1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Omg, that are some sweet waterblocks! I'm resubscribing :D

2. -=Clew=-

-=Clew=- What's a Dremel?

That is some kickass blocks!

3. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Very pleasent suprise to get back from holiday to this nexo :D Very awesome. Love the water blocks and duel opteron goodness.

-xoddoza

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I've been following this mod for a while now, very clean and clinical work.

I know your blocks are custom by Paul Vodrazka, how do they actually perform, say to Cathar's G4 Storm?

They sure do seem to have wow factor amongst the readers here,

I'd be keen to get my hands on a few for my second duel xeon setup

Cheers.

EDIT : soz , 10 mins searching on googs found me my answers cheers :)

Last edited: 5 Jan 2005
  5. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

omgsh, amen to that my friend. :clap:

6. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I have never seen waterblocks that look better. Even if these blocks would perform less then others I would like them in my system. I could live with a few extra degrees if I had such good looking blocks.

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Enak; start selling waterblocks; you'll make a fortune, and damn, man; you have style :rock:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

He sure does. But just to remind people, the blocks were originally designed by Paul Vodrazka, a CNC programmer in Canada. A lot of reasoning went into their design; more than you'd think, right down to the exact position of the screws etc. Unfortunately he made a very limited batch and they are not produced anymore, so don't ask... I have been unable to contact Paul for the last few years so I guess there is no chance of another run. Sorry.

Straight comparison testing revealed that they perform better than the D-Tek Customs Spiral block (at the time the best thing money could buy) and have a higher flow rate. I don't know how they would measure up to Cathar's G4 block. A straight comparison with them has never been done and no, I will not lend a block for testing. Only from my cold, dead fingers, baby...

As the blocks originally only came with Socket A mounts and P4 mounts, Enak did the new Xeon mounting clamps for me. As you can see, he kept very consistent with the overall look of the blocks, and given the complexity involved (I mean, you'd really have to see the blocks dismantled) he did a wonderful job. I think he pretty much could CNC any block design you throw at him!

9. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Thanks, could I make one? I think it would look good in Carbon Fiber in my current project: Perforated.

10. Nexxo

Be my guest, that's why I put the Sketchup model out there! It is soon to be added to the Sketchup library in Mod Guides.

EDIT: Sketchup model has been sent for posting in Jazzle's SketchUp model library. Download, build, enjoy.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2005
  11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I feel a nice, big, juicy update coming.....right? Don't make us beg, Nexxo.

(200th post, btw)

12. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I'm getting the feeling that is has become nessasary to send a covert ops force to obtain recent photographs of this project.

Or nexxo could just post a few teasers and save himself the pain :D

13. djfrexx

djfrexx What's a Dremel?

omg... loos great :eeek:

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

whose?

15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

this case is amazing!!! i just have one question. are you a millionare? i mean, there must be thousands of dollars worth of stuff in that case! very good job. if i was rich, my computer wouldnt look much different than that. :rock: keep it up! :rock:

16. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if thats a fair question to ask really. This project log is a long term one. Its taken a lot of time and work to get it to this stage so any financhel burdon is lessened some what. But the total cost is not realy our buisness unless nexxo choses to tell us.

Keep up the good work Nexxo

- Xoddoza

17. Nexxo

:duh: Oops, yeah, sorry, got my braincells crossed for some reason. it's Jazzle's Sketchup Library. That's Jazzle. J A Z Z L E. I will do a hundred supplications begging for forgiveness in the direction of your abode. Sorry, sorry, sorry... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

lol, s'okay - j/k.
    though it is a lower-case 'j'.

19. Jathm

Jathm What's a Dremel?

i have read through 45 pages of article and i must say i am quite impressed.

i love the cpu blocks and i love the overall look of the case.

from what i have seen the new motherboard doesnt come with 64 bit pci. Is that going to be a problem or was that just a nice feature of the old one?

any way good job. never stop modding

20. Nexxo

Not a problem; I was never going to use it, really.

What is a problem is that the single BIX may not offer enough cooling for a set of CPUs that run on average 10-20W hotter than the orignial Athlon MPs (I estimate I'll get about 40C idle to 50C under load now). Upgrade the GPu to an X800 series and that's another 15W or so... it all adds up.

As such I may plonk in a BIX2 (chrome, of course), with two fans. As another aluminium Panaflo 12G12L is incredibly hard to get now, I have had to look elsewhere. Thanks to a tip from mnpctech I was led to a thread on Ars Technica forums where they are discussing some aluminium Sanyo Denkis. Comparable in quality to Panaflos, these are 120mm, 24V 108 CFM fans that will work very well (and quietly) on 12V (and even 5 to 7V). the best bit is there are literally thousands of these fans on the market.

I can squeeze it all in sacrificing only one 5.25" bay. I'll have to move a few things about an inch or so, but in the end the setup will remain practically the same.