1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Damn... So many ppl to thank for the nice responce, so I shall do this in one single sitting! :lol:

Thx a lot guys, you all made it worth the while to go this far with this mod. As of now, I'm taking some days off the mod, to get the love back for it! :thumb:
    But it will be back, and I will continue this "G5 Retaliation"!

And also thanks for the birthday-messages! It was pretty cool, relaxing with family and friends, though I'm not really a fan of celebrating my B-day... :)

2. markpg28

markpg28 What's a Dremel?

Waterblocks

The waterblocks look good but wont cool any better than a good air cooler! The reasons are laminar flow & the boundary layer. When the water enters the block the water molecules will fill in all the microscopic holes in the copper surface thus creating a boundary layer. The boundary layer is a thin wall of water that won’t move & will affect cooling performance. As water is far less efficient at conducting heat than copper you need to create turbulence in the water as it flows through the block. This will eliminate the boundary layer & increase performance. You can do this by adding pins to the block base. This will not only create turbulence it will create more surface area for the water to flow over & dissipate more heat. You also need to think about how the water will exit the block. The best positioning for the outlet is in the corner. You want the water to contact as much copper as possible so it can cool to its maximum potential. You also want to reinstate laminar flow as it exits the block. The faster & smoother it can exit the block the better. This is the reason the D-Tek fusion is so efficient. Study its layout & you will know what I mean. As you used a manual mill it will be difficult to create pins so you could machine cups in the base to create turbulence or you could create jets for the water to flow through before it hits the block base. Try to position the inlet barb over the centre of the block for maximum contact with the CPU die. These are the reasons why I buy my blocks instead of making them myself. I have access to a manual Milling Machine as a friend of mine has one in his home workshop along with a lathe & many more amazing tools. I could make my own but it would take a hell of a lot designing, time, thought, testing & money. You cannot just make a block & use it, it has to be tested so tweaks & improvements can be made. I am starting a Business later in the year selling hard to find in the UK water-cooling hardware as well as building custom pcs & cases. I will also be selling custom Fan & Radiator grills cut to the customers own design. I would also like to do powder coating & custom painting but I will wait until my business is doing well so I can invest in the equipment. I might then consider making water blocks but I will be employing engineers for this. I would never consider selling a Block until it can at least equal or beat the performance of the best blocks on the market. I don’t mean to criticise your block I am just trying to help you make it better. Anyway enough said as it will probably be bed time by the time you have finished reading this post.

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

^:hehe:. And all that coming from someone with a post count of 1. ;)

I'm only pokin' fun.

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Markpg28 <-- Thx for the nice description...
    I was actually under the assumption that it had most to do with the surface inside the block...
    But when that's said, I am in no way thinking of making these for sale or anything else... But one thing is a fact...

My E6420 is stock at 2,13 Ghz, and is currently running @ 3,3 Ghz overclocked. With the OEM fan that came along with it, it ran at about 50 degress centigrade on both cores @3,3 Ghz. With the blocks I made, it is currently running @ 22 degrees centigrade on both cores, and the water temp is @ about 24 degrees.
    I doubt that a fan, even a really good one, would get those temps.
    And I would love to see you make one of those blocks on a manual mill... I made them on a cnc! ;)

5. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

So true ;) My E6420 idles @ 27°C on both cores overclocked to 3,2 Ghz cooled by a zalman 9700NT.

Lovely project you got going there btw :thumb:

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

My E6300 @ 2.4ghz gets 29C/30C cooled by the stock cooler.

Betcha Water could take it lower too.

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Very small, might even call it minute, update! :)
    So it seems I got the time, and the spark for modding, again! And even if it's a small update, it's a start! :)

I have been thinking about the side of the G5, and how it's gonna look, and now I know! You will see it in due time, but here's a sneak preview of how the led's for power and Hdd-activity will look! Right now I use the standard led for power, but that's on the front of the case, and the only thing you see on this case, is the side, hence; I will move it!
    I will also need to put the display for the watertemp in the side, and since it's black and boring, I'll reconstruct the front, to match the led-thingys! :)

The display as is/was:

[​IMG]

The Led-thingys, made of aluminum and plexi, polished: Sry, I find it hard to get a good picture! :(

[​IMG]

How they will roughly sit next to each other, I milled most of the front off the display, to make sure it will flush with the led's, when I create a aluminum frame for it:

[​IMG]

That's it for now, if nothing else happens, I'll be back tomorrow with yet an update! :)

8. ParanoidSWE

ParanoidSWE What's a Dremel?

Ohhh cant wait to see how it is going to look... Well i hope the update will come before freday af 14 o clock becouse after that time i have 8 hours of travel to get to denmark and woud be nice to see how the frame to the display will look.. :D

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dam thats alot to read.

i think you need to look at the internals of the blocks again, the water is broken up by many edges inside the block.

Angel OD, its coming together nicley, go on give us another update!

10. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm baaaaack! :)
    As promised, another update, but a small one though, didn't have much time, and things tend to take more time than you think! At least, more time than I think! :p
    And since I started out in a stupid way when making the frame for the temp display, it took about an hour to get it done! :(

But here goes:

A piece of 3mm aluminum, milled to 2mm (was to lazy to go cut some 2mm :lol:), and the sides milled to a 23 degree angle:

[​IMG]

Done, mocked up, just on the backside of the panel:

[​IMG]

One more for the road:

[​IMG]

BTW, take a look at the surface of the whole panel, I messed it up trying to polish it, so I just sandblasted the whole thing (without the frame and lip) and you see the result! Actually came out pretty well, it even looks like the frame! :thumb:

A friend is comming by for the weekend, so I dunno if I'll have the time to mill the holes for the display and the led-thingys tomorrow, and next week is vacation time! :) But time will tell when the next update will be! :)

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Check me on this? Top of the door above the latch slide pieces and display towards the front, then buttons?:confused:
    John

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

Angel, that bevel for the screen looks sooo nice. I'd love to have access to that equipment you use, but that goes without saying... Awesome! :thumb:

13. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Jhanlon303 --> I'm not sure if I understood you right M8... I'll try to go through this...
    You, of all people ;), ofcourse know how the side looks on the G5, and the pics show the inside! The stuff will be mounted on the outside, since the case is sitting "sideways" under my flatscreen... But they are not buttons, they are just a nice way to mount leds for the power, and for hdd activity! :) I hope this answered your question? If not, you will find out on next update! :)

E.E.L. Ambiense --> Thanks M8... I aim to please! :) (As I tell women... :lol: ) But you're quite right, it's pretty cool to have access to the machinery, funny I never thought of using it for modding before I stumbled over this site! :thumb:

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. It's like ignoring the pink elephant in the living-room; i.e. ignoring the obvious! :hehe:

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hmm,
    -LED plugs::thumb:
    -custom bezel::rock:
    -Sand blasting::rock::thumb: It will darken a bit over time, but I love the look of frosting the flat areas with the frame bars smooth.
    -Crazy guy post::eyebrow: Is this the guy that was scamming people claiming to sell watercooled laptops? The only thing that post lacked was a threat to sue you for using his ideas!:hehe:

This thread really does have everything now! :naughty:

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

E.E.L. Ambiense --> I know what you mean... :lol: Expecially since I've been a "nerd" the last 12-13 years...
    But on the other hand, I've had good use of knowledge/machines/ideas since I started as an aprentice in 1998! :)
    And I know a lot of ppl who've been very happy that I do what I do! ;)
    I know this is off topic, but hey! This is my thread! LOL
    Just a couple of things I saw while looking around in my appartment!:

The sofa table, I made it from a 30mm mdf, milled 4 pices of stainless steel in to it, and integrated 3 tealight holders into it... And btw, it weighs about 80 pounds! lol

[​IMG]

A pair of dices, made from aluminum with brass inserts... And yeah, they need a good polishing, they're 8 years old or something like that! :lol:

[​IMG]

I've made billions of pieces of stupid stuff... :lol:
    This also includes the audio systems in my cars! Which is probably the craziest things I've done! :rock:

Last edited: 13 Mar 2008
  17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheapskate --> LMAO!
    Watercooled laptops? Hmm... If it wasn't for the fact that my laptop is owned by my workplace, that would surely be my next project! ;)
    I just got about 1500$ back from the tax-people, but I have another mod in mind for most of that money, so no laptop in sight to be watercooled! he he...
    I know the sandblast will darken, but luckily it's on the inside of the sidepanel! I would have give it a clearcoat, if it was on the outside!
    BUT!!! Be aware! If you sandblast an area that size, and only on one side, it WILL bend the material! I'm sorry I don't have any pics of it, but I'm not kidding when I say it was about 10 mm bend, from end to center! And stainless steel is even worse! So I had to straighten it out by hand!

Btw... If he would have threatened me with a lawsuit... I would have just told him I live in a country where THAT is not possible! :lol:

18. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Outstanding work man! I really love the way this is coming together.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The G5 metal really is softer than I would have thought too. I bent both handles last night clamping them to cut! They can be bent back by hand. Pretty to look at but G5a should remain parked.

John

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

jhanlon303 --> OMG... I haven't really done anything to the metal itself, apart from cutting the plate which holds the cd-drive and Hdd's... But I didn't experience anything like that... But then again, I had it on a saw, with everything sort of clamped down, so I wouldn't get any surprises...
    I know what you mean! :lol: But a modder will never park! ;) (as we both know!) :thumb:

Tags: