1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Seaching for an excellent 1920x1080 monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotnikkelz, 7 Jul 2009.

1. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Thank you everyone for your replies, I've narrowed down based on some of the options you guys mentioned...
    Dell 2209
    HP lp2475
    Dell 2407 (i'm really really considering this one)
    Samsung 2333 (TN film though)

the search still continues though...
    I'm from Trinidad & Tobago.
    OcheSpykee, i don't think i'll get the spectre...have heard nothing about that brand at all.

2. Kunin

Kunin What's a Dremel?

I just got two Samsung SyncMaster T260HD (about 400USD) and they're pretty nice (both physical look and picture quality). 1900x1200 resolution (26" monitor), with a whole ton of inputs (also can double as an HD tv).

3. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

hotnikkelz, so you're not gonna wait for that upcoming 23" Samsung monitor? I recommend you do because it's going to be the first decent 1080p monitor. It'd also be nice to have a futureproof monitor with a displayport 1.2 input which will be out soon.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Huh?

What do HDTV have to do with this?

Saying that a display is a LCD is as specific as saying "this is a car"
    And TFT is is as specific as saying that "this is a sports car". TN, PVA or IPS is like saying whether it's a Supra, Ferarri or a Bugatti.

Resolutions and display technology isn't related at all. Resolution only tells you how many pixels a display will have. 1080P is a term from the TV industry meaning that the picture have 1080 lines scanned Progressively.

The display technology TN, PVA or IPS tell you (to a certain degree) how well the picture is reproduced. The most important point in this discussion is contrast and color rendering. Most of the industry as all about resolution and response times. This is well and good for people who use displays for gaming and surfing on the web. For people who do picture and video editing it's important to have good colors. In such cases a PVA or IPS panel is the way to go. They are a bit slower in response time, but render better colors. (But they make some games look amazingly better).

Anyway. I got a Eizo S2431W a while ago and I'm very happy with it. I'm unsure about the prices in your country but it should be close to your budget I think.

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

tft is the technology, not the panel type.

6. hotnikkelz

You've lost me...which samsung is that? link me please.

Kunin, will check them out thanks :)

Smilodon, Eizo is a negative, they're way out there in price. I can only buy from Amazon, and it isn't available locally. I've seen them though, and they're impressive

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

This one.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Smildon, how did you afford an Eizo??

Oh and going back, to the main subject, stay away from LED displays until they're perfected, they still have bleeding issues and washed out colors.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nha, good monitor with LED have no porblem, heck my laptop LCD (Latitude E6400) has no issue (LED backlit, 1440x900, LG screen)

10. Elton

Really? The few LED HDTVs have had some terrible bleeding, well the washed out colors was a much bigger problem.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well... my screen on my laptop does "wash-out" colors at max brightness as it's design for outdoor view (you do see screen when the sun is behind you, more or less), but it's not that the colors wash out it's your eyes that adjust to a point where you feel the color wash out... and that of course only happens inside. Normally thus, no wash out of colors. But then again the screen is matte (anti-reflective), so already the colors are not as vivid as those super reflective screen/mirrors.

12. Elton

Matte is preferable to super reflective in my eyes.

13. hotnikkelz

i dislike reflective screens myself.

er-el, i ahve a feeling those monitors will be terribly expensive :(

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I DO have a job, you know. ;)

I have two more Eizo 24" monitors in the mail. Should arrive here tomorrow. :D

LED displays are the same as CCFL lit displays. The only difference is the light source. They still have an LCD panel in front of the light. The only advantage is that some displays is able to turn of the backlight on parts of the screen that are black. It will look like you have better contrast in some situations.

In laptops it's the exact same as a CCFL lit display AFAIK (as in no backlight control). The advantage here is the reduction in power usage.

15. Elton

I do too, but I can't afford a $1K+ Monitor...

Then again, I am using a Dell W2607C, but that's used.

16. hotnikkelz

Ok guys, again i't looks like i may bite the bullet on this one and go for a TN cuz it's been brought to my attention that only through graphics enthusiasts really 'need' the colour reproduction of pva/ips models. I'm not sure if i'm convinced of that, but my wallet speaks volumes.
    So...is it really worth it?
    What 24" TN panel gives pretty good colour accuracy?
    Also the title of my thread is wrong, i really wanted an excellent 24" 1920X1200 res LCD. I really really don't want to compensate with the res anymore.
    So now that i already know the good PVA/IPS panels, what are the great TNs.
    Also what panel does these Sony Vaio all in one desktops use?
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644577898
    Reason i ask cuz (besides the gloss) the colours look nice....if it's TN then that's enough for me.

17. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

May be worth hanging on a bit longer too - LG are due to release 2 new monitors end of July -
    "LG have recently announced the launch of their new W20 series of screens, featuring a range of features including IPS panel technology. The W2420P and W2220P are available from July and cost 400.00 Euro for the 24-inch model and 260.00 Euro for the 22-inch model."
    I'm just waiting for the reviews before I decide which monitor to get .
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/17.htm#lg_ips_screens

18. rolly74

rolly74 Digital Marionette

Samsung is a panel manufacturer, Benq is not, they are an end-product manufacturer like Dell, HP, etc.
    Check out this panel database, it lists all monitors and their panels: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

19. hotnikkelz

úpdate, the dell 2408 looks appealing lately, if i can get it for 300 i just might snag one. Some TNs actually have my eye too.
    Dell S2409W and Benq g2400WD