1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars - IT'S BACK

Discussion in 'General' started by Snubbs, 13 Jan 2016.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Does seem to be a common thing, run over, hit the button, push opponent in to avoid a fight/damage.

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I think the issue now is that you cant flip a bot out of the arena, which was semi-common originally,

The Pit was always on a bot activated button, it just seems most teams are activating it quickly at the moment, probably for some as its a valid win condition.

If we want less of the pit being a decider then that falls to the robots that are fighting and the people piloting them. I would be less likely to hit it if i was in the arena as it would give me room to work with when positioning for an attack.

I would love to see that stats going back all the way to the first series to see how many wins have been due to pit, how many are down to a destructive immobilization, how many loses are due to a normal immobilization and how many wins were Chaos 2 flipping stuff out of the arena

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Looking at the wiki there doesn't appear to be many flippers this series. Towards the end of the last wars it felt like more than 50% was some sort of flipper design. I guess with increase weight, more enclosed arena etc has made them less effective

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think in the original series, the pit button had a time delay on it, so competitors couldn't just go straight to it and win in a matter of seconds. I'm fairly sure, in the originals, that the pit button didn't work for the first 60s of a match?

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That does sound familiar... :thumb:

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I do seem to recall the pit release button 'lighting up' to show that it was ready to be pressed.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

This week includes a wooden robot with a petrol engine. What could possibly go wrong? :eyebrow:

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i want glitterbomb to be destroyed so hard.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dara looks like hes actually starting to enjoy himself.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Did Super Nova just fall victim to the gyroscopic force created by its own spinner? It seemed to stay on two wheels for a very long time (I realise the replays are in slow motion :)).

11. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

I prefer BattleBots. So much more entertaining fights, no house robots, no pit. The robots are more destructive too.

Season 2 episode 6 was an absolute corker. Well worth a watch.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

but american live tv sucks balls.

13. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Yet it's still better than Robot Wars.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

There seemed to be an awful lot of padding in tonight's episode, and it seemed to lack any tension?

I think they might have changed the rules surrounding spinners - I'm sure I remember that in the Hypnodisc era, the disc was already spinning when the match started? It just seems to me that all of the spinners so far have failed because of the time that the disc takes to spin up - which Hypnodisc et al never seemed to suffer from.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yea, I didn't enjoy tonight's episode as much as the previous two but I suppose there are bound to be a few peaks and troughs.

I'm not sure what's up with the spinners. The only one that has managed to pull it off so far from what I've seen is Carbide, in the first episode.

16. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

iirc the rule has always been before activation a robot has to be completely non functioning ( no spinning up etc ) many teams bent the rule slightly, by spinning the disk a little, then letting it run on a clutch ( so its moving before Activate, but not powered )

i think a big part of the problem is twofold, Faster robots, and the fact that the robots start MUCH closer together than they used to, and people have realised that if you keep a spinner stopped, he cant build the kinetic energy in the disc

Also it seems you CAN throw an opponent out of the Arena, but ONLY where the 4 gates are ( and one of them has a tire in front. Dantomkia tried to throw King B out, but only got half way, before Matilda finished the job

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Dantomkia, Is the current record holder for most robots thrown out of the ring and even managed to get Chaos 2 out back in i think season 5,

There is also an increase in the weight limits, it used to be a max limit of 80kg, and I believe that limit is about 120kg now for competitors, im not sure though, its clearly more than 110kg as there was a bot that fat in the arena this week.

same,

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think the best bot went through this week, TR2 was driven far better than the rest good agression and control. I enjoyed the two fights with them and Dantomkia while the rest were a little underwhelming, did feel like there was a bit much padding though.

19. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I too thought this episode was a bit boring, but what can you expect when the bots themselves are a little dull?

Spinners are damn tricky to get right tbh. You need to balance so many different things and then there's the fact that you have a lot of mechanical points of failure. The biggest mistake many seem to make is ensuring the weapon makes proper contact, followed by what happens when all that force is applied back onto the robot itself. You can see just how well engineered Carbide was compared with these recent ones as when it flung itself accross the arena it still generally functioned. Many of the other bots break after just one or two moments of contact with another. But even carbide isn't immune to this, as their weapon failed too IIRC.

Also, what are the rules on axes? Are they not allowed to be sharpened to any degree? All the ones I've seen so far (including Shunt's) appear to be more akin to thin hammers as their edges are flat. Now I'm not talking really sharp here, as that would be pointless, but more tapering down to 3mm rather than say 10mm. It just appears that the axes are largely in effectictive currently against the thick armour of current bots.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes very much this. This week Mrs Vault didn't even bother glancing up from her tablet.