1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

2. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know where I can buy a vga cable in the uk that has dcc.
    Or someone said something about using cat5e network cable instead ? does that actually work and does the quality get any worse ?

Secondly, do I just chop of the cable end, so it comes out of the graphics card like usual, but then chop of the other VGA connector so its just the bare wires on their own ( which i solder to the board )

Thirdly, once ive soldered all the wires to the board do I just power the lcd with the power adapter that came with the lcd?

Last edited: 18 Oct 2005
  3. bordjon

bordjon What's a Dremel?

question about powering multiple lcds

hello,

I confess I haven't read through the whole thread but...

I was wondering if there is an easy way to power multiple lcds via just one ac adapter - somehow wiring them all up - uh in serial - uh or is it parallel - sorry I don't know the right term but... I'd like to have a few of these each connected to a digital photo viewer displaying different photos - kinda like those old cluster photo frames you would see with family photos in them - but I didn't want to have a ton of power cords going all over the place. I'm actually decent with soldering and such - my first mod to one of these was to take the female proprietary playstation plug (that's a tongue twister) on the backside of it off and connect that to a vga cable so I could just plug it onto the front male plug - and that's worked great. Any help would be much appreciated - you can email me at bordjon at gmail dot com or reply here.

Thanks,

Jonathan

4. bordjon

bordjon What's a Dremel?

Switchres x on mac?

Ok heck while I'm at it here's another question?

Has anyone got one of these things working on a mac? Using Switchres X?

I have an old imac g3 that I've had to strip the monitor from but have it working with an external monitor. It would be cool if I could just use one of these on it for the bedroom for media streaming and such.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

6. geor1712

geor1712 What's a Dremel?

psone lcd

Woo Hoo1 I have my £26.99 ps1 lcd working and in my case - without looking bad! :D :D :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

jus a question....

just wondered if anyone has done the simple thing of:

connecting this via SVideo?

http://pinouts.ru/data/svideo_7pin_pinout.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/data/PlayStationAV_pinout.shtml

now, i'm no electronics genius, but, as far as i can see a streight cable (maybe with a few resistors) from the svideo pins on the playstation in, to an svideo cable would have the card able to connect as an svideo tv, recognised as a tv, working in decent resolution - ie pal (i'm in the UK) res (720x576), and not needin all the messing about with powerstrip etc

i have a 6800 ultra and on this card you can force tv detection, so i assume i can make it come on on boot?
    ( you can make the display do 640x480 res using the 480i settings on the panel in graphics properties......i'm guesing, because thats what the playstation puts out i've heard....)
    hope i'm not wrong, before i blow mine up.......

and for all the people in the UK, check out wildthings ebay shop....
    not sure if they ship worldwide...

also, i bought a wild things own brand one, for £18.50
    it has a much longer cable between the screen and the board, looking at the inputs and outputs for this, the playstation propreitary connector seems to be a streight pass through, also leading me to believe, i wouldnt even have to take the case to peices, if i bought the correct sony cable, it should run the signal, basically backwards (and i mean not signal wise, i mean literally from the thru-port on the back, to the input to the front, the signal should be the same) right? thus totally negating any "real" modding, because this is standard input according to the lcd

Last edited: 20 Oct 2005
  8. Brunosso

Brunosso What's a Dremel?

please post the exact code on the chip of the video card, working to hack psoneLCD screen!...Like MGA-XXXX-XXX...a matrox G200A works?

9. effbee

effbee What's a Dremel?

I have a MGA-1064SG-D, Mystique that works fine.

10. ghounds07

ghounds07 What's a Dremel?

Okay, I'm about to start up this project of just using my Chaintech 6600GT w/ S-Video to hopefully get this to work...

So I guess I need an S-Video -> RCA
    And then I'd need an RCA -> 3.5mm

Is this correct?

If so, does anyone have any links to the specific cords / where to buy (or just what they look like) that'd be great!

By the way, if nobody has heard, K-Mart is having a huge clearance on these screens, they are now selling them for $13! I got the last two at one of the stores in my area today, so if you are still looking for one, hit up your local K-Mart to see if they have any.

11. ghounds07

12. Brunosso

Brunosso What's a Dremel?

ok I Have a MGA 1064SG-H e don't works :wallbash: :wallbash: ... and a MGA 2164WP-C works, but no at 100% :worried: :worried:

13. megaglowz

megaglowz What's a Dremel?

14. Lemmingzappa

ok guys im really worried now, I recieved my lcd this morning, but I cant solder the wires to the pcb, ive made a complete mess of it and my soldering iron tip is too large. I cant afford anything else really so I dont know if ive just wasted 30 quid.

I couldnt get a close enough shot for you to see the real mess but here it is anyway:

[​IMG]

I dont know what to do tbh, have I just messed up my lcd all together ?

15. Lemmingzappa

Oh kool IanW, hopefully this should be ok then, but im having my doubts.
    Ive connected it all up as it should be, apart from the dcc cable, which ive been told I can solder onto the back of the PCB somewhere (even after seeing images im still not sure where abouts though). But even without the dcc cable attached, surely windows should still detect it as another monitor ?

Ive got my main monitor connected to the DVI slot, and this lcd connected to the VGA slot on the back of the graphics card, is there anything im doing wrong ?

Do I have the red/white bunch of cables and the blue/white bunch of cables the wrong way around ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed one of my soldering joints have slightly gone over to the light green "open" area of the pcb, and not all just on the dark green bit. This is hard for me to explain but I dont think it matter, unless you can tell me otherwise.

16. ghounds07

I have never modded anything with a soldering iron before, but want to start with this mod, does anyone have a link to a good / cheap soldering iron on ebay or anything? I've seen a couple for like $5 but do those suck, or are they good? I have no clue about prices so please fill me in, thanks :) .

Also, where are you guys getting the "VGA" cable? Like where do you buy it / what is it called?

Thanks for all your help!!!

17. enterprise

enterprise What's a Dremel?

VGA cables are just ordinary monitor cables with the 15 pins

18. ghounds07

kk, so i read in another forum i should just take one of these ordinary cables from an old monitor or something. problem is, i don't have any old monitors to take one from :( (just got rid of my old monitor not too long ago dangit..).

So where else could I get one of these, does any store actually sell these cables by themselves?

19. enterprise

enterprise What's a Dremel?

just go buy a vga extention cable from a local pc shop

20. sidewinder

sidewinder What's a Dremel?

split screen

hello,

i recently completed the soldering for a vga mod on the psone lcd, when i hook it up to a playstation vga box, there is a bar down the center of the screen a couple centimeters thick, and on either side of the bar is the video. Is there an easy fix for this split screen? or do i have to mess with it in powerstrip. i'm hoping to avoid having to use powerstrip at all, or is that impossible.

Please let me know what i need to do to get rid of the split screen.

thank you

Tags: Add Tags