1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars - IT'S BACK

Discussion in 'General' started by Snubbs, 13 Jan 2016.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

There's not much incentive not to go to the weight limit to be honest.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Trouble is the standard of competition has gone up and up.

Bot fighting kept going off screen when Robot Wars ended, a lot of the teams in this TV series have been at it for a decade or longer.

The days of the woefully under-prepared team coming along with tinfoil armoured robot are mostly over, even the wooden one two weeks ago was pretty solid.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I was satisfied with yesterday's episode more so than last week which I found a bit vapid.

I did wish for different match ups yesterday though but like I say, happy enough with the show :) the rags to riches thing was good too with that kid who was allowed to come back (and went on to kick ass)

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I completely wrote off the big wheeled not (forgot its name) going up against Ironside 3. Many bots before with that style (stinger I think) was completely useless. The height made it harder still for other bots to hit anything valuable ie the motors.

Who do you think will get the wildcard position for the finals?

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I was quite pleased with the last episode, it was great seeing a robot go up in flames for a change and the judges bringing Pulsar back into the competition as the kid had some poor luck in the opening match. Other than a few glitches with the drive on Pulsar, that robot had some really good destructive power.

Gabriel for it's wacky design was actually controlled amazingly well, I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to land some decent blows with the sword-shaped weapon.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Gabriel was a surprise that weapon actually took out one of beasts wheels and was generally a pain for anyone to get to grips with. Chompalot did actually grab the body of it but I'm not sure if its weapon was already damaged by that point.
    Good driving on Gabriel too holding the weapon in the air but I cant help feeling it needs a little more weight to do some damage.
    Pulsar was good has that lovely death hum that Carbide has. The kids explanation of what could happen when it hit Ironside is bang on but can you imagine Carbide an Pulsar collided, that would be pretty violent.

Overall though happy with the episode the right bots went though.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

A much better episode. While Pulsar had the spinny thing (and a nice vertical one at that), its main problem is that it was too far back on the chassis - meaning that the robot had to get up and under another before it could do any damage - and it looked to have difficulties doing that. Nicely engineered robot, though, for someone who said that he'd never done it before :)

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If the drum was protruding form the robot, then it would have significant moment about the front 'edge' of the robot with every impact (and there's a lot of energy dumped into that drum). It would flip itself forward and over with every hit. By insetting the drum, the impact force is almost straight down through the centre of the robot, so serves to solidly plant it into the floor of the arena. We've seen with the horizontal spinners that impacts serve almost as much to throw the attacking robot about as the target robot, so being able to stay still means more energy is dumped into the target rather than wasted.

9. fix-the-spade

Watched it tonight, Gabriel (the robot's name) is the one I really hope ends up in the grand final. Those flexy wheels and the flexy weapon mount are genius, they completely negate the power of those destructive spinners.

I'm not sure how it would do against a hammer like Thor though.

Speaking of which, if Gabriel doesn't go through I hope they promote Thor, it only went out through bad luck and was awesome until the unlucky strike knocked out it's control link.

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

So what did folks make of the Final ??

i thought it was pretty good, but the last fight didnt really match the hype generated, especially at the end when
    both robots weapons were not working.

i also felt that Carbide should of won, both for not being another boring flipper, but also because of the damage it did to Apollo, ripping off some of the armour panels and damaging the flipper, i wished that while that fliiper was jammed open Carbide could of chopped through it like Hypnodisk did to Stealth

11. rollo

rollo Modder

We have not really saw anything of the power that hynodisk had. Enough that might be due to much better armor on robots.

Hopefully we get another series enough some of the battlebots would wipe the floor with this lot.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I watched last night's final and really enjoyed it. The early battles were particularly good with robots and drivers all performing well. I might even watch it again later.

A shame that Carbide's weapon failed yet again. That spinner clutch needs some serious innovation.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah i enjoyed that as well, looking forward to the next series.

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Overall it was a really good episode to watch with some nice destruction (almost entirely from Carbide).
    I felt sorry for team Pulsar with the drive motors failing again.

Absolutely amazed by how many times Thor was able to be rebuilt, especially after that total decimation from Carbide.

A little disappointed by the final match and I also felt the wrong robot won, Carbide didn't really appear to suffer any damage beyond them knocking out their own weapon.

Hoping for more spinning and crushing weapons in the next series.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Flipper robots never really do alot of physical damage, The internals get heavily damaged usaully though.

Would prefer the old arena. The new one is kinda bland.

16. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

it was also a little cringy with the commentator claiming he had 'never seen anything like it' when carbide ripped a section of the arena wall out...

im guessing he forgot that Typhoon 2 did it at least twice, and i remember someone else doing it as well...

its a REAL shame the old arena was scrapped though. i remember Behemoth especially upset about it... scrapped for a mere £250... it was a travesty

17. fix-the-spade

Really enjoyed the finals and Zombie Thor!

Felt the right team won, they were by far the best value for money between griefing the house bots and their generally having a go at everything that came.

Carbide were a little too professional and dry for me, plus when that spinner failed it was basically over. Even without the flipper Apollo just beat Carbide around the arena.

Spinners do seem to be the awesome but impractical weapon of Robot Wars. For the destruction they can wreak it's a lot of energy for a robot's internal to absorb.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2016
  18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Caught up yesterday, Apollo was the better bot overall, seems they fixing the link with gaffer tape helped keep it in placed for the second fight with Carbide.

Thor was very good a proper Viking mentality going on there, shame it failed the way it did but it had been well an truly battered so simply turning up was a feat.

TR2 great driving an the fight with Apollo was great to watch an after Carbides blade failed again you could see his skills coming into play.

Carbide agree with spade, too professional to much of a one trick pony.

Pulsar great potential just need to sort that sodding motor out! was hoping for a carbide Vs Pulsar death hum duo :(

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My two favourite robots this series were both in the final so it was a win win for me :)

Great fun and a great finale, especially from Thor.

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yea the series ended very strongly. Depending on how much you weigh damage vs control vs aggression you could make a case for either bot winning.
    Hopefully the next series will be slightly longer with a bit more variety. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of the old guard return