1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project H2Micr0 -Design Ideas for Case - 11 March 2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BenJ, 22 Mar 2006.

1. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Gidday

This log covers my new project which I have called H2Micr0.

The following is my original work log which began in March 2006. I have been using H2Micr0 for nearly a year, but have never been satisfied with the visual impact of the finished piece. The last post has the new updates.

My current machine, which has served my well, was designed to be multipurpose. It could game, copy, rip, encode, perform office tasks as well as surf internet. Most computers can accomplish these things.

My problem is that it is difficult to encode video or music, and game at the same time. So my current rig is going to become our media box.

H2Micr0 will become my new personal rig, with more of a focus on the frivolous and fun things pc's can do.

It is based on a Micro ATX format, and will be Liquid Cooled.

Here is a link to my discussion log

Today I picked up some parts and ordered some others.

[​IMG]

The motherboard is an Asrock S939 AGP board. It was important that is was AGP as I recently purchased a BFG 7800GS video card, which is in my current pc.

[​IMG]

The ever reliable LG DVD/RW 4167B optical drive.

[​IMG]

While the case comes with its own huge 200watt PSU, I thought it might be useful to add something a bit more stable. I wanted a modular PSU and the Tagan 580 Easy Connect fit the bill. I may have to cut and shut some of the cables to make it all fit. While I like the PSU, it brings its own problems to H2Micr0.

[​IMG]

This is the 118 Mini Case, made by Chenming. Aspire have versions of this as well, but I can't source them here in Australia.

I have ordered the watercooling components.

[​IMG]

This kit is the 'Evolution One Kit' by Radiical. They are based here in Australia and have a strong following. I ordered this kit as the basis for my setup as it contains a combination of parts I was looking for.

This kit will be supplemented by the following.

[​IMG]

This is the Radiical Turbo Head. It is an addon replacement top for the Laing DDC 12 volt pump.

[​IMG]

This is a stand for the Laing DDC 12 volt pump. This adds greater versatility to the mounting options of the pump, which will be useful in this project.

[​IMG]

The reservior in the Radiical Kit won't be much use in the MATX case, so I thought the Swiftech Micro Res would be best.

And the final component is a Graphics Waterblock. You may not be aware of this, but the 7800GS, is not supported by current available GPU blocks. However, Radiical are due to release their GPU block soon, and when I can I will provide a picture.

In addition I have ordered several 3/8" fittings and an in line thermometer to measure the water temp.

I hope you all find this project log interesting. Here is a link to my discussion log

Regards
    BenJ

Last edited: 12 Apr 2007
  2. ATOG

ATOG What's a Dremel?

HI nice start of your log i will follow the progress of your log

what will you do with the case will you modd it

3. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi ATOG

To begin with I will work out all the functionality and get it all working.

Part of my plans is to cut a symbol or pattern or picture into the top of the case and depending on how the radiator mounting ends up, a window on the other side.

I should have more progress up today.

Regards
    BenJ

4. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1

Step 1

After I received the PSU, I realised it was much longer than a regular PSU.

I was concerned there was going to be some difficulties fiitting it and the Optical drive in.

Have a look

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is only about 4mm between the two. This of course leaves no room for the IDE cable to plug in, or the molex for power.

I puzzled over this for some time, debating about returning the PSU, but I really like the Tagan. The modular cables are finished so nicely.

In the end I have decided to take inspiration from other logs and do the following.

[​IMG]

I am going to cut out the area where the PSU mounts to allow the PSU to slide out the back of the case, providing more room between it and the optical drive.

[​IMG]

Then using an old IBM Aptiva case

[​IMG]

I will cut out the PSU mounting area to make a plate, which I will attach with long bolts to the chassis.

I will post progress pics as I go.

Regards
    BenJ

5. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1 - PSU Install

One of the reasons for choosing the Tagan PSU was that I wanted it to be able to draw hot air from the AGP and PCI slot area. Even moving it back a bit, I should be able to acheive this.

With the fan facing down the PSU rests on a support, but the fan grill is raised above the surface of the PSU enclosure.

[​IMG]

It was a simple task to remove the grill

[​IMG]

and end up with this

[​IMG]

As the open fan will be facing down and I will be using cable management, I don't think I will have problems with things getting caught in the fan.

Regards
    BenJ

Last edited: 24 Mar 2006
  6. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Nice looking W/C kit. W/C stuff isn't plentiful here in Oz as you know. Where did you get it and what did it cost you? Linky perhaps?

7. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi Construction

Click on Radiical to visit their site.

Regards
    BenJ

Last edited: 23 Mar 2006
  8. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1 - PSU Install Part 2

Hello again.

I made some progress today. I cut out the PSU mounting plate from my old case.

[​IMG]

Here is the obligatory shot of my trusty dremel.

[​IMG]

I marked out the area I wanted to cut.

[​IMG]

Here it the freshly cut PSU mounting plate. I also enlarged the opening a bit to allow for freer airflow from the PSU. I decided to leave the folded piece on to maintain the rigidity of the plate.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of it after a quick file and clean, mounted on the PSU.

I think this will do what I wanted it too. Next step will be to cut out the hole in the case.

Regards
    BenJ

9. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1 - PSU Install Part 3

Greetings fellow modders.

Today I cut the hole for the PSU to slide back through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To mark out where I needed to cut I mounted the PSU on the outside, and drew around it with a pencil.

[​IMG]

I paid particular attention to this corner, as I wanted to retain as much strength in the chassis as possible.

[​IMG]

A close up of my pencil mark. I will cut along the inside of the line as close as possible to the mark.

[​IMG]

This is a shot of the freshly cut opening. Still needs filing.

So after much filing and trial fitting we have the following. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am quite pleased with the results so far.

While I was out I purchased some bolts to use to locate the PSU. Where possible, I will be using these dome head machine screws throughout the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot demonstrates how I will mount the bolts to the case.

I bought 30mm and 40mm bolts, as I am not sure how far back I will place the PSU yet. The dome nuts will go on the inside of the case to provide a nice finish.

I will now work on placing the bolts and reshaping the PSU mounting plate. I will probably paint the PSU plate flat black to it is not quite so obvious.

I hope you all had a great day. I know I did. I'm on three weeks holiday from work!!!!!! :hehe:

Regards
    BenJ

10. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1 - PSU Install Part 4

Hello

Well, I have finished the PSU mounting bracket and got it all installed. But not before I ran into a small issue.

Have a look at the picture below.

[​IMG]

The red line represents where the cut is for the opening. See how the locating tab for the MB tray is above the line? Well I had to shave a few millimeters from the top to allow the PSU to slide out.

But these challenges are what modding is all about :D

With that done, I was able to finish shaping the PSU plate. I needed to allow access to the screws for the 120mm fan, and cut the right side of the plate to the width of the PSU as there is no space there for the bolts to pass through.

[​IMG]

Here I am trial fitting the bolts and working out where to place the last bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last photo shows how it will look on the inside.

In the end I had to go with only three bolts, but this is proving to be more than adequate to hold the PSU in place. I also decided to use the 40mm bolts as this provided a bit more space inside, and I was happy with the way it looked outside.

I will be painting the PSU mounting plate, and working out how to fit the cover on, following the mods I have now made.

Cheers
    BenJ

11. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Step 1 - PSU Install Part 5

Finally, the last part of the PSU Relocation!!!!! :clap:

Well, like the MB tray, I found that I needed to mod the case cover as it would no longer fit with the PSU pushed back.

[​IMG]

The tabs wont allow it to sit in its correct position.

[​IMG]

Leaving a bloody big gap at the front of course.

So I measured up the case and marked it out and attacked it with the dremel.

While I was doing that, I painted the PSU Mounting plate.

I decided on using Satin Black to paint the PSU Mounting Plate. I picked up some $3 paint from a local auto store and a couple of bits of wet and dry sandpaper.

After a quick sand, I applied the paint in several layers, and with the case cover adjusted I ended up with the following.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I am really happy with the way this part has turned out.

I also designed a logo for my Project.

[​IMG]

I plan to cut the logo into the top panel of the case and back it with some plexi and light it either with leds or a cold cathode. Or I have another idea I will explore and see how it looks.

So, let me know what you all think in the discussion log. I really would like to hear from you, good or bad.

Until next time.

Regards
    BenJ

12. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

What an ingenious way of mounting the PSU! I hope we will see more clever solutions like this as the project progresses. The logo looks good too, IMO. :dremel:

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Quality job on the PSU adaptation --well implemented. :thumb:

14. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Water Cooling Arrived - 29 March 2006

Woooohoooo!!!!!!

Today, my water cooling parts arrived.

Some pics for you all.

[​IMG]

WHX CPU Water Block with 3/8" Nickel Plated Barbs.....mmmmmmmm

[​IMG]

Swiftech Micro Res, with 3/8" Nickel Plated Barbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laing DDC 12volt Pump, mounted on a Radiical Stand and topped with a Radiical Turbo Head fitted with 3/8" Nickel Plated Barbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Radiical Radiator, and then with the fans. They even came with silicon gaskets to reduce the noise!!!!! Lovin this stuff!!!!!

[​IMG]

Inline water temp monitor.

[​IMG]

I also ordered a selection of Nickel Plated barbs. They really add some nice bling.

I am really impressed with the quality of the gear from Radiical. They also packaged it up well and shipped it promptly. They have also answered all my questions quickly and have just been really nice to deal with.

I will have another update soon re placement of parts and progress shots of the logo.

I have also assembled H2Micr0 as an aircooled box and loaded windows on to it, to make sure everything worked. Some pics to follow shortly as well.

Cheers BenJ

15. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Case Mods - Logo and Facia - 29 March 2006

Ok, as promised, some progress shots of the Logo being cut into the cover.

[​IMG]

I printed out a the logo to use as a template and started to cut out the letters.

[​IMG]

I then traced the logo onto the top of the case, after laying down some masking tape.

[​IMG]

Nearly half way through!!!! and then I made a mistake...........

[​IMG]

The Dremel got away from me. Major stuff up on my part. Oh well, I will finish it and see how bad it is after I take the tape off. Doh!!!!!!

I have an idea of what to do with the front of the case. I don't think I will need the handle, so I thought it would look alright if i bondoed it up.

[​IMG]

Normal, with handle.

[​IMG]

With handle blended in with a quick photoshop. If I do this I will also change the colour.

Well, please let me know what you think.

Regards
    BenJ

16. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

Is the watercooling sutff going inside the case? It'll be real tight.

I was going to get that case for an htpc, or a silverstone sg01. Wasn't too sure about either so I haven't bought one yet. The main reason I don't like the Aspire/ Chenming is ugly handle in the front. It'll be great to see how it turns out if you end up bondoing it.

On that photoshop shot you've left the opening under the handle, is it an intake?
    Keep up the great work. :thumb:

17. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi Badi

Under the handle is a flat area and then there is a grill right up under the handle area.

I took the handle out to see what it would look like, but was no good.

I have used this case before for a friends mum. She uses it as an internet and office type machine. I used an all in one board with on board graphics and put in a quiet 120mm fan. It worked out real nice.

If I bondo the front it will be after the WC is set up. The silver front just unscrews fron the black part.

Keep up the comments.

Regards
    BenJ

18. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Pre Assembly and Radiator Placement - 30 March 2006

As mentioned previously I assembled the system as an aircooled box.

The purpose of this was to load windows, and make sure there were no hardware problems, before I installed the water cooling gear.

The other thing I wanted to check was cable management, and considering the small size of the case, I was able to keep things mostly uncluttered. But I still have tubing to route and a pump and a res to locate and mount.

Here is a couple of shots.

[​IMG]

Hardware mounted on MB tray.

[​IMG]

Seems to be room here for a pump and a res.

[​IMG]

And I wonder what this big area can be used for?

I mounted the HDD in the floppy area as I won't be using a floppy.

All the excess cables went in the spare 5 1/4" bay. I was considering having to cut and shut some of the PSU cables, but would like to avoid it if I can.

So now that I have the WC gear, it is time to work out placement.

The Radiator first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to place the radiator in this area, but cut the case so it can sit lower. The fans will protrude through the side, or mount completely on the outside and bolt to both the cover and the radiator. I will have to make up mounts to locate the radiator. Hopefully all my cutting of the case won't make it too wobbly!!!!!

Love to have some feedback from you all.

Regards
    BenJ

19. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

This project is going to be something else, keep it up mate! :)

20. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Looks alright mate. I was just thinking about a little detail. Wouldn't it look smoother when you put a little 'bus' around the screws you fastened your PSU with?