1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 PSN Users: READ THIS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Plugs, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

After years of putting up with console owners saying how insecure PC's are, it's time for a quiet chuckle.
    He he he

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The worst part of this (for me) isn't the disclosure of passwords (they're changeable) or credit card information (again, cancel card get a new one) but potentially the release of security questions & answers....
    Pretty hard to change your mothers maiden name or place of birth (unless you make up something new but that introduces the risk you'd forget it).

Maybe not a huge concern, but could allow malicious people future access to peoples accounts even post a password change.

Sucks, we don't even own a PS3 - we use Qirocity via Blu-Ray player which shares the PSN network.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Thank god for A: Not telling PSN to store my details for the one purchase I made, B: Using an email address exclusive to PSN, C: Not needing to care.

4. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

A bit off-topic but this kind of reminds me of why I don't trust the cloud. Imagine in the future if we all stored our data in the cloud, and someone hacked into the service and got access to every piece of data you have.

On topic, the PSN network has been down for a while now, hopefully they can get it back up and running soon.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

6. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Damn you beat me to it :p

7. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Just went down to my bank and they reassured me that i would be safe keeping my current details and if my account was wiped they would offer a full refund and offer a new card. So now i know im safe

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My understanding is they were connected to a "trusted" network and it was that fact which allowed some piggy-backing to go on.

9. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Just saw a Beeb news report that ended with the words "..it's not clear if the playstation netwrok will be up again." Wut?

Edit: I don't actually think it's dead and not coming back, I was just pointing to funnies..

10. dave_salmon

I don't like the idea of clouds either. I read an article about how they'd like everything to become cloud based so you have some barebones hardware and a tiny amount of storage and your OS/programs/games/files/etc will be streamed to you.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

"All your Mastercards are belong to us"

adidan likes this.
  12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

:D:D:thumb:

13. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

Apparently the credit card details were encrypted, and therefore not lost. But all the person details weren't encrypted... Seems a bit of an odd system to me. Surely everything should be encrypted, even my grandmother would know to do that...

14. dave_salmon

Another ARS article.

Apprently a few dozen people are convinced they have been the victims of fraud. The quoted stories do smell of comment from the sorts of idiot and troll that lurke the boards over there.

15. boo3a

boo3a What's a Dremel?

16. 985323

985323 I am Jack's smirking revenge

From the PSN blog: "The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted."

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Rueters and the The Guardian are reporting that hackers in underground forums are shopping around a DB of information taken (2.2 million accounts) from the PSN server containing the CC# and CVV. Sony has never asked nor required the CVV so I question the validity of that claim, which is now making headlines already.