1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM POTM Rules

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Nath, 30 Jun 2006.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

You'd have to be rather arrogant to not want to hear other people's opinion on your photos. For me, that's the whole point of showing them to others. For what other reason, other than bigotry, would you post them on the web?

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Some people are just more sensitive to that kinda thing, or aren't prepared to join in such discussions so would rather their photos were excluded from them.

3. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Yeah, I find that CS2 'save for web' feature doesn't save EXIF data either: does it have a toggle to get it to keep the EXIF data?

I'm with Fod on this one, I actually want comments and criticisms (and I already put that on my entry too).

If someone doesn't like my composition of post-processing and slates it for being a piece of crud, then sure, i'd hate that.
    But if that person then goes on to say how he would've tried to compose the shot or post-process it and why, then sure, I can see it from his point of view and then i'd have another perspective on the shot and decide for myself whether I should've tried a different method

It's all a learning process, I want to know if i'm taking cruddy photos so that I can improve on them.

4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

This was covered a few days ago and in the end it was decided that there will be no requirement for EXIF data purely because there's no reason to demand it. If people want to cheat then it's on their own head, they're not gaining anything other than e-peen++ for (possibly) winning the competition one month. After the discussion about EXIF requirements, the rules were updated as follows.

As far as criticism is concerned, noting on entries whether criticism is appreciated is, imho, a good idea. Though bear in mind people are unlikely to absolutely rip your entry to shreds so don't be put off by the thought of people being really harsh. Constructive criticism is the way to go. :)

So to sum up, the point of the competition is to get people out there taking photographs, and improving their technique. Entering photos taken before the competition began won't help you become a better photographer so it's a bit pointless.

Thanks,
    Nath :thumb:

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

yeah, you're all right. Most people want feedback on their stuff, and those that don't are either arrogant, or just are so disinterested that you would wonder why they're posting images at all.

The thing with a Critique thread however, is that it becomes difficult to browse images because of all the comments etc. Ideally it would require a sub forum within this one, or at least a thread where people post the images, and a seperate thread for comments, just like the photo competition thread.

I like the idea of the sub forum personally - that way each image can have it's own thread. What do peopel think? It keeps the rest of the Digital Art Forum tidy, and everyone who wants to post, or comment on images, knows where to go, and where all the images are kept.

Personally I think it's a great idea, and a really good way to get some honest, and above all, constructive criticism on your work.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

hwu 3

Ideas:

• Sub-forum for monthly compo
      • Sub-forum per month or
      • Prefix entry title with YY/MM
    • Sticky for current month's theme
    • One thread per entry, with comments inside

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  7. RTT

RTT #parp

How's about a sub-forum for the monthly compo and then just a compo archive forum? :)

8. Nath

Sounds great, that way each entry can have its own thread and won't clutter up the digital art forum. :D

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Pooky, you edited my post rather than responding to it!! :eyebrow: :nono:

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Does anyone have an objection to posting photos that are not entries in the contest but are on the same subject in the entry threads so long as they are not part of the original post? I have far better architecure related images that are not from this month that I would like to post even if they cannot be entered in the contest.

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Just post them in the non-potm sub-forum, i'd sure like to see them.. i need more examples of how to best photograph traditional (i.e. non-modern) architecture. All my attemptes have been rather pathetic really..

12. Nath

Feel free to post links to them at the bottom of your entry posts, that way everyone can see what else you've been up to during the month as well as the actual entries.

Edit: Sorry didn't see J-Pepper's post at all for some reason. Details about other people's technique when photographing buildings of different types would be greatly appreciated here too, I've pretty much been relying on wandering round then snapping at anything which takes my eye. :worried:

Last edited: 14 Jul 2006
  13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

We are in the process of getting another sub-forum added for showing off pictures outside of the compo. Will be here soon. :)

14. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

YAY! :clap:

I have a few pics I'd like to show off.

15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Could people please also note that the format for the titles of your entries are [MM/YY], not [DD/MM]. This is so that they're easily identified when put into the archive.

Thanks.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

awww! i have a great idea for a picture, but i just can't get out to take it during tomorrow (today, actually... Clock is 00:00) :(

To bad i didn't discover this forum before..

Ohwell...

17. Nath

You've always got next month! :)

If you have a great idea for a photo go and take it anyway and stick it up in the digital art forum, I'm sure you'd get a lot of constructive criticism and general feedback on it. :thumb:

18. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

You still have time!

19. Nath

Indeed, the voting poll will be going up at midnight (BST) on the night of the 25th/morning of the 26th so you've still got two full days.

20. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Also.. my request for two votes per person??

Its so hard to decide. I bet I could pick three or four if given the option!
    (puwease or pretty puwease?!?!?!? :) )

Tags: