1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Vortex

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by :: kna ::, 11 Jan 2003.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

looks wicked
    yea it looked like a dead fish but now that u mentioned its a hose barb it does kinda...whew, good thing i didnt say what it looked like to me :idea:

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I didn't get the idea this is a bong cooler.
    It's more for show, right?

3. grim

grim What's a Dremel?

yes a vortex is more for show but what i was trying to say in my previous post was that :: kna :: shouldnt count on using the vortex alone to cool his water. if he is still going to use a radiator in addition to the vortex then he will be good. but if he is planning on using just the vortex to cool the water then he wont get good temperatures. if thats what he was planning i thik he should read that thread on ocforums and if he has space he should add an evaporation chamber to his vortex.

4. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Um..... it's a res

(if I am not mistaken)

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

hmmm i might be able to build one into the corner of my YY cube once i get.......

7. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

It's not a seperate setup, it will be the res but it is more for show than practicality. The idea is to have a cylindrical res, with the vortex as the 'showpiece', which then feeds into a standard watercooling setup with a rad. (You can just see the rad in the pic, on top of the 220b).

The problem I'm having at the mo is building something easily which allows the vortex to work but allows absolutely no air to be sucked into the pump.

8. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

<picky>In theory the friction between the water and the reservoir caused by the spinning vortex should warm the water ever so slightly.</picky> :D

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

what cheap thing can i buy/scrap/salvage/mutilate to get me a clear tube about 10 inches tall, and wide enough for a decent vortex?

10. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

"what cheap thing can i buy/scrap/salvage/mutilate to get me a clear tube about 10 inches tall, and wide enough for a decent vortex?"

I would have scout around the nearest cheapy kitchen and cookware shop for a plastic jug, storage container or the like. If it's a hard polyesterene/acrylic type plastic you can always cut off any handles, or protruberances, file and sand down the rough edges then finish with metal polish to remove any scrathches.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

What about an air trap right after pump?

12. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?