign, was a lot of fun, started off really easy but then it started to get a lot harder towards the end. Actually had to drop it down to easy for the final few missions :blush: . I would've thought this would be the end of the tiberian series, since this seemed to be a pretty epic finale with the scrin invasion, but it looks like they've left themselves the opportunity to make a sequel if they want. I think Kane has about 7 lives left too.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2007
  17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

haha really would, seeing as CnC3 is about 8gig, assuming you could get it onto an 8gig flash drive thats at least £50 just for the distribution media :p

18. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I may be playing devils advocate here, but isn't this rather like a car thief complaining about car alarms? I freely admit to downloading games illegally and using stuff like Daemon expressly for that purpose - but I'd never bother complaining if I was caught out like this. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2007
  19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I have Daemon Tools installed and CnC 3 boots up no problem. So far I'm almost done with GDI's missions. I've just finished "that part where you use the Ion Cannon...." The Scrin are here now and these missions are pretty cool.

20. quack

quack Minimodder

mookboy, I sometimes have Daemon Tools installed so I can mount ISOs I've created myself; then I go and buy a game and it complains I have emulation software installed, so I've either got to remove Daemon Tools, or get a no-cd crack to allow the game to run with it still installed.

If you're downloading a game illegally however, it's likely to already include a crack with it, so seeing this "you have an emulator" message is quite unlikely. ;)

Tags: