1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Y2k-bug - Repaired again...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mashie, 25 May 2003.

1. KONIJN

KONIJN What's a Dremel?

sorry to hear
    hope you get some compensation for it

2. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

That really sucks....... :miffed:
    You should definetly get some legal advice. I think you would have a good case, and most defintely get compensated.

3. Creekin

Creekin What's a Dremel?

EEK!!! :waah:

thats pretty ****ed up...
    but unfortunatly sueing them aint an option..as YOU and your luggage travel at ur own risk!! (seriously..theres no way they can gurantee everything will arrive in 1 piece..to do so would require million dollar tickets!!)

i once shipped a normal pc case, well packed..across australia (perth to canberra) and it arrived in about 10 pieces...

ram had comically installed itself in the pci slots!!
    and the cpu and psu had swapped spots!!
    HAHA!! :)

maybe in the rebuild u can add the ability for the bug to "Fly"

then not only would u win C3!!
    but it could fly itself home!!!! :D

4. mashie

mashie The one and only

Ok got a bit of repairwork done today but first a few picks of the flightcase after the incident...

[​IMG]

Traces of bug-blood everywhere.

[​IMG]

The pink foam was used around the bug on all points that could handle some load providing over 1" of bounce space (which apparently wasn't enough).

[​IMG]

So after the whole bug was dismantled it was time to start the repair, first out was the upper baseplate holding the CDRW and the servos. All 20 pieces of it was glued back in place.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the balsa itself eas in quite bad shape so some 1/32" plywood was cut in shape.

[​IMG]

And glued in place with Carbon Fibre epoxy.

[​IMG]

The pump got a new mounting plate made out of some more epoxy, the medispats are only providing a border to keep the layer of epoxy thick enough to be usable.

[​IMG]

The rear panel got pieces of balsa cut in shape to fill the holes from bits that had fallen out. Then epoxy was added between the balsa and the carbon fibre. A lot less work than making a new panel to cut.

[​IMG]

With the epoxy cured for a few hours the weights were removed and the result inspected.

The epoxy will have to set for a full 24h before the work can continue.

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

:shudder: seeing inside that case... not too hard to imagine there truely was an alien that died in there. Still, it's great that you're just going and rebuilding it! I admire you're... well whatever quality that is... modness ! :D

6. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

god man, what happened is TRULY horrible.... that really sux man and i am sorry 4 it :(

but im glad to see you are rebuilding it.... all the kudos and best of luck in rebuilding it man.....

7. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Wow dude finally I see another Hong Kong'er

Hi. ^^

Btw what's ur forum address, didn't know any existed in hk lol ... my msn is : ou7blaze@msn.com

8. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

i'd just like to add the fact that's it great you're rebuilding it (right away too). if it was me, i'd be discouraged (and pissed) and would wait before working on it again, and then when i did, i would do a half-job of it :wallbash:

good to see you're not that way though!

9. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

That sucks. I can understand how you feel. I was on a domestic flight from Edinburgh to london and i Saw my bag and my friends bag (both with PC's in and clearly marked as fragile) simply being thrown around onto the conveyor. My friends PC was ok but mine died :waah: the air line wouldnt accept any responcibility and had a full disclaimer for damage to 'fragile equipment' which included PC's (so they said). i'm just glad i took my HDD out and took it on as hand lugage.

Looking at that damage, it looks a bit to specific to be 'bounce' damage. - i mean if the bug was bouncing around THAT much wouldnt something like the graphics card actually have snaped not just cooling blocks ripped of? the thred of a 10mm bolt can support 2 ton of weight befor it breaks, the circuit boards should have been smashed up befor then. also cable ties dont just 'snap' like that, i'd suspect they'd have been cut, especially seing as how little the PSU wieghs and how little wiggle room there was for the PSU to move. given the apparently little damage (or none that i can see) to the case and the foam padding i can't beleive all that was caused by 'bouncing around' - it just screams 'i've been ripped to bits by tools'

Obviously i havnt seen it in real life so i can't say for definate but those are just my observations, with that kind of damage it just strikes me that the external case and the cards should be damaged/destroyed as well.

nice work on the repairs though. hope you can restor it fully.

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I see your point.

Intrigued, I pull out the vice, pliers, and a cable tie (non heavy duty)

It took at least 20 lbs of force to break the cable.
    When the cable broke it split right between 2 ridges. Maybe you could check the cable ties to see if it was that kind of cut.

[​IMG]

The broken cable tie has a cut perpendicular to the long side.

11. mashie

mashie The one and only

The blocks were mounted with nylon bolts except the cpu block which used stainless steel bolts and remained in place.
    As with the PSU, it is heavy, it has a big waterblock that was full with water. In one of the pics you can see how the red plastic rod (with a m3 bolt inside) is bent to the right of the PSU.

To have something falling from a few meters deaccellerate in 1" (the thickness of the foam) will generate a few G's and most likely the foam wasn't stiff enough so the G-forces got even worse. So it wasn't really a bouncing around issue but about the outer case stopping too fast compared to the bug inside...

12. fonts

fonts What's a Dremel?

wat *******s
    hope you can repair it

fonts

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Unlucky mashie :( Hope you can get it back to its former glory easily :)

14. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

mashie, bad luck. Its life for u. Well it looks like Y2k is comming back to us. But Look on the bright side. You have done amazing mods in the pass. Along with this mod. Im sure a great modder like you can get Y2k back. :thumb:

Good luck man. :dremel:

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I remember when you first started out on this mod, I thought I wouldn't like it, but then when I seen the finished product I was blown away at how good it looked along with the fine craftsmanship.

I am absolutely gutted for you, hope you can get it back looking the way it was :dremel:

16. Pistol

Pistol Guest

I am confused. What was your carry on? Could you not simply hold the bug in your hands? I don't know what was involved with your luggage, but I would have definitely carried it on.

I'm sorry and my condolensces (sp?) but I am confident in your skills. After all, if you built it, and it became unbuilt, I'm sure repair will be a breeze.

Good Luck :thumb:

17. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Most airlines have a weight/size restriction for Carry Ons...

18. Pistol

Pistol Guest

true, but it doesnt look much bigger than a carry on suitcase

19. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Post 9/11 airlines security is pure BS, and I'm not sure I would trust anything I'm told at the front gate. This sort of rough handling of equipment is exactly why my brother welded a 'roll cage' into his case. He reinforced his case with half inch squatre steel tube. When airline security askedd him about it he told them it was because they have no respect for luggage. He also always removes the HDs and takes them on as a carry on. I swear if Fed-Ex or UPS handled their cargo the same way, they ouldn't be in business because no one would use them to ship anything.

As for stuff that got wet, usally you can get away with it as long as there was little to no power available. If you can get your hands on some DI water, you should be able to clean the board, or at least thoughly rinse it as a final step. I had a mobo fall in a mud pulle before. I thought I lost it until I got a hold of some of this stuff and cleaned the board. It had no problems.

Good luck with the repairs.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hint: distilled water conducts no electricity, very good for cleaning computer parts ;)