1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Cubeleon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by brinkz0r, 8 Sep 2007.

1. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

looks realy great, I wish I was as skilled as you are in metal working.
    can't wait for your next update :thumb:

2. Mr_Wongy

Mr_Wongy What's a Dremel?

excelent work, im so subscribed

3. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks a lot :) I got an email that my cnc work is done, so a new update soon. I made the program for the cnc work myself, but the teacher had no time then so he did it today. The second email said that I have won a 42" lcd tv today, so no one can mess with my mood now :D:D

4. Dark~3nergy

I didn't realy understand what your were going to get CNC'd :eyebrow:
    And grats on the Tv, what brand is it ?

Last edited: 13 Oct 2008
  5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

The front and the top will be (or are :D) cnc'd, I'll show some pictures soon ;) The TV is an LG 42LG7000, but that may be a model number for the Netherlands.

6. Dark~3nergy

ok, can't wait to see what they look like !
    and a fullHD TV :clap:

7. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 22

A few weeks later, after winning a 42" full HD tv, spending 12 successive days at school and hopefully (probably) earning 7 EC's for my exams, it's time for another update. Do I have to explain why I didn't do a lot of modding the past few weeks? :eyebrow:

I'm cutting the sheet of alu for the pled's and the power button, you will see both of them later on. Designing the front took a lot of work, since I don't want it to look like a smilie face with it's buttons and duo pled. This is the back of the sheet, because I forgot to take pictures of the process.

[​IMG]

As I said, planning takes up a lot of the modding time, but that makes it possible for my printer to print pages like this:

[​IMG]

It is the design for the plexi behind the aluminium front plate. Most of the plexi will be cut away though, to make room for the pled's and the power button. For the latest design of the buttons, I needed two pieces of non-transparent black plexi:

[​IMG]

They fit right in:

[​IMG]

Two little pieces of alu to bolt it all together:

[​IMG]

I present to you, the center piece of the power and reset button; a piece of square tubing, fitting perfectly inside the black plexi :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two pc buttons that I reused, had loads of them by know :p

[​IMG]

Inside the tube, there's another piece of black plexi. This is the one you have to press to turn on the pc. I still have it covered by paper tape to prevent scratches:

[​IMG]

To be able to mount the button, I soldered it to a little piece of circuit board, that I will glue to the square tubing later. I made a connector on the switch to be able to remove the front of the case once in a while.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the botton will be mounted to the rest of the plexi, and you can really see the difference between the semi transparent ACRyan black plexi en the nontransparent black plexi:

[​IMG]

The lower piece will have a button just like the upper one, which will function as a reset button:

[​IMG]

And this is how it should look like when it's finished :) I wanted as much black-alu transitions as possible to make the buttons stand out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already mentioned the two PLED displays earlier. To test them, I soldered them to two old usb cables. Now there soldered together to one cable, and they still work :)

[​IMG]

With a few M3 bolts, I was able to mount the displays to the plexi. Did anyone mention the word planning? :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It 's starting to become a cable mess already, and I even forgot that these also needed to be removable. So I soldered a piece of flatcable in between the displays and the motherboard connection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's the end of this update already :) Still no pictures of the CNC work, I wanted to clean the sheets up a little before showing them to you. I sanded one of them already, and it's looking hot :D

I'm going back to the library tomorrow to do some more studying at school, yes on a saturday :blah: But some good news also, I have five days off, starting tuesday :clap: I have to do a lot of work in those days, I guess I can get a load of things done if I even spend half of the time as I spent on studying the last few weeks :hehe:

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really do love your work. Hope you did well in your exams, mine are coming up lol.

9. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Will this be ready for TBCL?

10. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

great project!!keep going..

11. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

It just has to be, I'm not going to wait another year to enter some compo. Besides, I just want this thing finished because it has taken long enough.

12. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Well, it definitely looks like a winner. Nice work!

13. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 23

So, Koradhil already mentioned tbcl, or the Benelux Casemod League. It's a big casemod competition, and I'm planning to participate :) Ediejo is the mastermind behind this compo, and he wanted to have two pictures to represent the case for the preliminary finals. Five of the best casemods en five caseconstructions will be in the finals from 28 to 30 november. As I still have some work to do, I put my homework away and did some modding to make some nice pictures of the case in all its unfinished glory :hehe:

A little while ago, I got the top plate en front plate cnc'd, and this is how the top plate looked ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole case will be sanded, so I started sanding a test piece with 150 grit sand paper:

[​IMG]

This is the big sanding block I'm using, with a piece of a sanding belt for my belt sander:

[​IMG]

And after a little time sanding and sore arms and fingers :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better :)

[​IMG]

To complete the picture, I also sanded the aluminium plate on top of the reservoir:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been three years since I started building this case, and it was about time to mount the front plate. Being in the same state as the top plate, it also needed some sanding. I'm not done with that yet, still needs some more:

[​IMG]

I was a little late for dinner at my dads house, but at least I got some parts on the front mounted :hehe: The result can be found below, these are the two pictures I will be judged on by the judges and the forum readers. The results will be in by november 14th, we'll see ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dark~3nergy

WOW that looks incredibly nice !!!

but what are those two things ?
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you'll win that competition :thumb:
    keep up the good work !!

15. Attila

Attila still thinking....

That looks terrific!
    You say that you started with 150 grit. Did you just leave it at that to
    get the brushed finish, or did you move to a finer grit ?

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Vents turned out fantastically. Nice improv sanding block ;).

@Dark - they look like an inlet and an outlet for the res.

17. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

brushed effect is sweet, when I read 3 years, i was like WTF dedication!

18. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Looks good, Good luck on being chosen!

19. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 24

I'm using my five days off after the exams for modding. Today is day three, and I've been able to do quite some work.
    To make some room for cables and connectors and save some weight at the same time, I cut some holes in the mobo tray:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case is a whopping 250 grams lighter now, that's a start :hehe: The next boring job was some plexi polishing. First step was covering part of the attic with newspapers :p

[​IMG]

I have 7 pieces mounted on the panels, and two of them are now looking like this :)

[​IMG]

I also did some sanding to the front. It was on the backside, so no interesting pictures of that. The dust that remains when the panel was gone was way funnier ;)

[​IMG]

The planning wanted me to finish the fancontroller yesterday, but it took a little longer due to some glue issues, I hate glue :miffed:
    We'll start with a few parts that I made on the lathe, these are 10mm plexi rods:

[​IMG]

And three pieces of 20mm tube, with aluminium inserts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled :)

[​IMG]

After adding some M3 holes on the side, I was able to mount them on the fancontroller:

[​IMG]

I just needed to take a picture of this :hehe:

[​IMG]

And from a little further away, still a face :hehe:

[​IMG]

After cutting a few larger holes (I really need a step drill, cutting these holes takes too much time), the front looks like this:

[​IMG]

The fancontroller is mounted to the plexi with two M3 bolts and some spacers:

[​IMG]

Together with the reset button, what do ya think? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]