1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Small Form Factor PCs - Flawed By Design?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Feb 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Fantastic article

2. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

With what I've seen of fibreglass something like that could be made no problemo, come to think of it it's got a vague similarity to Andy's rig in his design in progress except his looks better cooled & just better, much better. :D

4. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

If only it was mass produced.:thumb:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

True, maybe a case manufacturer could buy the design off him, would be a smart move I imagine, case like that would be quite sought after I expect, unless Andy would rather say do one it's all mine. :D:p

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

considering l3p is currently doing a sff build with a watercooled asus mars II in it, i don't think there's any doubt that their limitations are only determined by the same thing a normal build is. money, imagination and skill. of course if you've got a shed load of money you wouldn't need the other 2! lol
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=212073

7. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

That isn't a SFF build, it just has a load of (expensive !) gear crammed into it ! IMHO

It is 60mm taller than my Thermaltake Bach.

But it is an astonishing piece of work.

dunx

P.S. Does a meshed up, up-ended Fractal Array count as a proper mod ? :D

8. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I'm glad you guys liked the article. It was fun to be able to contribute, and it was nice hearing Mike's perspective on SFF as well. One thing I didn't cover was what actually defines SFF. It tends to be a bit of a gray area sometimes. Simply setting a max on cubic volume isn't always the best approach. The Rogue was about as large as I'd ever want to call SFF, and IMHO only barely so, but got a pass from the amount of hardware packed in to it. Would you call any of the SilverStone SG cases SFF if they only housed a pico-ITX motherboard and nothing else? I certainly wouldn't want to, despite the fact that they technically fit the definition. I tend to think of SFF more in terms of utilizing available space efficiently.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I've got at least 6 systems in my house and over the last two years I've changed everything to SFF and I'm loving it. They take a little more planning to assemble but the space savings are definitely worth it.

The one thing I'd really like to see is a modified flex-ATX (Shuttle's longer almost-ITX SFF boards) standard. The advantage over mini-ITX is extra space for more memory slots, power phases, etc. This format also makes more sense if you are adding a discrete GPU since these are often longer than ITX boards anyway. The thing I'd change is to move the PCIe slot to the other side of the board and fold the slot 90 degrees (so the GPU would lay flat rather than stand up). That way the fans on the CPU and GPU would both face the same way (making thinner - back of the monitor - cases possible).

Code:
    Top view:

.----------.-----.
    |BACK PANEL|     |
    |  ___     |     |
    | /   \    |  G  |
    | |CPU|    |  P  |
    | \___/    |  U  |
    |          |     |
    |          |     |
    | RAM slots|     |
    | RAM slots|     |
    '----------'-----'

Back view:

_____ __________
    | GPU |Back Panel|
    '-----'----------'

The other thing i've been wanting is an A8-3870 in a nettop. Sadly I can't find a powerful enough pico-PSU :sigh:

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The thing with SFF-cases isn't actually that bad. What makes it kind of hard is when you want to build something eyecatching at the same time.

A mITX-based SFF-PC with a mid-range GPU like a GTX560 is easily doable within 10-11 litres of space. Granted, you've got to use 2.5" HDD/SSD and a SFX-PSU, but cooling isn't any problem there.

Here's what I'm currently aiming for...

[​IMG]

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

12. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Nice concept!

13. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

If you have a quick look at my design (in particular image 7 on the link in my original post on page 1), I am able to get a HIGH END spec GPU (7970) and FULL ATX PSU (160x150x86mm) in a case that is 10.7L volume (which is the only true way to compare sizes of cases since height, depth and width vary from case to case). I agree that you will need to use SSD's but these days you can use a 500GB (if you can afford it) for OS, games & programs and use an external USB drive or networked storage for Media (Movies/Music etc).

14. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

P.S. Nice design there!!

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

While I can understand that this guys native language might not be english, I still think it's lazy for you guys, to not have edited his words to be more in line what you are used to seeing in a published article.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

philosopher is working on the slimmest rig I've ever seen, incredible modding, instead of working on the case first he's modding the hell out of the hardware first & doing it excellent.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=226229

I like trying to cram but nicely cram & also like to have a complete rig, I'd be all over mini-ITX if there was space for a full size bigger GPU & a good sound card, I positively dislike onboard audio, mobo manufacturers of mini-ITX would win more people over if they put very good quality onboard audio on them, I'd cheerfully pay an extra £100 or even £150 for it but it would have to be very good quality audio just as good as my auzentech prelude, failing that it's choose between a GPU or sound card & sound card wins for me so next best is micro ATX so you can have sound card also but I prefer the available range of normal ATX really for a full system.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's a perfect little case.. I used to think about doing that- making the perfect sff case but never did

18. ALS

ALS Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags