1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Alpha

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The boy 4rm oz, 13 May 2010.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the info mate. :thumb:

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

@ ulysses Cazuquel - Thank you very much my friend, I am glad you liked it. As InfernoZeus said I did explain to oldnewby about the LCD temp display. It was a spare one I had laying around from an NZXT LEXA case, unfortunately I have never seen them for sale separate of the case.

@ oldnewby - Not a problem mate.

3. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

I love those damn nzxt LCDs. Check out my log. You will notice I installed one in my HAF and a later pic shows it removed from my NZXT Guardian 921, which is a shitty case btw, don't ever get one. Thermaltake's cases feel much more solid and don't feel cheap like almost all NZXT cases do.

But that's what modding is all about. Taking your crappy, dusty and possibly cheap case and making it awesome! Like Project LEXA, which I just skimmed over the other day for quite possibly the 4th time, awesome job!

4. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks Robby. Yeah NZXT make some pretty good displays, I have never had an issue with mine in all the years I have used it.

I'm not a fan of the new NZXT cases, IMO the LEXA classic is the perfect mix of style and functionality but as a budget case running a medium system the Alpha is great as a sub $90AUD case. I have used 4 different NZXT case now and I wouldn't say they are cheap, you just get what you pay for, as you do with most other brands. I have used many different cases over many different system (including Thermaltake) and have found quality wise that they are on par with most others (of the same price). Personally Thermaltake lost me when they released the original Kandalf. My all time favorite Thermaltake case is the Tsunami Dream.

Thanks for the comment Robby :thumb:.

ModaRobby likes this.
  5. dembones

dembones What's a Dremel?

came out looking great mate, althought i do despise blue leds with a passion, it looks pretty good in your build, like ocz much?

6. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Wait, I'm not done ranting. I also can't stand those damn fans they add in the side panel windows. It kills the entire idea of having a window! The fan makes it so you almost can't see inside!

But you are right about you get what you pay for. I paid 79$ for my Guardian, my mom paid 69$ for her CM690 and her case is much better and well built IMHO. (I won that arguement btw :thumb:)

But your Alpha looks great. Nice and clean. +rep!

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
    The boy 4rm oz likes this.
  7. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I actually quite like this mod, its simple and well executed.
    The black gloss finish is very nice.
    Not the latest and greatest in hardware, but most of us cant afford or justify the costs anyway.
    One minor niggle though, you simply got to get rid of that horrible TT fan guard :D
    Thumbs up! :)

8. The boy 4rm oz

@ dembones - I am pretty much over the whole ricey neon look as well but as this is my brothers PC I let him select the case and accessories when I built it for him a few years ago. The OCZ coolers are good and the CPU cooler was the best cheapest one I could get when I was initially building the rig. As for the RAM cooler, it just looks cool and I got a 2 for 1 deal when I purchased mine for LEXA.

@ Robby - I am also not a fan of fans (pardon the pun :D) on side panels, which is why I replaced my plexi side panel on my LEXA. My brother likes it so it's here to stay, plus I didn't want to fork out more money for a sheet of plexi. And yes, you do win the argument with the CM690, one of the best budget cases going around.

@ Sheiken - Thank you for your comment. As the case is my brothers and my brother likes the grill it is here to stay. Although, I am thinking of filling the 'Tt' logo with some metal filler and repainting the grill silver :D.

BTW. This mod will be receiving an upgrade in the next few month. When I get around to disassembling my dead LEXA this build will be inheriting my Q6600 and possibly my Antec Neo HE550 and later down the track it will get an upgrade from the 8800GT to my 8800GTX. I may also install a simple water cooling loop. I will be able to transplant my Swiftech Apogee GTX, my bay res and my pump directly into this case. The only modding that is required is to drill some pass through holes for a 120mm radiator on the rear exhaust fan. I may also bling it out with some bitspower fittings and either clear or blue coolant. All in good time.