1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project H2Micr0 -Design Ideas for Case - 11 March 2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BenJ, 22 Mar 2006.

1. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I intend to replace the bolts with dome head machine bolts, that look like the bolts I purchased.

This should give a more uniform finish.

BenJ

2. da_buddha

da_buddha What's a Dremel?

hey... Ben, what dremel attachment were you using on the Dremel to cut the window in the top? I have a dremel too but I found the circular blades didn't work for nice rounded cuts like you were doing. I never found a great method, especially for cutting some "fairly thick" (like 1/8") aluminum...

3. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi da_buddha

What i did was make lots of little cuts using the cutoff discs. I don't cut on the line but just inside it. I then either finish using small files or you could use a sanding drum attachment on the dremel, but you need to be very careful.

I find the files allow much more control and while they take longer, you get the finish you are after.

Regards
    BenJ

4. da_buddha

da_buddha What's a Dremel?

Yaaa I think that is the technique I started to use, too... Cause there was always a burr on the edge anyway. I've only really done two major cuts... these two:
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

but I've been interested in the methods to get even better fine tuning with a dremel... :)

5. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Now those are some nice windows.

I like them very much.

I really think the dremel is good for getting rid of the bulk of material, but you still need to work it by hand to get it just right.

BenJ

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Interesting... I would keep the handle if I were you. It will come in handy, trust me.

The radiator placement is certainly creative, and I think that if you cut out the crossbar to lower it a bit this should not compromise case structural integrity provided that you make a rediator support mount to compensate. Something that will connect to the same case points as the crossbar did but dips a bit to accomodate the radiator like: |_________|

Your problem is that the drive bay blocks flow in the front half of the radiator. This will impair radiator effectiveness and also creat a fair bit of noise. I gather you have a HDD under the CD-ROM drive... OK, here's what I suggest: get yourself a slim-line DVD/CR-ROM (with adapter connector) and mount it in the top bay with the floppy, using an FCD-501 bracket (gives you two USB ports to boot; if you don't want those use the FCD-502 . If you don't mind using a 2.5" HDD, you could even use a FCD-503 bracket which accommodates a slim-line CD-ROM, a slim-line floppy (you need an adapter connector for that one too) and a 2.5" HDD in one 5.25" bay. These brackets are a bit tricky to find and need to be ordered from the US. Case-Mod.com sells the FCD-502. If possible, use only the top 5.25 bay.

This now leaves the lower bays free. Drill out some airholes in the drive mounting bay bracket of the case. You now should have some room for airflow through the front half of the radiator.

Your second problem is that the radiator will draw warm air from inside the case. Although a 2x120mm rad is more than anough for your system and therefore temperatures should not be much affected, I would look at modifying the front bezel to let in plenty of cool air: under the handle, and the bottom 5.25" and 3.5" bay bezels. That should fix the problem.

7. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi Nexxo

Firstly, thank you for your suggestions and comments. It is obvious you put some thought into your ideas.

I will be updating tommorrow my solution for fitting the radiator. Basically I drilled out the pop rivets, reversed the bracket, and with a bit of modification and remounted it lower. Then using one of the pop out bay covers, I extended down the drive bay support to reattach it to the bracket.

Re airflow, there will be around 15 to 20mm between the radiator and the drive bay support. I hope this will be sufficient room to allow airflow. I also anticipate that cool air will enter the case through the existing 120mm fan grill in the back of the case.

There is an existing grill under the handle, and I have explored the notion of opening that area further, but have some other plans for that spot at the moment. I don't think it will be necessay given the fan intake at the rear.

Those brackets for the slim DVD drives look interesting, and I will keep them in mind as an option.

Regards
    BenJ

8. WarningFromSpace

WarningFromSpace What's a Dremel?

Man this is going to be sweet. I always wanted to mod a Qpack to watercool. Ill be watching this mod with eager eyes.

9. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Logo Finished and Radiator Placement- 1 April 2006

Ok then.

After a few hours of dremel abuse, a couple of minor *^$#$&(*^%#^& words and a ton of filing, the Logo is now finished!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

It came out pretty good actually. Even though the dremel did get the better of me once or twice, I managed to get it done. The couple of slip-ups are actually easier to see in the photos than in person thanks to my handie sharpie black pen.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with the cover fitted. Hmmmm, I wonder what the shiny thing is behind the '0'?

That's right folks, the radiator is now fitted inside!!!!!

[​IMG]

This is what I planned to do.

[​IMG]

This is what I ended up with.

How did I do this?

Basically what I did was take the cross brace out, swap it end for end, cut a notch out of the end now at the back to allow for the Mother Board tray, drop it down around 15mm and pop rivet it in place. This retains the strength in the case and I think looks almost factory.

As the Drive Bays were now unsupported, I grabbed on of the metal twist out bay covers and fabricated an extension piece.

Have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last shot shows where the pump will be located. I just need to trim the stand a little to get it to fit comfortably.

I am in the process of making some mounting brakets to fix the rad in place. I then have to cut a hole in the cover to allow the fans to poke through. I am still deciding what to do re fan grills and I would like a window in the top of the case so I can see the Water cooling gear.

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

Regards
    BenJ

10. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Cooling the 7800GS HSI Chip - 1 April 2006

My video card I am using for this project is a BFG 7800GS AGP OC. Now while this is nice card and does what I ask of it, there are some issues with them.

Firstly, none of the existing GPU blocks fit the card. I have however resolved that problem and sourced a GPU water block that should fit. When it arrives I will post some pics and details.

The second problem is that as this card is natively PCIExpress it uses a HSI Chipset to interface with the AGP slot. The factory heatsink cools this as well as the ram. I needed to find a way to cool it.

I noted that Zalman had released a HSI heatsink for the 6600GT AGP variant that also uses a HSI Chipset.

[​IMG]

I ordered one of these hoping there would be some standardisation concerning HSI Chipsets.

[​IMG]

Well as you can see, the holes on the 7800GS AGP are further apart than the 6600GT AGP card.

I pondered a while on what to do and finally settled on this.

[​IMG]

I went to my local supplier and picked up a Zalman northbridge heatsink. Using the adjustable arms I installed them on the HSI heatsink. This should fit fine now. I will find out for sure later on.

Regards
    BenJ

11. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

nice going, and almost exactly what I was planning to do with mine, except I had planned to put the 120.2 outside, so good on you for finding a good place to put it!

c.u.later

12. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi c.u.later,

I did mock it up using the included standoffs hanging off the back and it does look quite good. It was off centre slightly, but certainly bearable. If I couldn't work out how to mount it internally, that was my backup plan.

Cheers
    BenJ

13. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Superb design :D
    You are God!! :hehe:

14. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Logo Backing and Fan Holes and Windows - 3 April 2006

Well, Hello Again.

With the Logo finally cut out, I have been experimenting with things to put behind it.

While I originally thought to use tinted perspex, it isn't the easiest material to get a hold of here in Sydney. So I put the old brain to work (even though I'm on holidays) and looked at alternative materials.

I was at Woollies Supermarket looking at the latest Street Machine Magazine, when I noticed all these folders made from coloured plastic.

Perfect!!!!!!

And so cheap!!!!!!

Have a look at the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This stuff even has a shimmer that makes it look a bit waterish (hope thats a word) and is transluscent so should look good with some back lighting. It is also really easy to work with. If you have some sissors and double sided tape, your all set.

I have mounted the radiator and am still finishing the top support bracket (pics soon). I mounted the fans on the radiator, marked up the case and cut a little hole for the fans to poke through. While I had the dremel out, I also cut a window in the side so all the good bits can be seen.

Here is the results, and I must say I am really happy with the outcome!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last shot shows the material used to back the window. Also made from a folder. I like the effect the lines give.

I tried to find some nice fan grills, but couldn't find anything I liked much at all. So I will make my own. A visit again to the Stationery section proved worthwhile as I scored a bargain and walked away with some cheap mesh. See the next update.

Regards
    BenJ

15. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

great use of materials!
    I like the idea of the folder plastics.

mod on.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jun 2018
  17. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

looking pretty sweet

BTW, are the fans mounted to the case, or to the rad ?

if their mounted to the rad, how do u get the case off ?

18. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi yahooadam.

The fans are bolted directly to the radiator, through a hole in the case.

To get the case off, I have to take the fans off first. While this might seem a pain in the butt, in reality once the pc is up and running, I don't anticipate being in it all the time. It only takes a few moments to take the fans off.

The fans supplied with the Water Cooling kit just don't cut it for me. Update shortly.

BenJ

19. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Update - Fan Change - 4 April 2006

Gidday

The Fans supplied with the Water Cooling kit just don't do it for me.

They don't have the modern/industrial/high tech look the case is leaning towards.

So I ripped two fans out of my current PC and installed them quickly for a look see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like these, they look heaps better. But if you disagree, please let me know.

I have been using four of these in my current rig on 5, 7 and 12volts with good results. That reminds me, I have to build a fan controller.

Sigh.

There is always something else to do.

Regards
    BenJ

20. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Those fans look heaps better. Great lookin mod so far.