1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. SpyderBombz

SpyderBombz What's a Dremel?

Not that I can see. Just vague dollar to pound estimates. I'm hoping that the 1070 will be priced in a way to drive the 970 prices down.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Watching the stream Jens made a quip about it being 'specially overclockable' or similar wording. Basically I think it's binned, low leakage chips = $100 premium.

What will be super key is the availability of voltage increments, since every generation gets less and less overhead to play with.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

1070 is apparently 25% more expensive than 970 but offers 50% more performance. Looking at it right now? it looks like Nvidia are going to keep at least the 970 around for a while longer? maybe so places can shift stock. They're also apparently not ready yet, as cards won't ship for around three to four weeks for the 1080 then a month after that for the 1070.

I may actually buy a 1070 but certainly not during the summer months. I barely game at all, this is why I suffer the winters out living right on the beach :D The extra power and VRAM are certainly quite alluring though !

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i was thinking about saving up for this card with it been rumored to have HBM2 a while ago (we now know thats not for this gen but is still coming) but then thought... what do i play that needs this power? ...... homeworld, CSGO soon dark souls 3... none of the games im interested in need this kind of power, but what does now? i cant think of any game that cannot be easily max'ed with the 9xx gen cards... only reason i see to get 10x0 cards is if you got VR really.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

1080 has 1x6pin - higher TDP than a GTX 980 but that has 2 x 6pin?

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Pictures I have seen show an 8-pin connector.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I game at 4k resolution. I had 2 titan X SCs in SLI and 2 or 3 newer AAA games I played ran consistently below 60fps with full settings enabled. It was a driver/scaling limitation at times, so for 4k users this card sounds like good news. Potential for single card gaming again.

That's if the guy's claim that a 1080 is faster then SLI 980s is true. He even said at the end that a 1080 was faster than 2 x Titan X, which I find very far fetched. How can a card be half the price but yet double the performance. A 1080 cannot be 100% faster than a Titan X :)

9. Vault-Tec

It's easily done dude. I'm looking at the 1070. Faster than a Titan X with 7.5gb? VRAM. TBH that's better than the 4gb I have now.

SLi is changing too apparently. SLi HB (or high bandwidth). I will retire the Fury X to my wife's PC, move the Titan Black into the TV rig and get a 1070.

10. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm leaning towards the 1070, I'm only gaming at 1080p at the moment but with it I'll not really have any problems playing anything at 60fps all being well.

I wonder when we will start hearing UK prices & benchmarks for the 1070

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think that was for VR stuff IIRC. For normal gaming it was less.

[​IMG]

Relative performance looks like 3.6 - 4.4, so 33% faster, and we don't really have a context for that graph. If you take something like this

[​IMG]

That Gigabyte 980Ti is about 20% faster than the Titan X, which while it's obviously factory overclocked by about 20%, the NVidia performance graph could be going on the Founders Edition card which on the live stream hit ~2.1GHz, while according to NVidias website the boost clock for the 1080 is 1.7GHz. So the livestream card hit an almost 25% overclock compared to the 1080 boost clock.

Ifs buts and maybes, however until they get reviewed we just won't know. And that's assuming the review cards will be normal 1080s and not the Founder one's which are the one's shipping at the end of the month IIRC.

On a different note, I liked the photo stuff. Can't see myself ever using it, but it looked cool. The audio stuff was interesting, I wonder how it differs from something like AMDs Trueaudio, which unfortunately, didn't really seem to go anywhere.

12. Vault-Tec

haha the panic begins ! quite a few 980tis for sale atm (OCUK). People are asking stupid money for them though, trying to find a sucker I guess.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah I'm pleased I got ahead of the game. Panic rush to sell up now.

14. Vault-Tec

£440 for a 980ti my testicle sack. lmao !

I've got my plans fully in place ! my Fury Xs will go into my wife's gaming rig (8 core Ivy) and the Titan Black in there will go into the TV rig (760 Mars). I will keep the 760 as a back up card and get a nice aftermarket 1070, possibly a partner version.

Edit. LMFAO OCUK cracks me up sometimes. Some one just posted this pic of a 980ti seller right now.

[​IMG]

They're pretty cruel over there but man, the humour is hilarious :D

Last edited: 7 May 2016
  15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1080s going for 50% more than 1070s means they are weighing in on supply/demand scale: very low volume (GDDR5X supply?) + expecting faster than Polaris 10 performance so can squeeze a premium. Still not 780 launch price though, which was $50 more at $649 and same as the 980 at $599.

Given that AMD has said Polaris 10 sits BELOW Fury-range, seems a slam-dunk for NV.

16. Vault-Tec

Yeah this could be curtains for AMD ! you know what though? I couldn't give a F.

I've had so many niggles with my Fury Xs that I'm ready to open up my cheeks and go back to Nvidia.

I tell you what else too, man, I'm so Fing glad I don't *have* to sell anything to jump on these new cards. Some guy posted saying he's just bought a 980ti, he's absolutely gutted beyond belief.

Apparently a Strix was on Ebay for £350 BIN :jawdrop:

1070 all the way here, might even treat myself to a Founders card too !

17. PH0ENIX

PH0ENIX What's a Dremel?

Any gtx 1070 waterblocks around?

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Only fly in the ointment could be DirectX 12 performance. Won't take long for the reviews to hit I guess!

Holding out for whatever the GTX 1080 Ti is later in the year! :D

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

20. Vault-Tec

The cooler is absolutely disgusting. It looks like some one took the old one into Minecraft.

I don't want a blower any way. They've been slowly working harder and getting noisier since the original Titan. I will wait for a nice dual/triple fan 1070 :)