1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

All

Apologies to mods. I didn't know exactly where to post this as this is a plain build and not one of the more awesome mods this site hosts.

I dont know if anyone on the forum has built a system using an FT03 however all the parts for my build are in so I thought Id let you know how it turns out.

I didnt want to spend more than £800 on the build and wanted the sysetm to be a 'jack of all trades master of none' type rig. My main concerns were that it would run stable, cool and quiet whilst only using air cooling.

My components are

Silverstone FT03 case
    Asus P67-M Pro mobo
    Intel i5 2500K CPU
    4gb G SKILL 1.5v C9 1600 RAM
    KFA2 Anarchy Nvidia GTX 560 Ti GPU
    650W Antec True Power New PSU
    1TB Samsung F3 HDD
    Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler.

I know the specs are pretty tame however a major objective for me was to keep within price constraints. This rig is going to be sat in a corner and not exactly visible. So far I believe the total build has come in at £815 so I wasnt too far out:)

I will post some pics when I finish the build later today.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I got an FT03 last week, just took it out the box today actually. Did you get Black or Silver? I'm not so fussed at this white plastic on the silver to be honest.

I'm also planning literally the same build but with slightly different hardware, so it'll be interesting to see how they both turn out. :D

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I would be very interested in both your builds as I really like the look of this case and would like to know what you think about it. What cooler are you both going for? Not sure if my Vapor-X card expels heat in the correct direction as recommended in the manual though so that could be an issue.

4. Lankius Maximus

Its in black. My only real concern is that the GPU vents into the case and not directly out the top, just as Da_Rude noted. However as the case is supposed to vent a pretty powerful set up passively I am hoping this will be negated (especially with the tranquillo's fan).

5. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I dread of tame specs!

6. Lankius Maximus

Ive yet to put in the added CPU fan and being a numpty I completely forgot to order a suitable SATA cable for the optical drive.

Otherwise its a reasonable simple and tidy build process (except the back view obviously).

The PSU fits fine even though its not completely modular which means at least one of my worries has not been realised.

Cant fire it up till the cable arrives though and with work/ sprog commitments that probably means Sunday. Digits crossed regards the gpu though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looks lovely. I really like the way SilverStone is brave enough to try new layouts.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Why the SATA drive there and not where the alu cooling block is?

9. Lankius Maximus

I could very well be wrong, but the cooling block is positioned on the side panel (Top right corner of the right side panel) so that it fits against the hot swap bay (top left of the rear picture). Both fixed 3.5" brackets are passively cooled by the case itself (As I said I do stand to be corrected).

10. Lankius Maximus

Just. got the BIOS up so very chuffed.

Richard, Dont even attempt to install the lower CPU fan bracket if you are installing an aftermarket cooler plus fan. It looks as though it will fit, however after much creaking of both motherboard and heat sink I can certainly say (at least with the Gellid Tranquillo) it wont.

However I am pretty certain the the 120mm fan strapped to my fitted heatsink will do the job pretty much perfectly on its own. In fact when I held my hand over the top of the case whilst it was in BIOS there is a very strong/ wide flow of air and the fans were whisper quiet.

The cooler on the GPU is also beautifully quiet.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for the update, but I was going to use a Titan Skalli which is smaller, rathar than a Fenrir. I'll try both.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Its looking really good! I was even looking for a decent S775 mATX motherboard to see if I could swap my current system into one of these cases but i'll just have to hold off until i decide to upgrade I think.

13. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

That's the next case for me, I've been coveting one for a few months now...

14. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Looks great, I really want to get one now for my SB build.

Important question: will a Freezer 7 Pro/Freezer 13/Coolermaster 212 Plus fit in this case with the intake fan mounted?

15. Lankius Maximus

I honestly couldn't tell you and be 100% certain. However if you imagine that the lower bracket is only squeezed out by a couple of mm by the Tranquillo I will let you be the judge. The pro 7 uses a much smaller fan without the heavy plastic shroud of a stock fan so it may/ should fit. It was the shroud of the 120mm Tranquillo fan that really caused me the major issue.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Would it fit with a slimmer 120mm fan on the bracket, something like a Scythe Slip Stream 12mm?

17. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Would really be interested in how well the Asus P67-M Pro mobo preforms, as im considering going the microATX route.

18. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

I'm also planning to build one... but not until the LGA1356 and the 7xxx series from AMD comes out because i want to replace my core i7 920 and my 4870... but i will fit a H70 instead of an air cooler though...

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FYI: 7xxx series will be, at the very earliest, Q4 this year (all depends on TSMC 28nm). LGA2011 will replace LGA1366 by then too and I've heard no commitments to micro-ATX on that yet, plus, the Sandy Bridge replacement Ivy Bridge will be a few months off too..

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You guys finally pushed me over the edge and I ordered my new rig today so hopefully scan will deliver it tomorrow! I went with Bindi's suggestion on the cooler as that was the hardest part trying to find one that would fit and was a sensible price. I hope it fits Rich! :p