1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandora

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by malcolm, 22 Jul 2004.

1. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

That is truly impressive. I love the red plexi, its not very comon and the workmanship is beautiful. I'm definitly watching this one.

2. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    I've not really liked the huge expanse of red going on, mostly because it's obvious I've been lazy and reused the pump housing rather than making a new reservoir. :p

So since the holes aren't really where they'd be best, I might make a black cover plate to go across it. It'd match the power supply housing then, and also cut out direct view of the light source. If I do that, I could wrap it around half the housing, rendering the pump inside mostly invisible.

Of course that would mean bending that piece to snuggly hug the curve of the housing... something I think might prove difficult but..

3. planki

planki ...

im impressed by your original idea and again by your skilled use for the plexi as i know from first hand experience how hard it is to manipulate and work with plexi to form it to the shapes that you want.

good luck

4. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Thank you guys, I appreciate your comments. There are no clamps on the pump because it was only sitting there whilst I decide how to tackle it. I'm thinking I'd like to find some clear tubing, and then use a little red food colouring in the water.

5. hypeXt

hypeXt What's a Dremel?

This is amazing! You have really started off well on this project. Very clean and original!

I had a quick question for you malcolm. Where did you find all this acrylic for under $20US? I ask because this is the color scheme I wish to use for my next project.

I can definately speak for everyone when I say we're looking forward to your next update!

6. Rip013212111

Rip013212111 What's a Dremel?

very cool

:thumb: very nice work.

7. camaro

camaro What's a Dremel?

i love this and iam with everyone i love the red plexi keep up the great qwork btw whens the next update

8. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I hope to have some more time this month to work on it. The acrylic comes from a place called 'mulfords plastics' here in Christchurch. I've brought enough now that one of the salesman knows me by name. I told him to look here, he thought the case with the fishtank in the side was quite trick.

9. Go4t

Go4t i

looks very nice :thumb:
    how thick is the plexi and what kind of glue do you use?

10. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I have. Thank god!

Bit-Tech had around 65+ people viewing the project logs at any time of day. It was crazy. There were a load of confused newcomers that, while fine on a little by little basis, seemed to explode onto the modding scene with little patience.*

But it's all sorted now and we have our newfound mod-dieties around to continue to impress us and keep us refreshing threads by the second. Like this guy here with the ingenious mix of colored plexi!

:rock:

*: May or may not have actually happened, I just remember being miffed :D

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I guess that means my wallet is going to have to bite the bullet soon so I can get started on my mod :) I've got great ideas for the watercooling setup but it seems like everything else is going to be kinda boring. Unless I try to fill every hole on a v2000 with a 3mm LED.

/me ponders whether golf or modding is more expensive... I know golf costs a crapload at first but modding never stops. And you don't have to pay shipping on golf. I suppose my modding ideas are the reason I've been golfing all of twice this summer

I just can't stop being amazed by that acrylic work though. I mean my god, it's perfect (aside from that drilling error with the aq.II pump fittings) I couldn't make a back plate that would even line up moderately well if I used one from an old case.... *sigh*

12. Xenocide

Xenocide What's a Dremel?

Incredable!

Amazing workmanship and looks the dog's dinner

Love it, keep up the good work my man

13. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

The glue I used is IPS Weld-on #16 cement. Any areas that are visible though, you can use an ether base product.

I don't think modding is more expensive than golf, unless of course you want it to be. This entire case will owe me less than US$50 (sans hardware of course). Don't think that you couldn't make something similar, the hardest part is measuring everything up :)

If I had a V2000, I would probably cut an enitre corner of the case out, and integrate a 3-4" alloy tube that runs the entire height of the case. Cap it both ends, weld it to the case, have the case reanodized. Make an acrylic reservoir that'll fit inside the tube, cut some/a window(s) in the alloy tube, then insert it up the centre... Of course that would be the best part of US$200 :)

14. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Looking nice :) Will watch this one.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well see, I'm including the expense of the case, misc hardware (LCDs most notably, but cathodes can get expensive, basically anything non essential for the computer to run, watercooling fits in there), dremel bits and tools. Of course in your case (no pun intended) you can take out the initial case cost :) And I'm talking long-run as well, you only buy golf clubs once :rock:

16. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

Awsome work man keep the work up.

17. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

This thing attracts dust like the plague.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All I've done is glue up the psu unit, fit it, and fit the fan mount. I've done a little more planning on the watercooling, I'll need to remake the left wall so that the tubing runs close to the front of the case (mostly to clear the AGP slot if I ever need it).

I'm planning a matching external DVD drive, mouse and keyboard, so I might order all that plexi (about US$10 worth) sometime soon. Also plan to tart that fan up a little.

Oh, and may have drilled through the motherboard... as the motherboard isn't removable, that'll be a fatal mistake :D

18. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I wish I'd painted that PSU black.. unfortunately it's part of the PC now :D

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Great tidy mod mate.. good job/work

20. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

you using lightbulbs ?!

whats happens when they all blow between the plexi ? :D