1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandora

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by malcolm, 22 Jul 2004.

1. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

Me like the red. aaaah.
    No realy i like the red color. nice work with the plexi.

2. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Wow, July and nothings happened.

I managed to rip a small SMD cap off of the bottom at some state, price paid for such a tight squeeze. The new motherboard and a video card will arrive tomorrow though. I've finished my degree, and have a job as a .net software developer which starts next week, so I have to pull finger.

I'm going to replace the chipset hsf on the new board with a Zalman passive heatsink, but I'm after an opinion on whether it'll overheat or not. I'm assuming it won't if I'm not using the onboard video (it says on the Zalman box not to use them with chipsets that have onboard video). I could of course just attach the fan, and run it slow. Could I use this technique http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12/10/adding_fan_speed_control/1.html if I'm plugging the fan into the motherboard header still?

Also, the 80mm fan for the radiator is plugged into a motherboard header, could I use that technique there also? In theory the resistor will limit the current pulled from the board, so I'll be using less than if I hadn't used a resistor... so I should be sweet as?

Not much else is new, hopefully I have it finished ASAP though.

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Looking stunning! Really stunning! Fantastic work!
    Keep it up!
    L

4. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Well, New Zealand isn't totally backwards when it comes to technology... but I can't find a socket A matx board with the same 20pin connector placement anywhere in this country :( The connector placement is critical due to the tight nature of this rig.

However! I did get a friend from Tait Electronics to solder another cap on. The job is perfect, if I didn't know it was C414 then I would never know which one it was. Amazing job really, I won't even bother posting a pic because there literally is nothing to see!

Hopefully I'll put it back in on Saturday, and it'll be back to its former glory...

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice work there. I appreciate modders who have nerves to put everything in small space, even watercooling!