1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone users!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowed_fury, 9 Jul 2010.

1. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

What you got? iPhone 4

What OS does it run on? iOS4

Fave uses? Email, games (Angry Birds!), photos, browsing websites, music (SQ not as good as my Sansa Clip+ but it means I only need to carry one device now).

Battery life? At best 2 days if I turn off GPS, 3G, wifi, screen brightness, vibration, sounds etc, otherwise a days use with everything on.

Dislikes? The oleophobic coating on the glass is so slippery I keep dropping the damn thing, I don't like the fact i have to convert all my music from flac to mp3 or alac for itunes to recognise it, itunes, our OWA server requires an 8 character password including capitals, numbers and special characters and my fingers are too fat for the portrait keyboard...

It's not an HTC Desire.

/Grumble.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

questions, good sir:
    why are you using flac on a portable device when even on very good equipment the differences are subtle (but yes, noticeable)? Surely you like to have space on your device for other things? The ipod/iphone audio circuitry really don't benefit from lossless files compared to, say, 320K mp3.
    and:
    Why are you not, like me, ripping music simultaneously to MP3 when ou rip to FLAC? the space overhead is negligible, basically an additional track, to create a 192VBR mp3 for portable devices. DBPowerAmp makes this very simple to do!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Phone 1:
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    iOS4
    Email and Media player for my commute to work
    1 to 2 days battery, but charge every night if i'm working the following day
    No widgest, loved my widgets from my Hero

Phone 2:
    iPhone Big (iPad 32GB 3G)
    iOS3.2
    Email, E-Books, Multimedia, Web Browsing, Games
    10 Hours constant use, or.... actually, no idea, not had it long enough yet
    No OS Update due for several more months

Sam

4. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro on O2.

Android 1.something.

Battery life - I play with it a lot at the moment, learning to use it, so probably 1.5-2 days max.

Fave uses - erm, making phonecalls and texting. It's a phone...

Dislike - my dirty finger marks on the touch screen.

For power saving, aside from Locale do people turn things on/off manually (wi-fi, 3G etc), or can you recommend a good, easy app? Something that shows actual battery % would be nice as it was easy on my old K800i but not so easy to find on this. Thanks :)

5. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Good question, primarily because my mp3's were originally ripped to 320kbps which as you say is fine for a higher capacity device with better SQ but I can't tell the difference on the iPhone between 320 and 192 on a decent conversion.

So I make a new copy from flac to a new bit rate.

Which is a little irritating.

Mainly because I always thought my ears were good enough to differentiate between 192kbps and 320kbps.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I have a new favourite program:

Juicedefender

Was initially sceptical of it's it's claimed battery life savings, but after using it i'm sold :D

Main part to it is that it disables pretty much everything when the screen is locked, only enabling background data for 1 minute in every 15 by default. enough to keep things updated but saves bucketloads of power.

I was mucho impressed and brought the app, turns out one of the features of the paid version is it using the cell tower location awareness to only enable WiFi when you're in the area of a network you have saved.
    so when i'm at home it enables Wifi and if i'm out it turns it off ^^

Been running it for ~10 hours now, and the battery has only dropped 5% since then with my normal usage :clap:

</sounding like a paid advert, but i'm genuinely impressed>

only niggle was it flat-out didn't work until i rebooted the phone, which it does not mention anywhere except a obscure post on the forums

pimonserry likes this.
  7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nice ! Thanks for the app mate. I'll try it when I get my Desire :D

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Random suggestion if you're getting a desire soon:

Buy some microUSB-USB cables :)

Most my devices are mini-USB and so i had shedloads of the cables. the Desire uses the newer micro-USB standard (rare now, but looks like its going to be the charger standard for mobile phones), but for now at least, i bet you'll only get the 1 supplied cable and it'll drive you nuts :D

As i found, sharing one cable between several plug-USB, car-USB and PC points will drive you bonkers :p

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Thanks for the advice. I always like having a USB cable with me so I can use my laptop at uni to charge my phone :)

10. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

I have a Sony Ericsson Satio.
    No idea what it runs on, the battery has never lasted more than a day, and after about 2 months it developed a bubble under the screen overnight, which has buggered the touch screen because it's constantly registering pressure there, so nothing else responds.

Worst.phone.ever.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That sounds like the Sony Ericsson W910i. What a POS. Randomly crashing, going "invalid SIM" randomly, etc.
    It's so bad that apparently most mobile providers in Europe and thr US stopped selling these, and replaced them with W950's for the consumers that had issues. :eeek:

That experience completely put me off of SE for good. Especially since my W810 was prone to crashing as well, though only once a week or so... not 4-5 times a day

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

funny... When I visited Ericsson in Montreal last year they were showing off because they are supposedly among the best in the industry :hehe:

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, apparently the W910i was plagued to death, quite literally.
    10-second-shutoff, which they fixed with a recall. Then endless firmware updates, none of which fixed the intermittant crashing, freezing, invalid SIM, etc. It worked well for the first month or so, and it was a stunning phone to start with... and then the problems started and got worse with time.

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Nexus One

Android Cyanogen 2.2 ROM

Phone, texting, browsing the web

~30 hours

Love this phone.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
  15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

do you like it?

16. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

what you got: htc desire. only had it since the weekend as i broke my iphone 3gs (got knocked into from behind in the street -- someone was running for a bus and shoved me to the side -- it fell out of my hand face first onto concrete) and i fancied a change.

what OS does it run on: android 2.1, i believe.

fave uses: text messaging, e-mail, twitter, facebook, youtube. i've yet to use it to make a call, heh.

battery life: seems alright so far. better than my 3gs at least. that's not saying much though!

dislikes: the fact the first one i got had two dead pixels on the screen. the media player is gash. i can see myself having to put another ipod touch (which i sold when i replaced it with an iphone) as i just can't stand it. i hate the fact all the games i've tried so far are pants. android market isn't anything close to being as good as the app store, imo. having said that, i do REALLY like it overall -- just going through that akward iphone > android transitional phase at the moment.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Love it.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

At first I was slightly worried when I saw that your 'dislike' paragraph was bigger than the others... But I don't intend on using the Desire as a media player so it's all good :thumb:

19. Deegee

Deegee What's a Dremel?

What you got?
    Nokia N95-2

What OS does it run on?
    Symbian Series 60 V3

Fave uses?
    Reading ebooks, accessing the internet via the wifi setup.

Battery life?
    Odd. Sometimes, it can hold a charge for days. Other times, it needs charging up on a daily basis.

I don't recomend it, due to the average battery life, Nokias habit of adding bugs to firmware updates (video recording now jerks if more than 3 seconds is recorded at full quality), and Vodafones (the N95-2 is a Vodafone-locked thing) shoddy customer service in general.

Edit: Oh, and Symbians stranglehold on 3rd-party software developers isn't a good thing either.

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

What you got?
    HTC HD2

What OS does it run on?
    Windows Mobile 6.5

Fave uses?
    Music, t'internet, facebook

Battery life?
    1-4 days depending on usage. Pretty good considering.