1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Planning my acrilyc case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Miku, 9 Jun 2003.

1. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

im thinkin of making a clear case in the summer, but im having trouble figuring out how to make the drive bays. How to attach them that is...:eyebrow: So I would appreciate if anyone would give me ideas or give me pics of their clear case's drive bays.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2003
  2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

3. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

did Cheese write it then? :D

4. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot, eddie_dane:lol: :thumb:

5. eddie_dane

:duh: :hehe:

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

i think he was refering the genius of him self :D

7. kong

kong cnc-guy

I've been forgotten about:waah: :waah:

Just to refresh your brains:
    [​IMG]
    I just glued it on under the reservoir! Of course, you may not have a reservoir!:wallbash:

edit: it seems the bt servers are down?!

8. eddie_dane

yes, but not on purpose :D ... I just wanted to post two examples, one glued and one bent. Sorry, but Linear's article is just easier for me to find than your cool case... besides, you've gotten enough accalades from me kong. :nono: /me fears becoming fanboy

9. kong

kong cnc-guy

Fair dooz eddie! It has been a long time though, oh well, one day I'll get back to it!

10. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

Kong, i did think of your clear case first when i started to think about the drives:p , and i read the articles eddie_dane gave me.
    Still, i came up with a more different and unusual idea. Maybe someday i'll draw a picture so you would see what i mean.

11. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

Here:[​IMG]
    See, i decided to attach the bays to the cage with screws. The bays will be a little bit bigger than normally. But i decided to make the screws go into the cage's walls(!). I think that should work:) .

12. kong

kong cnc-guy

Now you have got it sorted in your head, it is time to work out what type of adhesive you will use. It looks as though the drive cage is glued to the front of the case (yay or nay?) in which case, I would definately recommend a water-like adhesive such as Linear used, rather than a thick syrup that I used. The reason being the cleanup! It will difficult to mask the area off accurately with your design, so you will need to be careful here. I'm not telling you what to do, just to give it some thought. Hope you don't mind!:thumb:

13. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

Yes, the cage is glued to the front of the case. And it's alright since I need every help i can get:) . So, i was gonna use regular super epoxy:confused: .

14. kong

kong cnc-guy

Stupid really, but I woke up in the middle of the night (3.15 am!) and started thinking about your case:wallbash:
    TBH, if you are going to buy expensive acrylic to build your dream case, you should really get some proper acrylic adhesive. Look into the pro's and con's of each type ie. thin stuff is good as I mentioned earlier, but you will have to make accurate cuts coz it doesn't fill gaps, whereas the thicker type is way messy, but will fill gaps of upto 2mm so if your cutting is a little out, you will be ok.
    The beauty of proper acrylic cement, is because it is a slovent, it will physically weld the mating surfaces together, giving you a crystal clear joint. If you use epoxy, you will still see the glue through the case.

15. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

Wow, didn't think my case would give people such an effect:worried: .

16. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

So, i looked for other adhesives, and Tensol what you used, Kong.
    Since I live in Estonia, i don't have many places to get the stuff. ELFA's the best. But ELFA's catalouge only had epoxy and the other adhesives were the ones in the little tubes that dont glue anything:( .

17. kong

kong cnc-guy

Linear used Weld-on adhesive. Perhaps you could try to find a local acrylic fabricator who may be able to help? Or try the place that you intend to buy the acrylic from? Apart from that, I can't help!:sigh:

18. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

BAH, this is driving me mad! Guess i'll have to use epoxy then...:sigh:

Edit: The place im gonna buy the acrylic sells only plastics and no adhesives:(

19. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I didn't know where Estonia is. I had to look it up:blush: Anyhow, I just want to encourage you to try to find the solvent type adheasive also. I used the "IPS weld-on" product but there are others. Here for example. . I forget what chemical it is but perhaps you could locate it using the raw solvent.

20. kong

kong cnc-guy

Raw materials, good idea! You may be able to make an adhesive, Linear please help here! I think you can dissolve acrylic chips in the solvent, if someone knows what it is. I'll go hunting......