1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Scan.co.uk and returns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 7 Jan 2010.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

I don't know is this is the correct place to post this but...

I've come across a wee gotcha with Scan Computers and their returns policy.

I ordered an item from Scan which was delivered just before Christmas Eve. I had also purchased Scansure installation insurance which was a good decision because I managed to damage the item whilst installing it (this was down to incomplete instructions resulting in a stripped screw thread) so I raised an RMA with Scan on Christmas Eve to replace the damaged item under Scansure. Given that it was the holiday period, the RMA wouldn't be processed until the first week in January and Scan told me I shouldn't send the damaged item back until January 2010. Over the holidays I found out that the item wasn't compatible with my system and so contacted Scan on 4th January to request a refund after I'd sent back the item, but I was told that because I'd damaged the item I wasn't eligible for a refund under the distance selling regulations which provide a 7 working day cooling off period after delivery of the item.

I'd presumed that because the item would be replaced under Scansure, then I could still obtain a refund but Scan have refused to even consider that, so now I'll be left with a component that I can't use and will have to sell on ebay, probably at a loss.

The lesson learned here is to carefully check compatibility of items purchased from e-tailers before you install them, because if you damage the item or even the packaging, you cannot get a refund.

One other piece of advice - when a courier/delivery person asks for your signature on receipt of a mail order item, make sure that you write "ITEM NOT CHECKED" beside your signature, otherwise if you open the box later and find that the item is damaged, you be less able to claim a refund or replacement.

I'm still pretty annoyed that Scan won't consider a refund though, given their claims about excellent customer service etc etc.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cant say scan have done anything wrong they arent be sly or devious.

you ordered the wrong part and failed to notice within 7 days of receiving the goods. its pretty standard practice. scan insure only protects against installation damage not extra time to get a refund.

cant say ive ever had to write item not checked on my parcels and any returns ive made have been dealt with promptly.

3. giskard

giskard System builder

I did notice and informed Scan within 7 working days of receiving the goods.

I wasn't saying that Scan have been devious or anything like that but given their stated reputation, I might've expected them to be a bit more flexible in this instance, esp. as I've been a customer of theirs for a number of years now.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I always write unchecked when i sign for packages, Ive had a couple of problems in the past with the wrong items posted out to me.

I agree with bagpuss though, scan are well within their rights to do what they have. Its not bad customer service, they're replacing the part in question. Ok it isnt suitable for you but that isnt their fault.

I suppose scan could just send you a compatible part, but even if they did their going to charge a restocking fee, in which case its probably easier just to chuck the part on ebay you might lose less than what the restocking fee would be.

5. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I would find out the returns/CustomerService managers name and write him a detailed letter - and I mean nicely, no funny stuff, because someone down the line has thought they are doing the right thing by saying no to you, they've balls'd up.

1) If the item was just damaged AND NO OTHER CONCERNS, the item would get replaced for you no problem because you paid for the extra cover.

2) If the item turned out to be the wrong part for your setup AND NO OTHER CONCERNS, then you'd pay the usual restocking (I think that's how they still do it) fee and thats it.

Combine the two together and it's easy to do the math and see that they should still take the item back.

And on a side note, I've never had any issues with them in the past with returns. Usually very good about things.

6. adam_bagpuss

didnt u inform scan for the damage for the part though not that it was an incorrect item and you would like a refund ?

7. 13eightyfour

I think from reading the original post, scan were informed the part had been damaged on the 24th, but were also noted that the part was unsuitable on the 4th Jan which would be just within the 7 working days.

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I think the issue may be more that Scan told you not to send it in immediately. If you had ignored them, it would have arrived well within the auspices of the DSR. I would point that out; they can't ask you a favour, which is what delaying the return was, and then refuse to honour their obligations as a result.

I stress they still haven't done anything wrong, though.

9. adam_bagpuss

did u receive the goods before the 22nd dec as that is 7 WORKING days. since the other week days were official bank holidays.

10. giskard

giskard System builder

I received the goods at around 5.30pm on 23rd December

11. adam_bagpuss

then scan seem to be in the wrong as if you have 7 working cool down days to get a refund then you are within that time.

working days dont include bank holidays and weekends so you should be ok. however it is now past 7 days did u email scan or ring them ?

just wondering if you had evidence that you contacted them on the 4th.

12. giskard

giskard System builder

That's what I've always found. I might put pen to paper and send a letter addressed to "Customer Services Manager" at Scan and see where that gets me.

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think theres some confusion here. Or there is for me atleast.

Are Scan no longer agreeing to replace the product under scansure?

When you asked scan about getting a refund because the item wasn't what you needed, did you mention that you'd already started the process for a return under scansure? They may have just assumed that you'd got this part, damaged it, then realised it was wrong, which I can see why they wouldn't want to replace it if they thought that.

14. giskard

giskard System builder

Yes I sent them an email and they had a log of my phone call on 4th January.

I'm just questioning whether if scan had replaced the damaged within and few days and then I tried to claim a refund under the DSR, would I have a valid claim? I'm not sure but I think the distance selling regs only apply if the original item is undamaged. I'll need to check that...

15. adam_bagpuss

hmmmm

well you had it insured though for that very reason.

although im unsure if you can combine your scan insure with your 7 day cool down period.

16. giskard

giskard System builder

They're agreeing to replace it under Scansure but they're refusing to refund me and keep the item that'll be replaced under Scansure.

17. 13eightyfour

I think if you push them hard enough, and tell them that they were informed that you wanted to send it back anyways, They will say that they'll refund you, without sending the replacement, but less the restocking fee.

I cant find a fixed price for the restocking fee, but reports on the net are around 25% if thats the case its not worth the refund imo just sell it on.

18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Maybe don't ask for a refund, just ask for another part that you want? They just don't want to lose your business (i.e. money).

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

From what I'm reading there are two seperate issue's first you are claiming for damaging the item under scansure and this only allows for a replacement , 2nd scan are not obligated to refund if you bought a item not compatible although they will but are entitled to charge a restocking fee if its out side of the 7 day . I have myself returned some memory that was not compatible in the past with scan which they had told me it was before I had bought it and was longer than the 7 day rule but only agreed to a refund if I bought the other ram first they will not change one part for a different part you will have to buy the correct part and try to get a refund for the other I should point out that the fact they had given me bad advice is I believe is why they agreed to give me the refund

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Worth noting folks, that under the distance selling regulations, companies are not legally allowed to charge a "restocking fee", whether you opt for a refund or an alternative product.

This one seems a bit iffy though, if you get the wrong product that is a valid reason for using the DSR, but if you break that product and then want a refund it seems problematic. That said, you had insurance for the item and since if they'd acted promptly you would have had the replacement before the DSR period ended, it seems you do have a case for getting a refund. It's iffy though.