1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 PSN Users: READ THIS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Plugs, 26 Apr 2011.

1. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

Thanks hackers.. making the world a better place. Every little helps.

2. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Thanks for royaly screwing me Sony. Now i gotta go to the bank and change a few passwords but atleast i entered fake personal details :(

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

If you use the same password for everything itd be a good time to change it, if your email address was taken and you use the same password for your email account as your PSN account. (edit:the post above went in the same time as i posted this)

Thankfully I hadnt connected my credit card to my PSN account

4. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

No my email password is different but the passwords i needed to change were non critical stuff such as a forum i use ..... :(

5. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

Or perhaps part of a great PC revolution, breaking the shackles that are the restrictive consoles in a tremendous shower of glory! Hackers of the world UNITE!

Or perhaps I should just stop watching that film...

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Sony's system? Oh you mean the outsourcing to a cheap service provider...

Does nobody learn, the last company you should be trusting is Sony, when have they ever made a decision that bodes well for their customers?

7. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Feel sorry for all the PSN User atm...Was so glad I bought a Wii instead :D

8. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Might just have been simpler for Sony to say what data wasn't compromised...
    Wouldn't have been a long statement.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm in the same boat as you, but, don't really see the point in changing them, as, whoever has gotten these details is going to have to do some pretty in depth spying to try and find out which account on whatever site is mine, and then find out the username that's connected with my email.

Even if they do, they'll only get onto forums and non critical stuff, so not worth doing.
    If they've gotten cc details, that's all they'll be interested in.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I would blame hackers and the parasites that took advantage of the system and expect Sony to patch the holes.

11. goultech

goultech What's a Dremel?

12. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I'm not saying that this necessarily reflects my own beliefs, but you could also take the viewpoint that it only affects the user experience if they do something with the details, yes passwords have to be changed as a security measure but if the info was only taken to sully Sony's name then it seems to have worked. It's Sony who've taken down the service not the hackers.

13. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

It was Microsoft or Nintendo who did it.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

15. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Where do UK PS3 owners stand on the ID Theft.

What do we need to do, i.e cancel cards etc.

16. REM_Jupiter

REM_Jupiter What's a Dremel?

As a person who's worked in the Banking and I.T. environment I’ll enlighten everyone and highlight that this isn't anything new. Compromises and Hackings like this happen on a daily basis were personal and financial information is stolen. Regardless of how big or small a company is any company and no matter how much money they throw at there security it can suffer from a security breach. That’s the problem with fraud and hacking in the modern world as there will always be people who try to subvert security of companies and make a quick buck in the process by either using or selling the data they obtain. There are good examples of compromises this year alone such as Play.com and Lush who are just two out of hundreds of companies that have been affected by compromises the difference about these companies and Sony is the fact that there willing to tell there customers were others don't even bother.

If your concerned about your data and financial info then my advice is to cancel your debit/credit card and have it replaced in addition to this change your passwords that will be linked to your email which was registered through Sony. If you live in the UK and wish to go a step further contact either Equifax or Experian and have a protective registration applied to your credit file to protect the possibility of identity theft.

As a customer of both the PS3 & Xbox 360 I’d highlight that it can affect both companies now and in the future so if you own a 360, Wii or PC don't sit all high and might on your thrown smugness as it can easily happen to you as well it’s just a matter of time.

Final advice to all is honestly not to panic and go about your lives as its happened now and apart from what I highlighted above there's very little you can do about it.

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Perhaps you should ;-)

These aren't some social vigilantes looking to free anyone, they are plain and simple criminals. Personally if they were caught I would hang them by the testicles (or other suitable gender specific body part) and leave them to rot. Same goes for game pirates and virus writers.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

If I were you I would change the password on any other account you have that uses your email address as a user-id (including your PSN account). Also if you had a credit/debit card registered through PSN I would watch the account like a hawk for the next few days/weeks/months.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I just got my bank to cancel my card and send me a new one, it usually only takes a couple of days so it's not a massive inconvenience.

20. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

If you check there Anonymous Newsite, they say themselves "For once it wasn't us" Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't who knows? Sounds suspicious to me...But like everyone said, it has to be Nintendo or Microsoft ;)